Windows 10: Unable to set core affinity

Discus and support Unable to set core affinity in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been having a serious problem with the Steam Client Webhelper recently, where I'm in a group voice chat and all of a sudden it's using serious... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Azhrei, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Azhrei Win User

Unable to set core affinity

I've been having a serious problem with the Steam Client Webhelper recently, where I'm in a group voice chat and all of a sudden it's using serious processor time. Just yesterday I was playing in the BFV beta when I noticed sudden system lag, with the fps dropping down from about 78 to 7. Alt-tabbing out, I found the Webhelper process was using 75% (75%!!) of my CPU time. I tried to set core affinity but that option isn't immediately available it seems in Windows 10's task manager, you have to click on Go To Details.

But, of course, Go To Details was greyed out.

Steam had a bit of a meltdown, restarted, all was fine. But this keeps happening, and I'm not the only one it's happening to as I see online. I'm going to try and reinstall Steam later today but I don't see that fixing it, so the only thing I can think of is to force Windows to set a lower priority on the Webhelper.

So how can I do that when it won't let me? Thanks in advance guys.

:)

Azhrei, Sep 8, 2018
  2. Davie_C Win User

How to set 8 core cpu in affinity settings

Here is how to set your affinity settings using 8 core cpu splitting them into two 4 cpu cores

cmd.exe /c start "WoWSLauncher" /affinity F "C:\Games\World_of_Warships\WoWSLauncher.exe"

As you can see I added "F" next to /affinity that will let you use just 4 cores 0,1,2,3

I can do it easy in task manager but got to keep doing it everytime i want to play the game.

So if you want to use 0 1 2 3 cores just for the game you would add "F" in your line like so..

for cores 4,5,6,7 Do this....

Add F0 next to /affinity like so

cmd.exe /c start "obs32" /affinity F0 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\32bit\obs32.exe"

cmd.exe /c start "obs64" /affinity F0 "C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe"

Depends on if using 32 or 64bit of the os.

If doing it for obs it will not work as it can't find locale\eng-US.ini and failed to load locale but file is there.

So thats how you would set your affinity settings splitting 8 cores into two 4 cores

Am using windows 10.

You want to use 0,1,2,3 for the game and 4,5,6,7 for obs.

Only thing is that it does not save the settings of affinity after you exit the game it will return back to 8 cores when you start the game again.

So if anyone knows how to Save the settings then please post here as i have hunted on the net for awhile now.

Davie_C, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Parked cores? Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community. I understand your concern and I will certainly help you with it.

Many apps don't use all cores. They aren't programmed for it. Then they will use one core and will overload it.

But you can tell Windows to run that process on 2,3, ... and in all cores.

For doing it, follow these steps:

• Open Task Manager
    • Select tab Processes
    • Right click and select 'Set Affinity'
    • Select on which cores you want to run process.
    Hope this post helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Seany1212 Win User

Setting Affinity

Ive got an athlon X2 and i like to set which cores my programs run on but its a pain in the ass to have to start up the program then ctrl-alt-del to get into process and change it there, what im wanting to know is can i add code to the end of the shortcuts so that the program specifically starts up on core 2 for example. Dont really want to use a program to set the affinity just wondering if you can do it with a bit of code. *Smile Unable to set core affinity :)

Seany1212, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to set core affinity - Similar Threads - Unable set core

2. How do I set affinity to 4 cores in a shortcut?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I set affinity to 4 cores in a shortcut?: I doing some retro-gaming with Fallout 4. It weas crashing to desktop every few minutes. What finally fixed my issue was going into the task manager and restricting the program to 2 cores. I've read that it will use 4 fine. I came across an article regarding setting affinity...
  3. How do I set affinity to 4 cores in a shortcut?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I set affinity to 4 cores in a shortcut?: I doing some retro-gaming with Fallout 4. It weas crashing to desktop every few minutes. What finally fixed my issue was going into the task manager and restricting the program to 2 cores. I've read that it will use 4 fine. I came across an article regarding setting affinity...
  4. Windows Defender - set affinity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender - set affinity: Computer is unusable while scanning, and there is some restriction to release couple of CPU cored for the process. How to circumvent this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-set-affinity/44ad5fdc-f0a4-46db-8344-74ce65353bdf
  5. Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.: The title basically says it all. Recently for some reason most processes are launched with a default affinity set in task manager to only use the first 4 processor cores/threads. I have an 8 core 16 thread cpu, so this is utilizing only 1/4 of the CPU and I have noticed a...
  6. Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.: The title basically says it all. Recently for some reason most processes are launched with a default affinity set in task manager to only use the first 4 processor cores/threads. I have an 8 core 16 thread cpu, so this is utilizing only 1/4 of the CPU and I have noticed a...
  7. Default affinity for applications set to only use first 4 cpu cores.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. How to set the affinity of an app to single core ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to set the affinity of an app to single core ?: Hi everyone, Recently I had this weird issue where my output sound is disgusting when the affinity of "audiodg.exe" is set to more than one core. I'd like to know if there is a solution to set the affinity of an app to single core without specifying which core ? Thanks...
  9. Setting program affinity in Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Setting program affinity in Win10: I've heard of ways to make certain programs use only one core by going on the process tab in the task manager and setting affinity, but I've never found this affinity option. I have installed a very old game and it lags because the PC isn't rly built for that, and I need...
  10. CPU Core Affinity is getting randomly set to only 2 cores on multiple applications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CPU Core Affinity is getting randomly set to only 2 cores on multiple applications: Title. One minute I'm sitting there playing Factorio, using all of my CPU cores to simulate the game at 60FPS, and then the game all of a sudden only has two CPU cores assigned to it: 20fps. I get this with multiple processes all the time. Chrome; Spotify; some Windows...