Windows 10: Unable to set exclusions in Windows Defender

Discus and support Unable to set exclusions in Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am a long-time lurker here but this is my first post here. I have an HP desktop and a Toshiba laptop, both updated to Windows 10... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jimmy9190, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Jimmy9190 Win User

Unable to set exclusions in Windows Defender

Hello everyone,

I am a long-time lurker here but this is my first post here. I have an HP desktop and a Toshiba laptop, both updated to Windows 10 and would like to just use Defender as my primary AV. Both computers have Defender enabled, MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium, also running the free version of CryptoPrevent. Defender appears to be working OK but I want to set exclusions in it for my MBAM programs. The problem is all of the settings for extensions in Defender are all grayed out and I can not use them at all. I thought it was a real time conflict so I removed MBAM Premium and the exclusions problem still exists. Here is a screen shot of my Defender exclusion settings page. I appreciate any help or suggestions on this.

Thanks,

Jimmy

:)

Jimmy9190, Jul 30, 2016

2. Virus and malware

unable to remove exclusions on windows defender and firewall turns frequently

Azharuddins, Jul 30, 2016
  3. Unable to add exclusions in Windows defender, options are greyed out.

everything is gray such like this, and i already be an administrator.

what should i do

Original title: can not add the exclusions_windows defender

Unable to set exclusions in Windows Defender [​IMG]

wqbzhdqshmz, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Unable to set exclusions in Windows Defender

MoxieMomma, Jul 31, 2016
  5. Jimmy9190 Win User
    Thanks, I looked all over the Internet and can not find a solution. Maybe the next big update for Windows 10 will correct the problem, but my MBAM, MBAE and Defender all work fine, I just can not set any exclusions. From what I understand from Bleeping Computer and the Malwarebytes site the exclusions really are not necessary anyway so I can leave well enough alone for now. I still would like to see the problem corrected though. For now I guess it's OK.

Jimmy

Jimmy9190, Jul 31, 2016
  6. Run CMD as admin and copy/paste (this will reset WD's settings):

reg delete "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /f

TairikuOkami, Jul 31, 2016
  7. Jimmy9190 Win User
    Well I feel stupid now. You can not change Defender's settings or make any exclusions when signed in on a standard user account. I switched to my admin account and was able to very easily set exclusions for both MBAM and MBAE, also excluded Itunes too. Then I went into MBAM and excluded Defender there. I wasted a lot of time yesterday trying to figure this out. Thanks Tairiku for the tip about making changes in Admin.

Jimmy

Jimmy9190, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to set exclusions in Windows Defender

1. Unable to set exclusions in Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Unable set exclusions

2. unable to remove exclusion in microsoft defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to remove exclusion in microsoft defender: I wanted to scan for viruses but I noticed there was an exclusion for exe file types. I didn't add the exclusion so I wanted to remove it.but upon clicking the remove button after selecting the exe exclusion. it doesn't do anything. i.e. it doesn't remove the exclusion and...
  3. unable to remove exclusion in microsoft defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to remove exclusion in microsoft defender: I wanted to scan for viruses but I noticed there was an exclusion for exe file types. I didn't add the exclusion so I wanted to remove it.but upon clicking the remove button after selecting the exe exclusion. it doesn't do anything. i.e. it doesn't remove the exclusion and...
  4. unable to remove exclusion in microsoft defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. windows defender exclusions

windows defender exclusions: My excluded list does not show up..so i cannot remove an added exclusion.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-exclusions/86936ada-950c-4a94-8bc3-28269b62a257
  6. windows defender- Unable to add exclusions

windows defender- Unable to add exclusions: I'm using windows 10. I find that my antimalware service executable uses 27-30% of my cpu resources in times when I need to use it for other purposes which are important to me. As everyone knows that we can't kill this service in task manager, please someone help me how to...
  7. Set up exclusions for Windows Defender

Set up exclusions for Windows Defender: I don’t want Windows Defender to scan some files in the folders. Please help me to set up the exclusions. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-exclusions-for-windows-defender/afe82e90-0e47-42c0-a7c5-ad0a4e025a67"
  8. Windows Defender ignoring exclusions

Windows Defender ignoring exclusions: I have exclusions set up on several folders I don't want Windows Defender to scan. It seems that Windows Defender is ignoring that setting and is scanning and quarantining files in those folders anyway. Is there a reason this is happening and is there a way to fix it?...
  9. Windows Defender ignoring exclusions

Windows Defender ignoring exclusions: I have exclusions set up on several folders I don't want Windows Defender to scan. It seems that Windows Defender is ignoring that setting and is scanning and quarantining files in those folders anyway. Is there a reason this is happening and is there a way to fix it?...
  10. Odd exclusions in Windows Defender

Odd exclusions in Windows Defender: Hi all. I just ran a quick scan as I frequently do and discovered a bunch of exclusions that I did not add with the exception of the one for Malwarebytes. Did Windows do this itself? Can these be safely removed? Lastly since I mentioned it, is the Malwarebytes exclusion...