Windows 10: Unable to share files on local network

Discus and support Unable to share files on local network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Why has Microsoft disabled the file sharing capabilities for home users? Ever since Homegroups were tossed out, sharing files between our families PC's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by I419Kraus, Mar 6, 2020.

1. I419Kraus Win User

Unable to share files on local network

Why has Microsoft disabled the file sharing capabilities for home users? Ever since Homegroups were tossed out, sharing files between our families PC's has become a real challenge. This time of year tax time makes this really frustrating as - being the "accountant" for our family - I need copies of everyone's W-2's and so forth to get tax forms done. These are not the sort of files I'd like to be copying back and forth to cloud sharing services anyone's , but this seems to be the only reliable way to do file sharing!!

:)

I419Kraus, Mar 6, 2020

2. file sharing over local network issues

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community, we understand your concern and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

I would suggest the following to resolve the issue you are faced with.

Method 1: Windows can't detect a computer on a Public network. To fix this problem, you can try changing the network location to Home or Work or try connecting to a network that already has a Home or Work network location.

Method 2:

If Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol is disabled on the network adapter. Windows uses the LLTD protocol to map computers and devices on a network. To enable LLTD, follow these steps:

• Right click on the Start menu and select
      Control Panel
      . In the search box, type adapter, and then, under
      Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.

• Right-click the network connection, and then click Properties.

• Select the Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver and
      Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder check boxes, and then click
      OK.

[*]
    Method 3: To turn on network discovery, follow these steps:

• Right click on the Start menu and select
      Control Panel
      . In the search box, type network, click
      Network and Sharing Center, and then, in the left pane, click
      Change advanced sharing settings.

• Click the drop down icon to expand the Home or Work network profile.

• Click Turn on network discovery, and then click
      Save changes. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Mar 6, 2020
  3. Unable to set up a Peer to Peer network for a local area network

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are trying to set up a P2P network for a local area network so that files can be shared.

We would suggest you to refer the steps as mention in these post and article:

Homegroup removed! How to get network sharing
    work with Windows 10 v1803
    by Pauli O.

File sharing over a network in Windows 10

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 6, 2020
  4. Unable to share files on local network

Block File sharing in Wifi network, Windows 10

Hi Lori,

As per the description, I understand that you want to block file sharing on your Wi-Fi network. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Start and select Control Panel.
    • Change the view type to Large Icons.
    • Click on Network and Sharing center.
    • In the left navigation pane, click on Advanced sharing center.
    • In the right pane, under Files and printer sharing, select the option:
      Turn off file and printer sharing.
    • Restart the system and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 6, 2020
Thema:

Unable to share files on local network

1. Unable to share files on local network - Similar Threads - Unable share files

2. Unable to Access Shared Files on Local Network after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Access Shared Files on Local Network after Windows Update: After a recent Windows update, I have been experiencing difficulties accessing shared files on my local network. Prior to the update, everything was working smoothly. However, since the update, attempts to connect to shared folders result in an error message, and I'm unable...
  3. Local Network & File Sharing on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local Network & File Sharing on Windows 11: Hi,I'm having an issue sharing files between two computers on my home wifi network.I have two PC's one downstairs and one upstairs, both with Win 11 Pro and using the same account.I have set these up to share over a private network in network and in control panel. When I look...
  4. Local Network & File Sharing on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local Network & File Sharing on Windows 11: Hi,I'm having an issue sharing files between two computers on my home wifi network.I have two PC's one downstairs and one upstairs, both with Win 11 Pro and using the same account.I have set these up to share over a private network in network and in control panel. When I look...
  5. File Sharing Over a local network

File Sharing Over a local network: I am trying to access my old PC which is on my home network. The system is detected but when I click it it asks for credentials and will not accept my Microsoft password. I use the same account to sign into both systems and it works fine to sign in to either one individually...
  6. Unable to delete files on network share

Unable to delete files on network share: Hi All, I've only recently migrated to Win10 and have found a bug that's really...bugging me! I can't seem to delete some files on network shares. This morning I created three files in the same folder. I can delete two of them, but the third one just won't go. It appears to...
  7. File sharing issue on a local Network

File sharing issue on a local Network: I have 2 computers at home running windows 10, same microsoft login Now when I'm connect to my personal LAN I would like to have both computers being able to browse each others files, so I can use the local network to transfer files both ways I tried giving all...
  8. Unable to view shared files on network

Unable to view shared files on network: I have a Lenovo PC with pre-installed Windows 10 OS. Today morning onwards the network is not getting accessible with this system. I can access other systems shared folders from this PC but can't access the shared folders of this Lenovo PC. Also internet is working fine in...
  9. Windows 10 File Sharing on local network

Windows 10 File Sharing on local network: On my home network there are two PCs - call them A and B. Each PC has two user accounts - call them 1 and 2. The same user -name and login password is used on both PCs. Both PCs are running "Windows 10 Home" - no other version information is given in Control Panel/System....
  10. Unable to share files over Network

Unable to share files over Network: Unable to share files over Network I'm wondering if the requirement to log in is what's preventing me sharing on my network - on which 4 other laptops running Windows 10 are all happily communicating with the same sharing permissions as I've set up on this one. When I try...