Windows 10: Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk

Discus and support Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi got hp laptop use Windows 10 M.E and chrome there are 3 of us using this laptop all with our own names and passwords .changed my password to a pin... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ozzboy1, May 25, 2019.

1. ozzboy1 Win User

Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk

Hi got hp laptop use Windows 10 M.E and chrome there are 3 of us using this laptop all with our own names and passwords .changed my password to a pin number now I cannot remember my letter password it won't let me reset it says I need a USB password recovery disc which I never did one. Still got my pin number is this going to be a problem can I fix this?.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi just tried something from your tutorials page user accounts. first, let me say when I got my laptop I signed in with a Microsoft account with a password I then changed it to a pin number been using this for years forgot my normal password and cannot change it. Hi followed your instructions signed out signed back in with pin first no problem signed back into Microsoft web page with the new password no problem signed back out logged off this time signed in with the new password and I got this message

This feature requires recoverable media such as a USB flash drive and then try again. Have not done 1

Not sure what to do thank you

:)

ozzboy1, May 25, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

USB flash disk error.

it says CONTROLLER error, not disk error.

The problems with the USB controller, possibly drivers.

Mussels, May 25, 2019
  3. Derek12 Win User
    USB flash disk error.

Hi.
    Hmm happens only with that disk, with the rest none errors so I don't think it's a USB Controller fault. I have the lñatest drivers installed...
    Many thanks

Derek12, May 25, 2019
  4. Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk

Windows 10 Recovery drive error - Can't create a recovery drive on this PC

Hi Andy,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

• Do you have enough space in your external drive or disk?
    • Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    • Have you created a recovery media previously on the computer?
    As per the issue description, it seems like you are unable to create a system image recovery driver using a USB drive on the computer as it prompts an error message “We cannot create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and try to create a recovery drive and check if it helps.

• From the taskbar, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.

• When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select Next.

• Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next > Create. A lot of files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.

• When it’s done, you might see a Delete the recovery partition from your PC link on the final screen. If you want to free up drive space on your PC, select the link and then select Delete. If
      not, select Finish.
    You can also use Windows 10 media creation tool to troubleshoot problems when your PC can't start.

Here is the link:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, May 25, 2019
Thema:

Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk

1. Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk - Similar Threads - Unable sign Error

2. Password needed in recovery menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password needed in recovery menu: So I went into the recovery menu and attempted to press a option...and it asked me for my password...a password that I didnt even have...How do I remove that prompt or replace it with Windows Hello?...
  3. Password needed in recovery menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Password needed in recovery menu: So I went into the recovery menu and attempted to press a option...and it asked me for my password...a password that I didnt even have...How do I remove that prompt or replace it with Windows Hello?...
  4. Recovery from a USB recovery disk

Recovery from a USB recovery disk: Hello,Please can you help.My 1tb hdd in my laptop has crashed. Fortunately, I created a USB Recovery disk.I purchased a 250gb ssd as a replacement, intending to use a portable drive for storage and ssd just for boot and apps.I tried recovering from USP Recovery disk, but it...
  5. Sign in Password for recovery options

Sign in Password for recovery options: I need to run Startup repair to check a problem but I can't remember my password that it asks for. Running latest update for Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sign-in-password-for-recovery-options/ef37657a-1e3b-4e21-abaf-488a335e6b1b
  6. Unable to install from USB recovery disk

Unable to install from USB recovery disk: I created a USB recovery disk 10 months ago. Recently I had issues with my PC and went to use the recovery disk to reinstall a clean version of Windows. The PC brought up the recovery program, deleted all the files on the computer's hard drive and then failed to reinstall...
  7. Is a recovery partition needed if you have a rescue disk

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is a recovery partition needed if you have a rescue disk: What is the function of a recovery partition? Under what circumstance is it needed/used? If you have a made a rescue disk to boot your computer is it needed? Thanks for your help 137020
  8. Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to sign in to PC. Error: You need a USB password recovery disk: Hi got hp laptop use Windows 10 M.E and chrome there are 3 of us using this laptop all with our own names and passwords .changed my password to a pin number now I cannot remember my letter password it won't let me reset it says I need a USB password recovery disc which I...
  9. password recovery disk

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    password recovery disk: How do I create a password recovery disk in Windows 10. I went to the Control Panel place that has the link to do that but nothing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-recovery-disk/961ada96-e04e-4946-9b5a-949b98b820ff"
  10. Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D”

Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D”: Here is the scenario: On November 6, 2018 the October Windows 10 update was applied to my system. At the time I had a SATA docking station with 2 drives inserted that was used for backing up data. Some of the data on one of the drives was not backed up anywhere else. One of...