Windows 10: Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network

Discus and support Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, my name is Davide and I have a problem in sharing a folder between 2 PCs. It seems that I can't do that because my PCs can't find each other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Davidefe86, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network

Hello,

my name is Davide and I have a problem in sharing a folder between 2 PCs.

It seems that I can't do that because my PCs can't find each other on the Wifi network.

The 2 PCs are on the same Wi-fi network.

I have enabled and turned on all necessary options in "Advanced sharing settings" and disabled the relevant password protected sharing option. Moreover I have checked to enable/disable SMB1.

Nothing has worked so far.

Is there any possible way to share a folder on 2 PCs running Windows 10, 64 bits?

Kind regards

Davide

***Modified title from: 2 Windows-10 PCs cannot detect each other even if they are on the same network***

:)

Davidefe86, Feb 25, 2020
  2. lukyluc56 Win User

Unable to see the local router Wi-Fi network

I am working on a friend HP All-in-one system that has a Wi-Fi interface. It came with Windows 10 so there has been no upgrade from a previous version of Windows. Some of the System Specification:

HP 23-r119c All-in-One Desktop PC
    Intel Core i3-4170T CPU
    8 GB of memory
    Integrated Intel HD Graphics
    Realtek ALC3228 sound
    Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n fetirung 2.4 Ghz 1 x 1 technology
    (Shows in device manager as a Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adaptor)
    1TB Disk drive
    CD/DVD burner drive

Side note I am not sitting at the system now and have no access. I am trying to see if anyone has seen an issue exactly like that. I did lots of research, seen lots of issues reported that are similar but none that fit my exact symptoms. Most fixes reported for issues where a Wi-Fi network is not showing up did not work for me.

So here it is. The connection to the local Wi-Fi router used to work fine. The name of the Wi-Fi network is BELL500. At some point in time the Wi-Fi network BELL500 disappeared. It does not show when I click on the Wi-Fi icon on the task bar. But other Wi-Fi networks do show up. Here is what I have tried so far.

• 1- Using my own laptop I was able to connect to the local Wi-Fi network BELL500 and had access to the Internet. So router and service provider are fine.
    • 2- Downloaded the Wi-Fi adaptor driver from HP and install. To do so I first uninstall the device from the device manager and then ran the installation script I downloaded from HP. The Wi-FI adaptor was created and available network showed up. But the problem persists. Connection is not possible to local Wi-Fi network BELL500 since it is not listed in the available network.
    • 3- Perform and sfc /scannow. There was no problem found. The problem is still there, the Wi-Fi network BELL500 does not show up.
    • 4- Connected to a Wi-Fi network available from the list that had no security. It connected but it is a guest network and needed more credential to continue that I did not have.
    • 5- Enabled my iPhone connection sharing. It showed up on the Wi-Fi list indicated that the service to discover the network also worked fine.
    • 6- Tried to add and configure manually using control panel the BELL500 network. Even tried to use a different name. Did not work, never came up as a possible network to connect.
    • 7- Shutdown the All-in-One system. Powered off/on the Wi-Fi router and waited for connection to work. Rebooted the All-in-One. There is no change for the local Wi-Fi network BELL500 it still did not show up. Other networks do show up.
    • 8- Re-enable my iPhone connection sharing. It appeared on the All-in-One and I made the connection. I was able to get the All-in-One on the internet and it worked fine.

From all that it seems as if the Wi-Fi adaptor on the All-in-One worked fine, the Windows 10 services to discover and make connection to Wi-Fi network work fine and the router also worked fine. But from some weird and unknown reason the local Wi-Fi network BELL500 has disappeared and we are unable to get it back.

I executed a “netsh wlan show all” before and after the reboot. I put the result in 2 files that I have attached. Never saw the BELL500 network. The output are in french. If there is anything you need translated let me know. One thing I found strange on the output is that in the list of SSID there is one with no name. I tried the same command and I never saw an entry like that on my laptop.

One thing I forgot to do while trying to fix the problem was to search the registry to find if the BELL500 is listed anywhere. Is it possible that the Wi-Fi network BELL500 is still present somewhere in the registry, but that the registry entry is in a way that it would not display on the list, be listed with the netsh wlan command, would prevent the network to be rediscover and could not be used. If I found any entries in de registry with the BELL500 network should I delete them? Any idea as to what I should look at or do to try to clear the situation.

Thank you,

Luc

lukyluc56, Feb 25, 2020
  3. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Feb 25, 2020
  4. Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network

Different Network Connection From the same Wi-Fi

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

• What happens when you try to connect through the Wi-Fi, are you able to access to internet?
    • Does your Desktop support or does it has a Wi-Fi device to connect to the same Wi-Fi?
    As mentioned above in your post, the Desktop is connected to the Ethernet
    and Laptop is Connected to the Wi-Fi. It is not possible to connect to the same Wi-Fi networks. If both Desktop and Laptop are on Wi-Fi devices then you could try connecting it to the same Wi-Fi network.

Note: To transfer the files you have to share the files and folders on a network.

Method 1: If you are already using the HomeGroup.
    Network discovery might be blocking you from seeing other computers and devices on the network. Check if the Network discovery is turned on. If the network discovery setting on your computer is set to off, you won't see other computers and devices
    on the network.

Steps to Turn on network discovery.

• Press Windows key, type sharing and click on
      Manage advanced sharing settings.
    • Under Private, Network discovery, check mark the option
      Turn on network discovery.
    • Try the same on all the computers connected to the network.
    If the issue still persists,

Method 2: I would suggest you to
    create a new HomeGroup and check if it helps.

Refer: HomeGroup
    from start to finish

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network

1. Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network - Similar Threads - Unable share files

2. How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share: so it's known issue when you share files with NEarby share. I tried everything but it doesn't transfer files with wi-fi, bluetooth only. Who can help with settings? I have laptop windows 10 and PC windows 11....
  3. How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share: so it's known issue when you share files with NEarby share. I tried everything but it doesn't transfer files with wi-fi, bluetooth only. Who can help with settings? I have laptop windows 10 and PC windows 11....
  4. How to share files over WI-FI NOT bluetooth with nearby share

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?: I want to move files from my laptop to my desktop via wi-fi or Bluetooth. I have been using a USB thumb drive but thought I would try a different approach....
  6. Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there an easy way to share files between two PCs on the same wi-fi network?: I want to move files from my laptop to my desktop via wi-fi or Bluetooth. I have been using a USB thumb drive but thought I would try a different approach....
  7. Wi-Fi Network - Missing PCs

Wi-Fi Network - Missing PCs: I am trying to set up a small wi-fi network of three PCs. They are all network discoverable and have shared public folder access. One PC can see the others on the network and can access their public folders but the other two can only see themselves. The network settings on...
  8. Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet

Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet: 1) Want to transfer files between PCs using ethernet (single owner/user, home LAN) 2) Absolutely delighted [not!] by ~ twenty-five (25) step 'simple' process required ... ARRGGGGH! 3) Survived hoop-jumping up to "enter credentials for PC access" (or some such $#%#^) 4)...
  9. Connecting 2 PCs on a Wi-Fi Network

Connecting 2 PCs on a Wi-Fi Network: How can I transfer files from one PC to another using Wi-Fi network? Both PCs are on the same network, yet they do not recognize each other. I am using D-Link wireless router DIR-885L. What shall I do so that I see and use the files from one PC on another PC through the File...
  10. Unable to share files over Network

Unable to share files over Network: Unable to share files over Network I'm wondering if the requirement to log in is what's preventing me sharing on my network - on which 4 other laptops running Windows 10 are all happily communicating with the same sharing permissions as I've set up on this one. When I try...