Windows 10: Unable to sign in to Cortana to turn it on

Discus and support Unable to sign in to Cortana to turn it on in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I chose not to use Cortana when I upgraded to Windows 10 recently. I decided to turn on Cortana now because of a particular issue. I reach the point of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bob Hawkins, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Unable to sign in to Cortana to turn it on

I chose not to use Cortana when I upgraded to Windows 10 recently. I decided to turn on Cortana now because of a particular issue. I reach the point of "Before we get started, I'll need you to sign in with a Microsoft account". I click the "Sign in" box. A grey/black box appears with a 'people' icon inside that then disappears. This action prompts an application error as follows:
    Faulting application name: AccountsControlHost.exe, version: 10.0.10586.122, time stamp: 0x56cc1660
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.306, time stamp: 0x571af331
    Exception code: 0x00000004
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000071f28
    Faulting process ID: 0x1108
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1dd05e0841e4a
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.AccountsControl_cw5n1h2txyewy\AccountsControlHost.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report ID: 8a8f48fc-7672-432c-bf6b-8acb012f9321
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.AccountsControl_10.0.10586.0_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: App

:)

Bob Hawkins, Jul 12, 2016

2. Initial Log on

I've forgotten the log on or miss type my password on my new windows 10 laptop, does any one know how to reset it or get past it? I've only had it 3 days and can't remember the password or miss typed it (I set it up late the first night and have tried
    every miss typed version I can think of) and now I don't what to do.

To Tired to Remember, Jul 12, 2016
  3. Upgraded to Windows 10 from 7 and now my password doesn't work and I'm locked out

This happened to me too but it was easy to fix once I understood the problem:

When you upgrade to Windows 10, if you then (at any point in time) log into your Microsoft account (e.g. to set up email), Microsoft essentially hijacks your local computer account and changes your local computer login password to the password used for your
    Microsoft account (there is no obvious warning or indication that they are doing this)

To fix the problem you have a few options:

1) disconnect your computer from WiFi and any internet connection - then it will go back to using the original local password

OR

2) log in with your Microsoft account password (which you can probably even change on another computer if you have forgotten it)

I think you can change your Windows 10 settings to NOT use your Microsoft account upon

Kerry in To, Jul 12, 2016
Thema:

Unable to sign in to Cortana to turn it on

1. Unable to sign in to Cortana to turn it on - Similar Threads - Unable sign Cortana

2. turn on Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    turn on Cortana: cant turn on Cortana https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-cortana/a505b402-abc7-43b5-aa09-243e19e1d0a6
  3. turn on Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    turn on Cortana: cant turn on Cortana https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-cortana/a505b402-abc7-43b5-aa09-243e19e1d0a6
  4. Cortana sign in

in Cortana
    Cortana sign in: Hey everyone, So recently I've notice Cortana is having some issues after attempting to sign in, like just hanging on what seems to be an overloading home page. I click the cortana button on my taskbar and this happens: https://ibb.co/tLZQs6k Cortana will load in and ask...
  5. Unable to Sign Into Cortana

in Cortana
    Unable to Sign Into Cortana: When I tried to Sign into Cortana on PC, this is what it said "Minors aren't allowed to use their accounts here. You can still use this account to sign in to Microsoft services such as ........ If you're actually an adult visit account.live.com/ep to change your age." I...
  6. Cortana sign in

in Cortana
    Cortana sign in: When I sign in to Cortana, it says that minors are not allowed to use their Microsoft accounts with it. A simple Bing search shows that the minimum age needed to use it is 13 and I am 15. I have checked my age in my Microsoft account and it is right. It shows the following...
  7. Unable to sign into Samsung Smart Home with Cortana

in Cortana
    Unable to sign into Samsung Smart Home with Cortana: I am attempting to link my Samsung account with Cortana so that I will be able to use my Samsung SmartThings hub. The Samsung Smart Home Cortana skill leads me to believe I can do this. When I invoke the skill, Cortana prompts me to sign in with my Samsung Account. I then...
  8. Unable to sign in to cortana

in Cortana
    Unable to sign in to cortana: I am 17 years old as of now and I tried logging in into Cortana. But i am getting a message that I am a minor. As far as I know anyone above 13yrs can use Cortana. Also I have recieved error 0x80190005. I am looking forward for a solution to my problem. Thank you...
  9. Unable to turn off Secure Sign-in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to turn off Secure Sign-in: I've been running Windows 10 at home for about a year now. From the beginning I've set it to go into sleep mode if left unattended for more than 20 minutes. When I come back I just click the mouse or hit the space bar and it wakes up and the sign-in window appears. Since the...
  10. Cortana - Unable to sign into MS account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana - Unable to sign into MS account: Hi I've upgraded to Windows 10. I'm trying to set up Cortana (in UK) and I'm stuck with a sign in problem with MS account. I know my MS account password but the next window asks for my previous password, which I don't remember. In fact, I didn't have to log in to my...