Windows 10: Unable to select which input device to use

Discus and support Unable to select which input device to use in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Previously my PC gave me a window that I used to select which auxiliary input device to use. However it stopped showing this window. I cannot select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JWR-, Mar 18, 2020.

1. JWR- Win User

Unable to select which input device to use

Previously my PC gave me a window that I used to select which auxiliary input device to use.

However it stopped showing this window.

I cannot select either external speakers or headphones to use, and also the size small, medium or large

:)

2. No input devices on OS selection screen

Have you even read my question, because your 'answer' would suggest not. I already have a dual boot system, my problem is that NO INPUT DEVICES WORK ON THE OS SELECTION SCREEN. This renders me unable to boot into any OS other than Windows 10. This means
    I cannot access my previous operating system. If you have any advice that is relevant to my problem please feel free to provide it.

Nigel Wade, Mar 18, 2020
  3. A Monell Win User
    confused about selecting boot device

This is good information but I am confused about step 2 below. Wouldn't I need to select whatever device, USB or DVD, the install media is on at this point and not how I want the final install to boot?
    Thanks,and sorry for dragging up an old post but it had most of the info I was looking for.

It is up to you whether you want to install Windows using MBR or GPT and you need to set the option in the BIOS for MBR or GPT style installation.

Having said that. Here's the steps:
    1. Disconnect all HD/SSD except the one you will be installing Windows
    2. From the boot menu, Select #1 for GPT or select #2 for MBR to boot up the Windows Installation
      Attachment 29081
      NOTE: The screen is an example and might look different from yours
    3. Once the Windows Installation started. On the first screen, Press and hold SHIFT Key + F10, a command Windows will popup then type:
      - diskpart
      - select disk 0
      - Clean
      - Exit
      - Exit
    4. Click Next to continue.
    5. Select Custom
    6. Select the first unallocated partition and click next. Windows will create all needed partitions to install Windows 10
    7. Follow all the rest of the instruction to complete.

MBR installation:
    1. 500MB System Reserved partition
    2. C: Drive
    GPT installation:
    1. 450MB recovery partition
    2. 100MB EFI System Partition
    3. 16MB MSR partition
    4. C drive.
    [/QUOTE]

A Monell, Mar 18, 2020
  4. Unable to select which input device to use

‚New Input method selection‘ prevents touch calibration.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums

You may try the below suggested steps to disable Input Indicator.

1. Press Windows and
      I key on your keyboard > Click on Personalization.
    2. Click on Taskbar.
    3. Click on Turn system icons on or off
      under Notification area.
    4. Move the slider to off next to
      Input indicator and check the status of the issue.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

Unable to select which input device to use

1. Unable to select which input device to use - Similar Threads - Unable select input

2. Select which aliases can be use to sign-in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Select which aliases can be use to sign-in: It would be great if we could select the Microsoft account linked aliases that can be used to sign-inHere's an example. Two of the aliases used on my account are old email adresses, I need to keep active, but to avoid suspect attempt logins happening every day on my account...
  3. Select which aliases can be use to sign-in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Select which aliases can be use to sign-in: It would be great if we could select the Microsoft account linked aliases that can be used to sign-inHere's an example. Two of the aliases used on my account are old email adresses, I need to keep active, but to avoid suspect attempt logins happening every day on my account...
  4. Phantom Input and unable to use Windows Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phantom Input and unable to use Windows Menu: After I quit a game in which I was using a controller. When I try to access the start menu or any windows menu, it seems like a directional button is being pressed meaning I cannot access anything on the menu due to this input. I have tried to use both keyboard and controller...
  5. Phantom Input and unable to use Windows Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phantom Input and unable to use Windows Menu: After I quit a game in which I was using a controller. When I try to access the start menu or any windows menu, it seems like a directional button is being pressed meaning I cannot access anything on the menu due to this input. I have tried to use both keyboard and controller...
  6. Selecting which Program On Desktop To Use ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Selecting which Program On Desktop To Use ?: Hi, Not important, but was just wondering: Let's say I have several programs running, and they all show on my desktop as being one on top of the other. No real problem, I can find the box at the top, or some other way, that would select that one to use. Is there a simple menu...
  7. Using 2 Input Devices Simultaneously

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using 2 Input Devices Simultaneously: I am using a surface pro with video capture software, I am looking to have 2 people use separate headsets to speak for the video. When I go to my input settings it only allows me to select one. Is this possible to do?...
  8. Why is my new microphone not appearing as a selectable input device?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why is my new microphone not appearing as a selectable input device?: So i just recently got myself the Rode NT1-A and was suprised by the fact it is not even appearing in my microphone settings as a selectable device. I got a neewer phantom power so the mic would actually be able to work because its a condenser microphone. This problem...
  9. using shutdown.exe which switches duplicate the "sleep" selection

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    using shutdown.exe which switches duplicate the "sleep" selection: Rather than click four or five times to put Win10 into sleep mode, a shortcut to shutdown.exe with a couple of switches are now in my start menu. Unfortunately, the switches in use actually perform a complete shutdown. Are there switches for this program that actually perform...
  10. Unable to use Hiragana input in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to use Hiragana input in Windows 10: I need to input Japanese hiragana as well as English. I downloaded the Japanese language set. Following all kinds of help I just was unable to get the hiragana keyboard. I have the EN / JP language icon on my taskbar but I cannot type in Japanese. I don't have the option to...