Windows 10: Unable to setup PIN but returns to locked screen when trying to skip for now

Discus and support Unable to setup PIN but returns to locked screen when trying to skip for now in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hello, I just got an HP computer and set it up - I thought it was successful but likely after a Windows update - when I try to log in- I cannot. The... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by CrystalB19, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Unable to setup PIN but returns to locked screen when trying to skip for now

Hello,

I just got an HP computer and set it up - I thought it was successful but likely after a Windows update - when I try to log in- I cannot.

The system does not recognize the new user outlook email account that I created. But I haven’t used that account in 10 days so I am wondering if it was deactivated since microsoft says account does not exist. Yet when I try to create the outlook account with the same email address, Microsoft says the email account already exists. I cannot recall if I setup a PIN with this old non-working account.

So, I created a new email account and attempted to login with that. However, I get to the PIN setup step and a PIN cannot be setup see error below.

“Something Went Wrong. We weren’t able to setup your PIN. You can try again, or skip this step and setup a PIN later.”

When I attempt to “skip for now”, it takes me back to the locked login screen. Thus, I cannot even get to the startup screen to change anything directly using the menu.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

:)

CrystalB19, Dec 29, 2020
  2. Noor_Azam Win User

Unable to setup Windows Hello, error: incorrect pin

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the complete error code or error message that you are receiving when you try to setup Windows Hello?

Do you have any other user account on the computer?

If yes, does Windows Hello work on that account?

If Windows Hello is not setup on other account, please setup it up and check if it works so that we can narrow down the issue for you.

I suggest to remove the pin and setup a new pin on the child account and check if it works with Windows Hello.

Please follow the steps below to remove and re-add the PIN:

• Press Windows logo key + I to open Settings.
    • Select Accounts.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Under PIN, remove the pin. There will be prompt to enter password, enter the password and removed the PIN.
    • After the pin is removed, please click on
      Add to setup pin for the account.
    • After setting up a new PIN, try to set up Windows Hello.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Windows 10 stuck at lock screen, unable to enter password

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know the following to understand the issue and assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Are you trying to log-in using Microsoft account or local account?
    • Are you trying to enter pin or password?

Assuming that this issue might be because of keyboard, I suggest you to use on-screen keyboard from the lock screen and check if it helps.

Steps: From the lock screen, click on Ease of access and click on On-screen keyboard.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information. We will be happy to assist you further accordingly.

Deepika Gowda, Dec 29, 2020
  4. B_Patel Win User

Unable to setup PIN but returns to locked screen when trying to skip for now

Unable to create Windows Hello PIN

Hi,

I have just bought second hand Lenovo T470s Laptop, which reset to factory setting (I believe). Now, I am trying to setup the Hello PIN first time and getting the following error:

"we weren't able to set up your pin. you can try again, or skip this step and set up a pin later."

Any suggestion on how to solve this??

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

B Patel

B_Patel, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Unable to setup PIN but returns to locked screen when trying to skip for now

1. Unable to setup PIN but returns to locked screen when trying to skip for now - Similar Threads - Unable setup PIN

2. Unable to setup windows hello pin

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to setup windows hello pin: I am unable to setup pin .Setup window keep's pop up every time after enter setup pin.There is no error message just pin not accepted.I have tried lots of option from internet nothing is working.Thanks.OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631 Other OS...
  3. pin setup goes wrong and skipping this step does not work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pin setup goes wrong and skipping this step does not work.: Hello,I've set up my laptop for the first time after buying it and when I turn it on and log with my outlook account I'm asked to create the Hello Pin for the first time but it goes wrong. A message says that I can do this later. I then click the option to do it later, but...
  4. Windows sometimes doesn't remember I set a PIN and skips the lock screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows sometimes doesn't remember I set a PIN and skips the lock screen: Hello, I have been having a problem with Windows not remembering I set a PIN sometimes and skipping past the lock screen. I am confused because it is inconsistent. Sometimes when my computer wakes up from hibernation it prompts me to ender the PIN, but other times it just...
  5. Windows sometimes doesn't remember I set a PIN and skips the lock screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows sometimes doesn't remember I set a PIN and skips the lock screen: Hello, I have been having a problem with Windows not remembering I set a PIN sometimes and skipping past the lock screen. I am confused because it is inconsistent. Sometimes when my computer wakes up from hibernation it prompts me to ender the PIN, but other times it just...
  6. Unable to set up pin but returns to lock screen when I skip

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to set up pin but returns to lock screen when I skip: I have an hp laptop and whenever I try to sign in with my microsoft account,it goes through but then ask me me to set up a pin.When I click on the option to skip for now it takes me back to the lock screen for me to type in my microsoft account password again....
  7. Unable to setup Hello pin

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to setup Hello pin: I am unable to setup the Hello Pin. It says there is an error with Microsoft Account. I tried all the links and solutions mentioned related to this issue but no luck!Could you please help me fix this. I am unable to open my laptop if I do not have internet access.Thanks...
  8. Unable to setup a PIN

Unable to setup a PIN: I am trying to login to my laptop. I recently changed my pin and updated the fingerprint sensor. I locked my laptop and when I went to sign-in again, my fingertip sensor stopped working and I am now prompted to sign-in with my pin. To do so, I am prompted to login to my...
  9. Unable to disable lock screen PIN in W10 Edu

Unable to disable lock screen PIN in W10 Edu: I followed the directions to use "forgot pin" method and leave fields blank but upon reboot Windows said "you don't have a PIN, let's set up one now". It gave me no options to not set it up. I don't remember exact screens look but... I tried to set it up but then I got...
  10. Windows setup skipping “choose media”screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows setup skipping “choose media”screen: I’m trying to make a usb installer for another computer but when I go into the set I click (USB>64bit) but then it’s skips the “choose usb or cd” then says that I don’t have enough space on my hard drive even tho I clicked make usb installer submitted by /u/Kyle6036...