Windows 10: Unable to see Win7.1 shares

Discus and support Unable to see Win7.1 shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Although I'm able to see my desktop computer in the network folder of my laptop I can't open it to see any of the shares! My desktop is a Win 7.1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by philipW99, Aug 14, 2015.

1. philipW99 Win User

Unable to see Win7.1 shares

Although I'm able to see my desktop computer in the network folder of my laptop I can't open it to see any of the shares!

My desktop is a Win 7.1 Ultimate system fully up to date. My laptop was a Win 8.1 system and had no problems networking with the desktop. I've now upgraded the laptop to Win 10 Pro, and subsequently done a clean install as well. BIOS and drivers are all up to date. I can no longer see the shares on the desktop.

Networking, on both machines, are set so that network discovery is on, file and printer sharing are on, public folder sharing is on, 128-bit encryption is on, password protected sharing is on and use user accounts and passwords is on. User name and password is the same on both machines. I've also put an entry in credentials manager on the laptop for access to the desktop. AND still I can't see the shares on the desktop.

So I switched on Homegroup and went through the various settings with no improvement.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can get access to my desktop from my laptop?

P.S. I've put the same question on the Microsoft forum.

:)

philipW99, Aug 14, 2015
  2. philipW99 Win User

Unable to see shares on a Win7.1 desktop

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. I had expected that making sure those services were all set automatic and running would fix the problem but it didn't. I've now completely re-installed Win10 on the laptop and all is working fine.

philipW99, Aug 14, 2015
  3. Unable to see shares on a Win7.1 desktop

Hello Goodsn,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

I want to inform you that you can use the file sharing to share the things on two computers. The first time you connect to a network, you might be asked if you want to find PCs, devices, and content on the network, and automatically connect to devices
    like printers and TVs. Turning on this setting prepares your PC for sharing files and devices on a network. It also automatically sets the appropriate firewall and security settings for the type of network that you connected to. You can turn this off anytime.

Generally this issue appears if one or more of the dependency services are disabled. Please make sure the following services are enabled and running and set to Automatic. In order to check these services you need to press
    Windows key + R and type services.msc in the
    run box.

DNS Client

[*]Function Discovery Provider Host
    [*]Function Discovery Resource Publication
    [*]HomeGroup Listener
    [*]HomeGroup Provider
    [*]Network List Service
    [*]Peer Networking Grouping
    [*]Server
    [*]SSDP Discovery
    [*]UPnP Device Host

I would suggest you to run the Homegroup troubleshooter provided in the following article and other steps if required.

HomeGroup problems in Windows

Additional Information:

As you also know that file sharing is one of the best way to share files and folders among computers connected in a home group, work group or domain.

If you want to use file sharing I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in the following Microsoft article.

Share files and folders

You may also try the steps provided in the following article to share files to the devices connected in the network.

Find PCs, devices, and content on your network

You can also try different steps provided in the below mentioned tutorial to share files to the devices connected in the network.

Sharing
    files and printers

You may refer to the steps provided in the following articles. Though the article deals with
    Windows 7 but steps mentioned in this hold good for Windows 10 too.

Share files with someone

File sharing essentials

Hope this helps. If issue still persists, get back to us with current status of your computer and result of proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Aug 14, 2015
  4. philipW99 Win User

I've given up! Did a fresh install of Win10 on the laptop and all is now working.

philipW99, Aug 16, 2015
  5. linw Win User
    You gave up early. I can assure you that win 10 can access shares but it is a bit more picky on security but that is not a problem for you anymore!

6. philipW99 Win User
    I spoke too soon. Having been able to share files/folders for a whole day and having been able to sync about 100Gb of data it stopped working. I was unable to fix it for two days so am now on my second re-install of Win10. I'm just now trying to get the 2 machines (Win10 and Win7.1) to share with only using Ethernet, no access to internet and firewalls switched off. I'll then start eliminating individual elements unitl it stops working again at which point I'll, hopefully, have identified the failing component.

philipW99, Aug 18, 2015
  7. UKMedia Win User
    Are you logging on to the WIn10 Laptop with a local or ms account?

UKMedia, Aug 18, 2015
  8. philipW99 Win User

I'm logging on as a local account. My first time around I found that I had inadvertently converted to an MS Account and couldn't convert back. Hence the first need to re-install Win10.

philipW99, Aug 18, 2015
  9. UKMedia Win User
    Sorry but I'm having a similar issue now *Sad

If I watch a movie on a NAS device, after 10-15 mins, I lose connection to that NAS location. Never seen this before and has worked fine until today.... (This is playing via a Win 7 pc with MyMovies installed on a Win 10 PC and the movie located on a NAS)

UKMedia, Aug 19, 2015
  10. philipW99 Win User
    At the moment I've got networking working between the two machines. (I hate saying that as I think its tempting fate!).

I did a fresh install of Win10 Pro and setup a local account. I then installed all available updates. Then I installed all the Dell driver updates that were recommended for Win10 - its a Dell laptop XPS15-9530. I then tried networking via a router with Ethernet cables only. This worked, even without playing with firewall settings. Then I switched one machine over to WiFi networking and then the other. All is still working. One thing of note is that the Ethernet network setup on the Laptop (Win10) was automatically set as public. Even though the WiFi and Ethernet networks on the Desktop were set as private the two machines communicated without any troubles. I did eventually manage to change the Ethernet network on the laptop to private but it wasn't easy.

At this stage I don't know how I got it working or why it wasn't working previously. I'm just hoping that it'll keep working. If I find out anything pertinent I'll post back here.

philipW99, Aug 19, 2015
  11. UKMedia Win User
    I think we may be looking at the wrong place! I now suspect that it is the Win7 PC that has the issue, when the symptoms occur, the Win7 Network icon in the notification area has a warning ! against it. As I've just upgraded to Win10, I had assumed that to be the location of the fault. Checking update history now.

UKMedia, Aug 19, 2015
  12. philipW99 Win User
    If you've got a warning against the network icon on the Win7 machine it may well be that there's something wrong with your adapter or your router isn't connected to the internet. You may know all that already.

For me, I'm thoroughly confused. Having got it working yesterday evening I started up the two machines this morning and was unable to connect the two. I was using WifI. So, I switched both machines to cable connections and they started talking to each other. I then switched each machine back to WiFi and they continued to work. For a while. After a while they appeared to lose connection again so I did the trick with cable connection on a single machine and, voila, they were working again.

My conclusion was that there may be something about the wireless adapters that is amiss. So, I've upgraded the drivers for the wireless adapter on my desktop (Netgear A6210 attached via USB. There was a new driver version released a couple of days ago) and on the laptop (Intel AC-7260). As of now, as I type, I've got the machines talking to each other. We'll see how long that lasts.

Despite having upgraded the drives for the network adapters I don't really think that's the problem. There's got to be something in the software that's amiss. There are a number of people over on MS community that are suffering the same or similar problems of which I imagine MS might have to take notice.

philipW99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to see Win7.1 shares - Similar Threads - Unable Win7 shares

2. Single Win10 machine unable to map to a Win7 Shared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Single Win10 machine unable to map to a Win7 Shared: 2 Win10 both on build 19042. 1 has no issues with mapping to a shared folder on a shared folder on a Win7 machine\\10.1.1.100\Shared, while the other is getting "file and print sharing resource 10.1.1.100 is online but isn't responding to connection attempts." And details...
  3. Unable to see shared media on tv

Unable to see shared media on tv: Hello! I am having problems seeing shared media on my Sharp tv. The pc which is running 10 home 1809 shows folders shared, media shared. When I try and access the music from my tv, freesat box, dvd player or youview box etc. it sees the pc as a media server. I open the...
  4. unable to see shared network drive on router

unable to see shared network drive on router: How do I setup windows 10 to be able to see all my shared network devices? I am looking for my //net-storage/drive that is on my router. I did it long ago for another computer but forget how I managed to accomplish the task....
  5. Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files

Unable to see Desktop computer under Network to share files: Due to the HD crash i was obliged to change it and reinstall win10. Now i've another computer, an Asus laptop and is very important for me that such computers and in condivision. Yesterday night i've solved a problem open on the desktop the network icons and making the files...
  6. Unable to see the PC on network to share files

Unable to see the PC on network to share files: Hello, I am reaching out because my computer is not noticed on our network at my work. In the network we share crucial information and pictures of vehicles that we have for sale. My computer is the base for all of the pictures so I have to be seen by everyone. All of my...
  7. File sharing - unable to see other computers

File sharing - unable to see other computers: I have only two computers on my home network connected by a switch/router. It used to work fine when it comes to sharing and transferring files. They can usually see each other after turning on sharing for any individual folders or files, though, sometime, it does take a few...
  8. Unable to load Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to load Win7: Hi all, hoping I can call on your expertise please. I attempted to use a link on the MS website to upgrade my system to Win10, like other users here, my computer crashed at 82% progress after leaving it for most of the night. However, when my system was automatically...
  9. Can see files in folders shared on Win7 machine, but cannot open them

Can see files in folders shared on Win7 machine, but cannot open them: Four devices are connected to the Ethernet ports of the broadband router provided by my ISP: a Win7 Home Premium PC, a Win10 Pro NB and two Linux media players. The only problem with respect to file sharing among these devices is that the Win10 Pro NB can see, from File...
  10. Unable to See Samba Share

Unable to See Samba Share: Hi everyone, I'll try to keep it short. I have a headless ubuntu server that has a samba server. It's connected to the network with a cable (not wifi) and has a static IP. My desktop (also wired with static IP) is unable to see the samba share at all: not when I go to the...