Windows 10: Unable to setup a PIN

Discus and support Unable to setup a PIN in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I am trying to login to my laptop. I recently changed my pin and updated the fingerprint sensor. I locked my laptop and when I went to sign-in again,... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by lgmurphy28, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Unable to setup a PIN

I am trying to login to my laptop. I recently changed my pin and updated the fingerprint sensor. I locked my laptop and when I went to sign-in again, my fingertip sensor stopped working and I am now prompted to sign-in with my pin. To do so, I am prompted to login to my Microsoft account, which I am able to do so successfully. However, it then asks me to create a new pin. When I try to proceed, there is an error message that asks me to try again or try again later. I have refreshed and it still will not allow me to create a new pin. I can't login with any other method. How can I access my account without the ability to use/create a pin?

***Original Title: Prompted to Create a Pin on Login Screen, Error Message, Can't Use Any Other Method to Login***

:)

lgmurphy28, Apr 7, 2021
  2. Noor_Azam Win User

Unable to setup Windows Hello, error: incorrect pin

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the complete error code or error message that you are receiving when you try to setup Windows Hello?

Do you have any other user account on the computer?

If yes, does Windows Hello work on that account?

If Windows Hello is not setup on other account, please setup it up and check if it works so that we can narrow down the issue for you.

I suggest to remove the pin and setup a new pin on the child account and check if it works with Windows Hello.

Please follow the steps below to remove and re-add the PIN:

• Press Windows logo key + I to open Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, remove the pin. There will be prompt to enter password, enter the password and removed the PIN.
    • After the pin is removed, please click on
      Add to setup pin for the account.
    • After setting up a new PIN, try to set up Windows Hello.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Apr 7, 2021
  3. Jan Del Win User
    Can't Setup PIN in windows 10

Hi, Curtis.

Setting up a PIN is one of the options to increase the security level for your device. We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps given by Yashwanth Kotakuri on this
    thread to know more on how to setup a new PIN.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Jan Del, Apr 7, 2021
  4. Romel Ram Win User

Unable to setup a PIN

Unable to set PIN for log-in

Hi,

There is a possibility that this is due to . To properly isolate your issue, kindly verify the following:

• Did you encounter any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done to troubleshoot the problem?
    • Which Windows 10 version/build is currently installed on your computer? To check, type
      winver in the search option.

In addition, you can try Jessen P's suggestion on this link
    to see if it will work for your issue.

We're looking forward to your response.

Romel Ram, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

Unable to setup a PIN

1. Unable to setup a PIN - Similar Threads - Unable setup PIN

2. Unable to setup windows hello pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to setup windows hello pin: I am unable to setup pin .Setup window keep's pop up every time after enter setup pin.There is no error message just pin not accepted.I have tried lots of option from internet nothing is working.Thanks.OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS...
  3. Unable to setup windows hello pin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to setup windows hello pin: I am unable to setup pin .Setup window keep's pop up every time after enter setup pin.There is no error message just pin not accepted.I have tried lots of option from internet nothing is working.Thanks.OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS...
  4. Unable to setup windows hello pin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Unable to setup my pin after it was reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to setup my pin after it was reset: I recently had my motherboard replaced and my account pin was reset. However, Due to my email being a college email, the computer is unable to access any links to set up my pin. How can I bypass this or create an account?...
  6. Unable to setup my pin after it was reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to setup my pin after it was reset: I recently had my motherboard replaced and my account pin was reset. However, Due to my email being a college email, the computer is unable to access any links to set up my pin. How can I bypass this or create an account?...
  7. Unable to Setup Login Pin for Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to Setup Login Pin for Windows 10: Hello,I changed my memory stick and pc crashed a few times. So I went back to my old ram stick.Thereafter I had to do system restore because of the crashes. I updated windows again and all system component drivers etc..PC is up to date.The only problem I'm still having after...
  8. Unable to setup Hello pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to setup Hello pin: I am unable to setup the Hello Pin. It says there is an error with Microsoft Account. I tried all the links and solutions mentioned related to this issue but no luck!Could you please help me fix this. I am unable to open my laptop if I do not have internet access.Thanks...
  9. Unable to setup PIN and Fingerprint after a recent crash

Unable to setup PIN and Fingerprint after a recent crash: Recently my laptop crashed due to a game and I had to restart it multiple times to get out of the automatic diagnosis and open my laptop again. After which, I've not been able to use windows fingerprint and PIN to unlock my laptop. Tried resetting my windows and...
  10. Unable to setup Windows Hello, error: incorrect pin

Unable to setup Windows Hello, error: incorrect pin: I have been trying to set up Hello for my grand daughter on my system. I have a Dell Inspiron 15, 3000 series. I added her account on my system, and I can log into her account with her pin, but when I try to set up Hello, it says the pin is wrong. The Hello option keeps...