Windows 10: Unable to Sort File Names

Discus and support Unable to Sort File Names in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello - I downloaded several years of Bank statements and because I could not make sense of their numbering system, I renamed the PDFs using the month... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by l_turn9, Jul 31, 2021.

1. l_turn9 Win User

Unable to Sort File Names

Hello - I downloaded several years of Bank statements and because I could not make sense of their numbering system, I renamed the PDFs using the month & year. I thought MS would sort using these numbers, but it's not happening. I used names like 520.pdf and 521.pdf for statements from 1119 to today. I used the drop-down and checked the 0-9 box assuming that means I want to sort numerically. I tried resorting by clicking "Name" numerous times, but all it did was re-sort in the reverse order.This is a feature I have used many times in the past and it was always easy to sort using the fil

:)

l_turn9, Jul 31, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

How to sort by file name?

Hi Walter,

There is a lot of files on a PC, and Windows system files will produce a lot of duplicates, which are required . . .

Open Windows File Explorer

Navigate to whatever drive or folder you want to search

In the search box at the top right, enter *.* and hit Enter, that will bring up a list of every file - it may be a very long list, you can then sort by file name to find duplicates . . .

DaveM121, Jul 31, 2021
  3. Darshan J Win User
    Unable to sort the files

Hi Bastin,

Let me help you with your query.

It’s really hard time to change each file name or date/time to sort the files.

However, you can right click inside the folder and select
    sort by and select more option and choose various options available to sort the files.

With respect to your suggestion to developing an algorithm, I suggest you to give a feedback using feedback app to send Microsoft regarding this feature. Type Feedback on Search bar and go to
    Feedback app.

Hope this information is helpful.

Darshan J, Jul 31, 2021
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

File Folder ahead in sort by ''Name''

Hello Luka,

There are a few reason why your folders are sorted by Name. For us to narrow it down, kindly answer the questions listed below:

• What do you mean by ahead?
    • Can you send a screenshot on where you're trying to sort your folders?

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Paolo Mag, Jul 31, 2021
Thema:

1. Unable to Sort File Names - Similar Threads - Unable Sort File

2. Windows 11 sort files on whole name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 sort files on whole name: Why is it that Windows Explorer does not use the full name when sorting either ascending or descending order. It's not to do with the file types as I've copied only word documents to it's own directory but nothing is different. I've tried the Registry update found on another...
  3. Sort folders by name, but files inside by date?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sort folders by name, but files inside by date?: Hi, I've recently ran into a conundrum that I can't find a solution to. I am trying to organise my collection of photographs. Since a lot of photos only have a random set of letters and numbers for a name such as IMG_78953, it makes sense to order them in their folders by the...
  4. What are the file name sorting rules ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the file name sorting rules ?: >> Is there a place in Microsoft that describes the official file name sorting rules?Are the rules the same for w10 and w11 ?Does it make a difference when using One Drive ?I have used _ and __ as the first characters of file names for years to keep files at the top of a...
  5. What are the file name sorting rules ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are the file name sorting rules ?: >> Is there a place in Microsoft that describes the official file name sorting rules?Are the rules the same for w10 and w11 ?Does it make a difference when using One Drive ?I have used _ and __ as the first characters of file names for years to keep files at the top of a...
  6. Sorting files alphabetically by name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sorting files alphabetically by name in Windows 10: Files are sorted ascending by name, but shown in a weird way: 07<digit> files are below 08<letter> files though 07<letter> files are above 08<letter ones>.Is it possible to sort files which names start with numbers in a real alphabetical order?Thanks,Boris...
  7. Sorting files alphabetically by name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sorting files alphabetically by name in Windows 10: Files are sorted ascending by name, but shown in a weird way: 07<digit> files are below 08<letter> files though 07<letter> files are above 08<letter ones>.Is it possible to sort files which names start with numbers in a real alphabetical order?Thanks,Boris...
  8. File Folder Sorting by date in name

File Folder Sorting by date in name: I have folders where the name starts with the date. IE: 04.14.21 Name, which is April 14, 2021. How do I sort these by Newest to Oldest date? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-sorting-by-date-in-name/618a448c-717d-40bb-870b-a52badbddc56
  9. Possible To Sort Files By End Of Name ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible To Sort Files By End Of Name ?: My screenshots end in _reddit, _twitch, etc. Can I sort the file names by the ending to make them easier to organise ? Thanks submitted by /u/dsfag45rtavdfv [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jws964/possible_to_sort_files_by_end_of_name/
  10. Any way to sort files with dates in the name?

Any way to sort files with dates in the name?: I have a folder of Georges Braque's works, all of them JPG images with their titles formatted "Title-Year of creation-Painting medium". I want to sort these paintings by their year, but the year is in the middle of the title, not the front. The dates are all four digit years...