Windows 10: Unable to set new owner on user. The media is write protected

Discus and support Unable to set new owner on user. The media is write protected in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi I had to reset Windows 10 due to a ransom ware attack. I mounted my backup using Aomei Backupper. I can view everything but my User files. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by theweav, Oct 4, 2017.

1. theweav Win User

Unable to set new owner on user. The media is write protected

Hi
    I had to reset Windows 10 due to a ransom ware attack. I mounted my backup using Aomei Backupper. I can view everything but my User files. When I select my User files I get the message: You don't currently have permission to access this folder. When I try to set permissions I end up with the message: Unable to set new owner on user. The media is write protected. I sure would appreciate some help on this.

:)

theweav, Oct 4, 2017

2. How do you remove write-protection on a folder?

Maybe in Windows 10 it is a little more complicated than the old article suggests. Win 10 sets the document folder itself (along with pictures and so on) to write protect. It can be changed with administrator rights, but it will immediately revert to write
    protect. That means that not even from Word you can save a new document in the Document folder.

So - Users Document Folder is write protected even from both its owner and any administrator. Doesnt seem too smart...

Peter Fangel, Oct 4, 2017
  3. The backup failed. Then media is write protected. (0x80070013)

Dear Mr/Ms:

I don't know how to go to disc properties page.

Yang Li 19920112, Oct 4, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Oct 4, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't know about Aomei, but in Macrium Reflect there is a check box to Allow access to restricted folders. If Aomei has something like that, make sure to check it.

Unable to set new owner on user. The media is write protected [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Oct 4, 2017
  6. theweav Win User
    I hate to admit it but I totally messed up in the beginning. When I couldn't open the mounted image I dragged it over to my desktop and lost many of my important files in the process. In the process this also left my mounted user file blank. I feel horrible but I learned a lesson. Thanks for trying to help.

theweav, Oct 4, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Do you have a backup copy of your important files? If not, you may be able to move those folders elsewhere to open later.

Tony K, Oct 5, 2017
  8. theweav Win User

All my current folders were on that system backup. I do have these files on a previous hard drive, which I plan to transfer over, but they are over a year old. In the future I will backup my user files separately.
    Thanks for your input.

theweav, Oct 5, 2017
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Was drive containing your Aomei backup image online at the time of the ransomware attack? If so, it most likely was locked out by the attack, which would explain your lack of access.

f14tomcat, Oct 5, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    That doesn't make any sense. If you copied the files out of a backup image files, they don't get deleted from the image. The image file would have to be completely rewritten to delete them.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to set new owner on user. The media is write protected - Similar Threads - Unable set owner

2. The media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  3. The media is write-protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The media is write-protected: Good morning, I have issues removing write-protection from my USB flash drive. It has no hardware switch for enabling/disabling write-protection, • diskpart • list disk• sel disk 2• attrbites disk• Current Read-only State : Yes• attributes disk clear readonly reports "Disk...
  4. this media is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  5. this media is write protected

this media is write protected: I tried accessing the photos and I got the this media is write protected error and I looked up how to fix it and did it but it still says this media is write protected. The photos aren't from another device....
  6. Unable to remove write protection

Unable to remove write protection: I'm not able to delete some files in my pc. They're actually in my phone and I'm not able to see them even if I "enable show hidden files" in my phone.So I plugged in the USB cable, went to my phone downloads, and then tried to delete it. But it shows unable to delete because...
  7. Unable to remove write protection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to remove write protection: I'm not able to delete some files in my pc. They're actually in my phone and I'm not able to see them even if I "enable show hidden files" in my phone.So I plugged in the USB cable, went to my phone downloads, and then tried to delete it. But it shows unable to delete because...
  8. Unable to remove write protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. "Media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Media is write protected": I was always able to click on an icon and view a photo on my PC. Now this message pops up. Please help. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-is-write-protected/aff97eae-a941-4807-8205-6caea7aea58a"
  10. The media is write protected.

The media is write protected.: I keep getting a strange error when I try to open PNG files in Photos, "The media is write protected." None of the files are read only, and I can edit them in any way I want, it only pops up when I try to open them in Photos. Any way to fix this?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to set new owner the media is write protected

2. unable to set new owner write protected

3. the media is write protected when trying to change owner

4. unable to set new owner media is write protected,
  5. windows 7 :unable to set new owner on local disk. the media is write protected,
  6. unable to set new owner on folder fix write,
  7. unable to set new owner on local disk e,
  8. unable to set a new owner the media is write protected,
  9. aome unale to set new owner,
  10. unable to set new owner on local disk the media is write protected,
  11. unable to set new owner on usb,
  12. unable to set new owner of drive,
  13. the media is write protected unable to set new owner,
  14. aomei media write protected,
  15. unable to set new owner the folder is write protected