Windows 10: Unable to select correct drive to index

Discus and support Unable to select correct drive to index in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Windows 10 system has two drives. The C: drive is an SSD that was cloned from the HD which is now D:. Both drives are operating correctly except... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RichardAustinMK, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Unable to select correct drive to index

My Windows 10 system has two drives. The C: drive is an SSD that was cloned from the HD which is now D:. Both drives are operating correctly except when it comes to indexing. When I access the Indexing Options control panel, and 'Modify' I am given a list to 'Change selected locations'. I am able to select C: , but the 'Summary of selected locations' says that D: is selected. Selecting D: works as expected.An apparently similar problem is covered in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-indexing-selects-wrong-drive/685ec87b-e7f3-454b-89c9-c485b94bb69d .

:)

RichardAustinMK, Mar 5, 2022
  2. RockFoxx Win User

Windows 10 indexing selects wrong drive

I used a bootable CD containing
    EaseUS
    disk copier to clone the Win8.1 drive to a new HDD.

At your suggestion I tried changing the drive letter of the 8.1 disk from D: to I:. This did not fix the problem. When I select the C: drive to index it jumps to the I: drive and does not index any of the C: drive.

Again, I went into Device Manager and disabled to 2nd disk (the original 8.1) and that corrected the problem.

RockFoxx, Mar 5, 2022
  3. GeoDale Win User
    Windows 10 indexing selects the wrong drive

Hello,

I too am having the same issue as
    RockFoxx
    . I have 3HDD, my bootable drive (cUnable to select correct drive to index :) is an SDD, the other two drives are identical 2TB WD Black HDD identified as d: and g:, respectively. They are not cloned drives and contain unique data.

Regardless of whether I select to add d: or g: (or check both) under the Modify index option, it will only add my g: drive. It's like Windows 10's index sees the two drives as the same and defaults, in my case, always to g:. I upgraded from 8.1 where I
    had no issues.

PS. I tried the following fixes:

• Running Index Trouble Shooter
    • Changing drive letters
    • Disabling and reenabling the drives
    • Rebuilt the Index
    • Swapping the drives SATA slots on the Motherboard.
    • CMD commands tried:
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • sfc /scannow
    • powershell
    • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    So far, no fix. And like
    RockFoxx
    , if I disable either of the drives then Index will work as expected. Reenable and the only option I have is g: again. Very frustrating.

Any help would be appreciated.

GeoDale, Mar 5, 2022
  4. Unable to select correct drive to index

Unable to display drive data

Hi Sachin,

I suggest that you rebuild the File indexing. Follow the below steps:

• Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button
    • Clicking Control Panel.
    • Type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.

• Click Advanced.

• In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab

• Click Rebuild.
    Check and let us if the steps helped to fix the issue.

Vinod Archak, Mar 5, 2022
Thema:

Unable to select correct drive to index

1. Unable to select correct drive to index - Similar Threads - Unable select correct

2. Indexing does not index boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Indexing does not index boot drive: I have a boot drive and a backup drive cloned from the boot drive for emergencies. Indexing only finds the backup drive, which is overwritten by the clone program's boot drive backup weekly. If I modify indexing settings to index only the C boot drive, the backup H drive is...
  3. Indexing does not index boot drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Indexing does not index boot drive: I have a boot drive and a backup drive cloned from the boot drive for emergencies. Indexing only finds the backup drive, which is overwritten by the clone program's boot drive backup weekly. If I modify indexing settings to index only the C boot drive, the backup H drive is...
  4. Change Selected Indexed Locations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Selected Indexed Locations: Hello, I was unchecking folders that I don't want to show up when searching windows, and I came across a folder location checked under index locations "CSC://{S-1-5-21-#####" bunch of numbers. I attached screenshot. It says to this location not available, uncheck to stop find...
  5. Change Selected Indexed Locations

Change Selected Indexed Locations: Hello, I was unchecking folders that I don't want to show up when searching windows, and I came across a folder location checked under index locations "CSC://{S-1-5-21-#####" bunch of numbers. I attached screenshot. It says to this location not available, uncheck to stop find...
  6. List of drives to be indexed is not created correctly, cannot generate indexing properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    List of drives to be indexed is not created correctly, cannot generate indexing properly: I use windows 10I have multiple drives. When I try to re-index, ticked drives are not displayed correctly in the index list. If I tick C, D will appear in the index list. etc In the "serach" mask, I cannot delete several drives from the "folders to be excluded" list. How can...
  7. Unable to select correct drive to index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to select correct drive to index: My Windows 10 system has two drives. The C: drive is an SSD that was cloned from the HD which is now D:. Both drives are operating correctly except when it comes to indexing. When I access the Indexing Options control panel, and 'Modify' I am given a list to 'Change selected...
  8. Unable to select correct drive to index

Unable to select correct drive to index: My Windows 10 system has two drives. The C: drive is an SSD that was cloned from the HD which is now D:. Both drives are operating correctly except when it comes to indexing. When I access the Indexing Options control panel, and 'Modify' I am given a list to 'Change selected...
  9. Indexing options unable to add drives mounted on other drives

in Cortana
    Indexing options unable to add drives mounted on other drives: I mount a read-only nas inside of E:\ to keep media separated from my software. After I decided to make my searchui.exe feel more comfortable with my installation I noticed I couldn't add these devices to the indexed locations, but if I indexed a subfolder I could search it...
  10. Unable to select the correct .mdb database

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to select the correct .mdb database: I have an application that stores its data in a .mdb database. I have taken over the database from a previous PC and installed the application with a basic database on the new windows 10 pc. I can locate the file using windows explorer and it shows the correct file size....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows index wrong drive letter