Windows 10: Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet

Discus and support Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 1) Want to transfer files between PCs using ethernet (single owner/user, home LAN) 2) Absolutely delighted [not!] by ~ twenty-five (25) step 'simple'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sookie(2), Sep 30, 2019.

1. sookie(2) Win User

Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet

1) Want to transfer files between PCs using ethernet (single owner/user, home LAN)

2) Absolutely delighted [not!] by ~ twenty-five (25) step 'simple' process required ... ARRGGGGH!

3) Survived hoop-jumping up to "enter credentials for PC access" (or some such $#%#^)

4) Since I use access # Code on Win 10 PC, and have never required credentials on Win 8.1 PC ... nowWTH?

Attempted using my actual LAN password, which - of course - Failed!?

5) Attempted checking LastPass for usable credentials - but with no ethernet-router connection*.... (now between PCs)

6) Finally attempted "Turn off password protected sharing", except Save Changes is consistently greyed-out!? WTH? ARRGGGGH!

7) Any helpful & relevant suggestions??

* No Wi-Fi on Win 8.1 PC

***Modified title from: FAILED File transfer between PCs***

:)

sookie(2), Sep 30, 2019

2. Windows 7 File Sharing Errors

Afternoon,

I have a PC that I am currently working on whereby I am entirely unable to access network shares.

I've followed all the steps I found online regarding the configuration but am still unable to do so.

The PC in question (M1 henceforce) is running Windows 7.

Firewall is off and shares are configured.

On this PC if I navigate to \\M1 I see the list of share

If I click any of the shares, I get an error (file and print sharing resource (m1) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.

The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems with the firewall on your computer. )

This occurs when on M1 navigating to M1

If on another PC (testing using a PC called M4) I go to \\M1; I get the above error without being able to see the list of shares.

Reversing the process (sharing on M4 and navigating from M1 to \\M4) the issue does not occur.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

TimFontana, Sep 30, 2019
  3. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Sep 30, 2019
  4. robal Win User

Windows 7 File Sharing between computers, PROBLEMS!!

Don't worry about homegroup. It's just an additional layer (of 'convienience') above 'old' classic Windows Shares mechanism.
    If your transfers are terrible with this setup, they will most probably be as terrible with any other approach.

At first, focus on wired ethernet. Copying a file between HTPC and PC will show you transfer rate. Also... If you go to "task manager", you'll see network speed (network tab).
    Focus on wired ethernet for now... what speeds are you getting ?

Cheers,

robal, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet - Similar Threads - Unable share files

2. share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet: I have a PC at home connected by ethernet to a router. This shows as Network 5 in Network and Sharing Centre.I have another PC in another room connected via ethernet to the same router. This shows as Network 2 In its Network and Sharing Centre. I've tried everything I can...
  3. share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet: I have a PC at home connected by ethernet to a router. This shows as Network 5 in Network and Sharing Centre.I have another PC in another room connected via ethernet to the same router. This shows as Network 2 In its Network and Sharing Centre. I've tried everything I can...
  4. share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sharing Between Computers on Ethernet

Sharing Between Computers on Ethernet: I am baffled by how Windows 10 handles file sharing between computers these days. I remember the Homegroup option was a little wonky, but at least it worked. Here's the situation. I have my whole home wired with Cat 6 Ethernet. Every port is connected to one switch. Each...
  6. File sharing between Windows 10 PCs

File sharing between Windows 10 PCs: Used to be able to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 7 PC, but it doesn't work now that I upgraded the Windows 7 to Windows 10. Tried to share the Users folder with Everybody, but got a message that the files could not be shared. How do I fix?...
  7. Trying to share files between two PCs

Trying to share files between two PCs: I have two PCs running the latest Windows 10 software connected to the same network. I really need to be able to have the computers see each other so I can share files between the two. However, that doesn't seem to be the case and I always seem to have problems. For the sake...
  8. Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network

Unable to share files between 2 PCs over a Wi-Fi network: Hello, my name is Davide and I have a problem in sharing a folder between 2 PCs. It seems that I can't do that because my PCs can't find each other on the Wifi network. The 2 PCs are on the same Wi-fi network. I have enabled and turned on all necessary options in...
  9. Sharing problems between my PCs

Sharing problems between my PCs: Hello everyone, I have a desk PC connected to my router via cable (Ethernet) and a laptop connected to the same router via WiFi and both run Win 10. I just reinstalled my laptop and now they cannot see each other. Both PCs are connected to same network and discoverable on...
  10. File sharing between Windows 10 PCs

File sharing between Windows 10 PCs: Once again a Windows 10 update has shut down our private network file sharing on my wife's and my two Windows 10 computers. This happens every time there is a large update, but I don't remember the fix. We both keep some accounting files on each of our two office computers...