Windows 10: unable to sign in to windows after restart

Discus and support unable to sign in to windows after restart in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After restarting the computer, there was mountain picture but there was no sign in option for windowsUnable to access my computerThere is only one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Himanshu Acharya CS, Apr 6, 2022.

1. unable to sign in to windows after restart

After restarting the computer, there was mountain picture but there was no sign in option for windowsUnable to access my computerThere is only one option on the screen to use Ease of Access narrator, on screen keyboard etc at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. There was no power button option. tried pressing space bar , esc key dragging the mouse to bring the screen to sign in windows but it was not working.restarted the automatic system repair but it did not worktried to restore but no restore point presenttried to reset PC but reset did not work eitherhelp me.

:)

Himanshu Acharya CS, Apr 6, 2022
  2. jimhoyle Win User

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, Apr 6, 2022
  3. windows 10 unable to sign in

Today i was just adding a folder to my shared vpn and removed the wrong account from the list (being mine) the admin account. It wouldn't let me do anything really so i went to restart my pc and it keeps saying wrong password and won't let me sign in. Sorry i know this is a reallllly silly thing to do but can anyone suggest anything that might work? Thankyou

Lukeyreborn78, Apr 6, 2022
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

unable to sign in to windows after restart

Unable to sign into Windows

Hi Peter,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What is the error you get while trying to sign in?
    2. When you say ‘0000’, are you referring to a PIN?
    3. Is it a local or Microsoft account, you use with Windows sign in?
    4. Do you see any other sign in options like password, fingerprint or facial recognition?
    5. Do you see any options on screen to reset your password?

If you are using the Microsoft account with Windows sign in, choose password option under sign in options and type in the Microsoft account password and let us know if it works.

Please get back to us with the information requested, so that we can suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Apr 6, 2022
Thema:

unable to sign in to windows after restart

1. unable to sign in to windows after restart - Similar Threads - unable sign restart

2. Unable to sign in after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to sign in after windows 11 update: My laptop was updated with Windows 11 and after that I am unable to sign in to my as it shows "incorrect password" due to which the account has been blocked despite entering the correct password. The contact number associated with account is no more in use since a year and I...
  3. Unable to sign in after windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to sign in after windows 11 update: My laptop was updated with Windows 11 and after that I am unable to sign in to my as it shows "incorrect password" due to which the account has been blocked despite entering the correct password. The contact number associated with account is no more in use since a year and I...
  4. unable to sign in after update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to sign in after update: Made an update and now my PC wont allow me to sign in. I have internet connection and it says my password is wrong. I tried to unplug and plug back in the cable restart and shutdown the PC and it is still no go. I need to finish some emails and documents today. How can I...
  5. unable to sign in after update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to sign in after update: Made an update and now my PC wont allow me to sign in. I have internet connection and it says my password is wrong. I tried to unplug and plug back in the cable restart and shutdown the PC and it is still no go. I need to finish some emails and documents today. How can I...
  6. unable to sign in after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. unable to sign in to windows after restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to sign in to windows after restart: After restarting the computer, there was mountain picture but there was no sign in option for windowsUnable to access my computerThere is only one option on the screen to use Ease of Access narrator, on screen keyboard etc at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. There...
  8. unable to sign in to windows after restart

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    unable to sign in to windows after restart: After restarting the computer, there was mountain picture but there was no sign in option for windowsUnable to access my computerThere is only one option on the screen to use Ease of Access narrator, on screen keyboard etc at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. There...
  9. Win10 Signs-In Users After Sign-Out then Restart

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Win10 Signs-In Users After Sign-Out then Restart: I have a fairly new 2 months Dell XPS 8930. I created 2 user accounts. If I use Start...User...Sign Out on either account, everything goes as expected and I am taken back to the Sign-In screen. If I then use the Power button in the lower right and choose Restart, the...
  10. Unable to login after selected safe mode on sign in screen after restarted

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to login after selected safe mode on sign in screen after restarted: I seleted setting boot safe mode with network during normal windows 10 environment and restarted, however I am not able to sign in again with the correct pin or password again. There is no option to select under the sign in box for reset. Is there any way that I don't have to...