Windows 10: Unable to select multiple files/folders on Windows 10

Discus and support Unable to select multiple files/folders on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Dear All, I have been trying to do multiple selection of files with my windows 10 tablet in touch mode (without mouse and without keyboard) in the MS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HeyKeys, May 17, 2019.

1. HeyKeys Win User

Unable to select multiple files/folders on Windows 10

Dear All,

I have been trying to do multiple selection of files with my windows 10 tablet in touch mode (without mouse and without keyboard) in the MS file explorer. The files are pictures, which I watch in view "extra large icons" to be sure I select the correct ones.

Under "view" I have selected the option "Item check boxes". Despite of this, it is very hard to select with fingers multiple files for an operation (e.g. move): When you click in a box with your finger, in general it leads to the unselection of another file you had clicked previously. Sometimes it works: you manage to select two files at the same time, but the risk is high that when you select a third box/file, you loose all the selections, and end up only with the third box ticked.

Of course when you have a keyboard, it is easy to select multiple files using the control key. However the idea of a tablet is to use only the fingers.

Mutliple selection works better when I select the "content" view" instead of extra large icons. Not sure why. However the problem in such a case is that the pictures are very small, so I cannot really see if I am selecting the correct file or not.... I need to be able to do selection in "extra large icons" or "large icons".

So to summarize: it seems that multiple selection of pictures using only touch in MS file explorer is very difficult. Android seems to have a much better solution (MS could learn from ES file explorer).

Or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

***Modified the title from Multiple selection in "touch mode" for windows tablet user***

***Moved from the category Apps on Windows 10 / Other Windows apps / Productivity***

:)

HeyKeys, May 17, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 17, 2019
  3. Can't select multiple files in windows 10

I know this is an OLDER post, but this issue still arises in Whinedows 10

Until now, I have been unable to select multiple files by the standard left click and hold then dragging a box over them, in any folder or on the desktop. Right clicking will multiple select files, but on releasing the button, it only offers the standard
    right click menu not the drag and drop or copy and paste option I am wanting.

As NONE of the suggestions above fixed the issue I had, I kept looking until I found the REAL FIX for
    MY problem. If this is shared by anyone else, this is how I fixed the issue on my PC.

In the control panel options mentioned in many replies, the box to be unticked is " Use check boxes to select items ". This does NOTHING to fix the drag and drop fault. All this option does is add a tick box next to the list of folder items. The " FIX "
    is the button BELOW this one. UNCHECK the stupid "Use Sharing Wizard" checkbox and drag/drop and copy/paste are all working fine now.

Dont AskDont Tell, May 17, 2019
  4. Unable to select multiple files/folders on Windows 10

Can't select multiple files in windows 10

Hi James,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + X on the keyboard at once.
    • Select Control Panel. Then, select
      Folder Options.
    • Under General Tab, in Click
      items as follows, select the Double Click to open an Item
      option.
    • Click on OK to save the setting

Restart the computer for good measure.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, May 17, 2019
Thema:

Unable to select multiple files/folders on Windows 10

1. Unable to select multiple files/folders on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Unable select multiple

2. Selecting Multiple Files in the Same Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Selecting Multiple Files in the Same Folder: I have a folder containing 5 PDF files, named 01, 02, 03, 04, 05. They are shown in numerical order I have the view sort by file name.When I double click one file, it opens Adobe reader, like it should.If I click the first file then shift+click the second file, right click...
  3. Selecting Multiple Files in the Same Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Selecting Multiple Files in the Same Folder: I have a folder containing 5 PDF files, named 01, 02, 03, 04, 05. They are shown in numerical order I have the view sort by file name.When I double click one file, it opens Adobe reader, like it should.If I click the first file then shift+click the second file, right click...
  4. Selecting Multiple Files in the Same Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to select file/ folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to select file/ folder: From today , when ever I select a file or folder , "Do you want to move this file / folder to recycle bin ?" is asked .instead of allowing me to proceed furth* Moved from Community Center...
  6. Unable to select file/ folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to select file/ folder: From today , when ever I select a file or folder , "Do you want to move this file / folder to recycle bin ?" is asked .instead of allowing me to proceed furth* Moved from Community Center...
  7. Select multiple files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Select multiple files: Selecting multiple files using control key has stopped. What has happened. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/select-multiple-files/6d74d5ba-2fb5-4c21-bd6c-56cf151b442f
  8. Windows selects multiple folders on selecting single folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows selects multiple folders on selecting single folder: Windows selects multiple files/folders when tapping a single file/folder and when I try to open that file ,windows explorer opens all the files in multiple windows....and it's very annoying.. can't do anything with the laptop and some issues with the keyboard occurs when this...
  9. Windows 10 - Unable to select multiple files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 - Unable to select multiple files.: Hi all. Iam in an incredibly frustrating predicament. I have windows 10 installed - and I've only had this issue after I installed windows 10 (for some reason it was never with windows 7 I had before) On occasions (at random) my PC decides not to allow me to select multiple...
  10. Windows 10 - Unable to select multiple files.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 - Unable to select multiple files.: Hi all. Iam in an incredibly frustrating predicament. I have windows 10 installed - and I've only had this issue after I installed windows 10 for some reason it was never with windows 7 I had before On occasions at random my PC decides not to allow me to select multiple...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 unable to select multiple files