Windows 10: Unable to Set Up Pin or Windows Hello Fingerprint

Discus and support Unable to Set Up Pin or Windows Hello Fingerprint in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I am trying to get my fingerprint sensor back to working on my Dell XPS 15 7590, but Windows will not allow me to do so. I believe the issue comes from... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by T_Howee, Jun 2, 2020.

1. T_Howee Win User

Unable to Set Up Pin or Windows Hello Fingerprint

I am trying to get my fingerprint sensor back to working on my Dell XPS 15 7590, but Windows will not allow me to do so. I believe the issue comes from the PIN setup not working properly. When I go to settings>sign-in options and click Windows Hello PIN, the only option is "Add." If I click Add, it takes me to a window explaining what the PIN is, I hit next, then it asks for me to type my PIN in to verify my identity, and when I type in the PIN that I had previously set up, it just closes the setup window and the only option under PIN is still Add, no options to change or remove that signify that it has gone through. I believe that this is causing issues with setting up the fingerprint sensor, as when I do the process of scanning my finger, it then says I need to setup a PIN, which does the same thing: it just asks for me to type in the PIN that I had created, and when I do, the window closes and the only option under fingerprint remains "Setup" as if I hadn't added anything to it.

I have tried emptying the NGC folder as I have seen in other forum posts, which didn't work I have done it maybe three times now and rebooted more times than I can count. I tried clearing the TPM, which prompted me to setup a PIN on reboot, which at first appeared to work, but when I go to settings the only option under PIN is "Add." When I lock my computer, I login using the PIN that I setup, so I believe that that part is working, but the settings panel doesn't seem to register that it is there. How do I fix this? Things were working fine for a few weeks, and just recently I started having issues with it.

:)

T_Howee, Jun 2, 2020
  2. chris_80 Win User

Windows Hello - PIN and Fingerprint not working anymore

First, this is similar with
    this question
    , but that thread is locked with no solution.

After some months of fingerprint login working fine, after some update few months ago fingerprint stopped working, error message like "windows hello encountered a problem and stopped working".

- noticed that PIN is not set up anymore

- tried to set up PIN or fingerprint - not working (fingerprint sensor was not even recognized by Hello, even though Dell tools verification was ok).

- reinstalled fingerprint sensor driver, managed to determine Hello to find sensor and allowed to set up fingerprint until near the end when it requested for a PIN to be setup. asked for my password but the next screen (to enter PIN twice) never appears

- deleted Ngc folder, recreated, managed to set up PIN individually

- when I try to set up fingerprint click on Get Started, asks for PIN, and after I enter the PIN the popup disappear but does't go to the next step with sensor, stays there with only the Cancel button visible.

To answer obvious questions:

- windows updates done. no change

- new account created and tried to set up. same issues with fingerprint setup, at the end not setting up PIN or I set up PIN separately on fingerprint start does not go further than entering PIN after Get Started.

chris_80, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Windows Hello Fingerprint issue

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to use Windows Hello Fingerprint to sign in to Windows. It would be great if you can reply with the details requested below:

• When you say, “I am not getting the option to log-in into windows using fingerprint.” What login options do you see on the login screen?
    • What happens when you try to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint scanner to login to Windows?
    • Were you able to use the Windows Hello Fingerprint to login to Windows earlier?

Ideally, on the login screen, you will see Sign-in options that allows you to use different sign-in methods to login to Windows.

As you have mentioned that you are able to use the Fingerprint scanner on websites, I would suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. On the login screen, click on Sign-in options.
    2. Click on the Fingerprint icon, scan the Fingerprint, and see if you are able to sign in.

Refer the screenshot below:

Unable to Set Up Pin or Windows Hello Fingerprint fc087693-5104-47d8-960f-4d6097885918?upload=true.jpg

If the issue persists, try removing the Fingerprint and add it again. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I, to open
      Settings
    2. Click on Accounts and click on
      Sign-in options
      on the left pane.
    3. Now, click on Windows Hello Fingerprint and click on
      Remove.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to remove the Fingerprint.
    5. Once done, click on Set up and follow the on-screen instructions to add the Fingerprint.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Unable to Set Up Pin or Windows Hello Fingerprint

FingerPrint - Without Windows Hello PIN

Hi Xinete,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your query, I like to inform you that; we cannot set the finger print Logon without setting the Windows hello pin. Windows hello pin will work as an alternative option to login to your computer through finger print Logon. Windows hello
    pin will help you to login to your computer if you are unable to login to your computer through finger print authentication.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to enable finger print logon.

• Press Windows key + r and type
      gpedit.msc
      and hit Enter.

• Select Administrative Templates under
      Computer Configuration.

• Select Windows Components.

• Select Biometrics.
    In Biometrics > consider that for a home system, you might enable the following:

1) Allow the use of biometrics

2) Allow users to log on using biometrics

For information, refer to the below link:

Windows Security: Antivirus, Facial Recognition & More | Microsoft

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Unable to Set Up Pin or Windows Hello Fingerprint

1. Unable to Set Up Pin or Windows Hello Fingerprint - Similar Threads - Unable Set Pin

2. Unable to set up new Windows Hello PIN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to set up new Windows Hello PIN: I am setting up a new HP Laptop.I turn it on and the initial screen appears. I click on the screen, and my login screen appears with my login ID and the option to sign in, which is the only option that appears. I click on Sign in, and the screen to enter my Microsoft Account...
  3. Unable to set up new Windows Hello PIN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to set up new Windows Hello PIN: I am setting up a new HP Laptop.I turn it on and the initial screen appears. I click on the screen, and my login screen appears with my login ID and the option to sign in, which is the only option that appears. I click on Sign in, and the screen to enter my Microsoft Account...
  4. can't set up facial recognition, fingerprint or PIN in Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't set up facial recognition, fingerprint or PIN in Windows Hello: Upgraded to Windows 11 and also Microsoft seems to be wanting me to use my gmail address now vs. my Microsoft Hotmail address for some reason, but anyways and now it won't take my PIN. And when I try to set up facial recognition, or fingerprint recognition in Windows Hello it...
  5. can't set up facial recognition, fingerprint or PIN in Windows Hello

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can't set up facial recognition, fingerprint or PIN in Windows Hello: Upgraded to Windows 11 and also Microsoft seems to be wanting me to use my gmail address now vs. my Microsoft Hotmail address for some reason, but anyways and now it won't take my PIN. And when I try to set up facial recognition, or fingerprint recognition in Windows Hello it...
  6. PIN set up option is gone! PIN is required to set up Hello Fingerprint and Face sign-in.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PIN set up option is gone! PIN is required to set up Hello Fingerprint and Face sign-in.: Ever since my Windows updated, I lost the ability to use my fingerprint. I also don't have the option to remove or change my PIN. Not my Windows Hello PIN but my PIN... Every time I attempt to re-setup the fingerprint, I'm asked for the PIN which I'm not able to reset cuz I...
  7. hello fingerprint will not set up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    hello fingerprint will not set up: I have a Dell Latitude 5400 and everytime I go to set up the fingerprint id it comes back with a message saying 'Sorry, something went wrong. Close Windows hello and then try going through the setup again' I have updated the laptop- I have installed the latest driver from...
  8. Cannot set up Hello PIN and Fingerprint

Cannot set up Hello PIN and Fingerprint: Hi anyone has encountered this problem - when you want to set up Hello Pin and Fingerprint sign-in option but u cannot press the button on "set up". It says "this option is currently unavailable - click here to learn more". I have been trying multiple times but it does not...
  9. Unable to set up windows hello face and fingerprint.

Unable to set up windows hello face and fingerprint.: Recently purchased Dell Inspiron 5593, I am unable to set up windows hello face and fingerprint. It says " We couldn't find a camera compatible with windows hello face. [ATTACH]...
  10. Unable to set up windows hello fingerprint

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to set up windows hello fingerprint: Hi, as seen from the picture it says that windows hello fingerprint is unavailable and I am currently using a Lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon 7th gen. Any idea how to fix this problem? [ATTACH]...