Windows 10: Unable to set default playback device

Discus and support Unable to set default playback device in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello! I have installed VB Virtual audio cable to be able to change my voice through fl studio and into Discord. After which everything was working... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Used-Sock69, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Unable to set default playback device

Hello!

I have installed VB Virtual audio cable to be able to change my voice through fl studio and into Discord. After which everything was working fine, until the next boot-up of my PC. I have no sound playing and after looking into it, I realised that Windows detected VB Virtual Audio Cable as my default playback device. I tried to change it to my actual speakers, but the "Default" button is greyed out. There is a disabled icon next to my speakers. The enable button shows up but it when I click it nothing changes and it stays disabled. I have no Windows updates to install, which led me to here.

Thank you for your answers in advance!

Regards,
    LTTP

submitted by /u/Used-Sock69
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Used-Sock69, Apr 8, 2021

2. Default Playback devices are not retaining their settings.

We appreciate the information that you've provided. The next step that we recommend you to do is to disable all the sound drivers on your
    Device Manager since the sound driver has 2 components. We have to identify which sound driver works best on your device by following these steps:

• Type in Device Manger on the Search box.
    • Click the drop-down arrow for the Audio inputs and outputs and
      Sound, video and game controllers drivers.

• Unable to set default playback device 33e66a89-f361-49a8-9a7e-cd5c26ea169f.png
    • Right click each drivers found on the suggested lists and select Disable.
    • Once you've disabled all the sound drivers, repeat steps 1 to
      3 but this time enable one driver at a time and check which driver will retain the desired
      Playback device settings.

You can leave the other sound drivers disabled, once you've identified which driver works on your device.

Let us know if you encounter any challenges along the process.

Darwin Dim, Apr 8, 2021
  3. PapaMoose Win User
    Setting default audio playback

I've had trouble with Rocksmith 2014 remastered and sent an email to Ubisoft forum and they told me to do the following to fix the problem:
    This issue is almost always solved by changing the default audio playback to be DVD quality.

1. Navigate to Control Panel --> Hardware and Sound --> Sound.
    2. Highlight the default Playback device and select Properties.
    3. On the Advanced tab, set the default format to be 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality).

Only thing is, when I get to the last step, it won't let me change the default format. There is no button and the numbers (16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)) are greyed out. How do I do what they are saying?

PapaMoose, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Unable to set default playback device

Different default playback device for each user profile.

Hi hs369258,

Windows 10 has a feature that allows you to select a default sound output. If you want to replace your current audio device, you can select the other audio playback device available on your system and set it as
    default. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the sound icon in your system tray and click
      Playback Devices.
    2. On the Playback tab, check which device is the default. Then, right-click it then set it to default.

In addition, you can visit this link:
    https://winaero.com/blog/change-default-audio-device-windows-10/
    to perform an alternative option to change your default audio device.

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Johann Eva, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Unable to set default playback device

1. Unable to set default playback device - Similar Threads - Unable set default

2. Shortcut / script to switch default Playback Device setting between two devices?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shortcut / script to switch default Playback Device setting between two devices?: I regularly switch between two default audio devices - my headphones when I'm sitting, and my second monitor's built-in speakers for when I'm afk / standing / doing stuff around my room. I'd like to be able to streamline the process as much as I can, because it helps me be a...
  3. playback device unable to use a mic

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    playback device unable to use a mic: hello! so i recently discovered a problem, my playback device cannot be used with a mic, whenever I try to use a mic with the playback device, all audio just stops. btw I am using a Bluetooth headphone that has a mic. thanks for the help! btw please don't tell me to reinstall...
  4. Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Select playback device doesn't change the default communication device.: I often switch between my headset and the monitor for audio, and while this is simply done for most applications by clicking the volume icon in the taskbar and changing devices, this only changes the default audio device, not the default communication device. This becomes a...
  5. unable to listen to device through playback settings

unable to listen to device through playback settings: So about a month ago i updated my sound drivers - and ever since then i have been unable to listen to my mic through the playback settings, i can listen to it through the record/mic settings but then there is a lag. I can't even back up to the point prior the update. How can...
  6. How to set an app to use Default Communication Device instead of Default Playback device

How to set an app to use Default Communication Device instead of Default Playback device: In my Windows 10 system, I have multiple audio devices. Ex: TV as HDMI monitor, USB Speakers, Headset connected to the front panel Headphone/Mic ports. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Most applications use the Default Playback device (currently set to USB Speakers as indicated by the...
  7. Cannot Change Default Playback Device

Cannot Change Default Playback Device: I did a fresh install of windows 10 pro from windows 7 and I'm already starting to hate myself. I open the playback devices tab under sound and click on my Siberia v2 illuminated headset and click set as default device and it does nothing. I can't disable my speakers or...
  8. Setting default audio playback

Setting default audio playback: I've had trouble with Rocksmith 2014 remastered and sent an email to Ubisoft forum and they told me to do the following to fix the problem: This issue is almost always solved by changing the default audio playback to be DVD quality. 1. Navigate to Control Panel -->...
  9. Windows 10 and Playback Sounds device defaults

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 and Playback Sounds device defaults: My DELL laptop with Win10 is usually coupled to a HD Monitor with speakers. When I disconnect it and go mobile, Win10 doesn't automatically find and default to the laptop's own speakers??? Any ideas please how to get Win10 to handle this? 50797
  10. Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10: How to: Change Default Audio Playback Device in Windows 10 How to Change Default Sound Output Device in Windows 10 The default audio playback device is the device that Windows uses to output (play) sound. When you connect speakers, headphones, Bluetooth headset, or...