Windows 10: Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

Discus and support Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am creating a new thread since my original problem "Unable to create Desktop Short cut nor New Folder in Windows 10" has been closed as solved.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Proger1, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Proger1 Win User

Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

I am creating a new thread since my original problem "Unable to create Desktop Short cut nor New Folder in Windows 10" has been closed as solved. Wanted to report the following for those who responded to the problem: Feedback Report I have logged as Administrator and found that I can both Send To Desktop (Create Shortcut) as well as create a New Folder anywhere in File Explorer. I have logged into safe mode and found I can both Send To Desktop (Create Shortcut) as well as create a New Folder anywhere in File Explorer. I downloaded Windows 10 21H1 version installation media (ISO) using the media creation tool to a USB stick. I then did a Windows 10 upgrade per the article by PaulSey (to run an in-place upgrade). Surprisingly and fortunately, everything went fine; even all my desktop icons where in the same places after a reboot. After the upgrade I found that in File Explorer I could create a New Folder but still cant send to Desktop (Create Shortcut). I went through all the disable/ enable services and all then did the same for all the items in the start-up menu. Only my antivirus program could not be disabled. I rechecked and found I could still do both process in safe mode or as logging on as Administrator. I recheck the files for any corruption via sfc. Sfc/scannow reported there were corrupted files which were repaired and created a log file a mile long. I couldnt fine which files were repaired. I have reached my limit on the error message when I try to save a shortcut to the desktop which as you may recall is: Windows couldn't create the shortcut. Check to see whether the disk is full. In fact the spare space on my C Drive has increased by 10 Gigs. Now I have found a work-around. I can create a short cut within File Explorer itself and then move it to the Desktop. Thank you for the help and patience. Windows Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1110)

:)

Proger1, Jul 26, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Send to - Desktop (create shortcut)

The solution I offered works for both folders and files to create a desktop shortcut.

Example- rt click on dummy folder, and the result:

Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut [​IMG]

Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut [​IMG]

Naturally you can redefine the icon in the context menu, and name it as you wish.

dalchina, Jul 26, 2021
  3. Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders

This is the thread referred to
    cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders

which has been marked solved.
    ===========================================================

I suggest you try this
    New Context Menu - Restore Default Items in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

option 1 - first download - restore all default

Macboatmaster, Jul 26, 2021
  4. Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

Windows 10 Send to Desktop as Shortcut is missing

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys and Type "shell:sendto" in
      RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open "Send To" folder.
    • Now right-click on blank area in the folder and select "New -> Text document". It'll create a text file with the name "New Text Document.txt". Rename this file and set its name to "Desktop (create shortcut).DeskLink".
    • That's it. Now you'll get "Desktop (create shortcut)" option back in "Send To" menu.
    NOTE: Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" option is disabled in "Folder
    Options"

Hope it helps. Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut

1. Unable to Send to Desktop - Create Shortcut - Similar Threads - Unable Send Desktop

2. Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a shortcut to create desktop shortcuts ?: I'm working on a software to help blind people use computers, and I'm searching for a way for them to create desktop icons/shortcut to Web sites. Is there a way to do this only using the keyboard ? I tried using the Shift + F10, but this doesn't work if an icon is selected,...
  3. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers: Mainly when I play games I just like to double click on the desktop shortcut and launch the application...but for whatever reason games from launchers like the Microsoft Store, Xbox PC app, Epic Games, and Steam just create blank .url files on my desktop when using the...
  4. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers: Mainly when I play games I just like to double click on the desktop shortcut and launch the application...but for whatever reason games from launchers like the Microsoft Store, Xbox PC app, Epic Games, and Steam just create blank .url files on my desktop when using the...
  5. Unable to create desktop shortcuts from launchers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot send Shortcut to Desktop and cannot create New Folders: Hi, I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows which scares me. Ztruker asked: You asked...
  7. cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot send shortcut to Desktop and cannot create new folders: Hi all, Appreciate all the welcome posts. I'm using Win 10 Home and have reached the point where I cannot send a shortcut to the Desktop and cannot create new folders. I have checked the system files and found no problems. I'm afraid I'm going to do a reinstall of Windows...
  8. Send to - Desktop (create shortcut)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Send to - Desktop (create shortcut): Basically, i want to remove "send to" from the right click menu and in it's place, just have "Desktop (create shortcut)". So, you right click an icon and can immediately make the shortcut to the desktop without sliding the menu out. i never use any of the other shortcuts and...
  9. Creating a desktop shortcut

in Browsers and Email
    Creating a desktop shortcut: All I want to do is create a Desktop shortcut & icon for Microsoft Edge. Simple I thought, but I cannot do it. If I move an icon in the source folder, either an exe or lnk, to the Desktop it does not launch when clicked, or when I click open or run as Admin. Sometimes I cant...
  10. Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows: How to: Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows How to Change Send to Desktop (create shortcut) Icon in Windows The drives. This tutorial will show you how to change the icon for the Send to > Desktop (create shortcut) context menu item to any icon...