Windows 10: Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade

Discus and support Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My surface go 2 failed the windows 11 upgrade midway through the installation. It now reboots with the automatic repair and diagnosis, but I'm unable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jas.157, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Jas.157 Win User

Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade

My surface go 2 failed the windows 11 upgrade midway through the installation. It now reboots with the automatic repair and diagnosis, but I'm unable to even do a factory reset.Error: automatic repair couldn't repair your PC.Log file: D:\Recovery\WindowsRE\Winre.wim\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txtPlease help. Thank you

:)

Jas.157, Nov 26, 2021

2. Upgrade to 10 failed - unable to update reserved partition

I'd like to see your Disk Management.

Step 1: Download this zip file (contains dmDskmgr-vd.mmc)

dmDskmgr-vd.zip
    Step 2: Double click dmDskmgr-vd.zip to open the compressed folder
    Double click dmDskmgr-vd.mmc to launch the custom Disk Management console
    You'll get an output similar to this:

Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade [​IMG]

Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
    Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image
    Attach the image to a new post.
    Option 2: Use Disk Management in the x-Menu (right click the Windows menu (aka Start), select Disk Management)
    Select View > Bottom > Disk list
    Maximize the window and grab the screen shot.

Slartybart, Nov 26, 2021
  3. sturtles Win User
    Upgrade to 10 failed - unable to update reserved partition

Thanks for the reply Bart,

Here's the shot

Currently using WIN 7-64 on my 840 Evo SSD on C:

Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade [​IMG]

sturtles, Nov 26, 2021
  4. Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade

Computer is failing to upgrade

Hi Michelle,

Most of the time, failed Windows updates occur due to damaged Windows updates component or third-party programs that prevents your computer to install the updates. For better assistance, we'll be needing additional information:

• Is there an error code displayed when the updates failed to install?
    • If possible, can you send us a screenshot?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for Windows updates and try installing it again. For your reference, check this article on where to download and run the
    Windows Update Troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Nov 26, 2021
Thema:

Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade

1. Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade - Similar Threads - Unable start computer

2. Unable to boot after upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to boot after upgrading to Windows 11: Hello, I just attempted to upgrade to Windows 11 on my brand new PC i just built and now when I attempt to boot I get a black screen with the options to boot windows 10 or 11, either selection leads to the PC crashing, rebooting and going back to the same screen. Everything...
  3. Unable to boot after upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to boot after upgrading to Windows 11: Hello, I just attempted to upgrade to Windows 11 on my brand new PC i just built and now when I attempt to boot I get a black screen with the options to boot windows 10 or 11, either selection leads to the PC crashing, rebooting and going back to the same screen. Everything...
  4. WSL fail to start after upgrade to 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL fail to start after upgrade to 22H2: I was using Ubuntu on WSL 2 before the upgrade to 22H2. After the upgrade I get the following error when trying to start it but cannot find any references to this specific error code:PS C:\Users\derek> wsl -l -v NAME STATE VERSION * Ubuntu Stopped 2 PS C:\Users\derek> wsl The...
  5. WSL fail to start after upgrade to 22H2

WSL fail to start after upgrade to 22H2: I was using Ubuntu on WSL 2 before the upgrade to 22H2. After the upgrade I get the following error when trying to start it but cannot find any references to this specific error code:PS C:\Users\derek> wsl -l -v NAME STATE VERSION * Ubuntu Stopped 2 PS C:\Users\derek> wsl The...
  6. windows 11 upgrade fail, unable to repair or recover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 upgrade fail, unable to repair or recover: Updated to windows 11. Prior to upgrade went through steps to make sure HD had space--followed prompts in upgrade and moved files to assure adequate space. Upgraded proceeded but after restart got error stating: "please insert the external storage media and press OK".Unable...
  7. windows 11 upgrade fail, unable to repair or recover

windows 11 upgrade fail, unable to repair or recover: Updated to windows 11. Prior to upgrade went through steps to make sure HD had space--followed prompts in upgrade and moved files to assure adequate space. Upgraded proceeded but after restart got error stating: "please insert the external storage media and press OK".Unable...
  8. Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade: My surface go 2 failed the windows 11 upgrade midway through the installation. It now reboots with the automatic repair and diagnosis, but I'm unable to even do a factory reset.Error: automatic repair couldn't repair your PC.Log file:...
  9. Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to start computer after failed windows 11 upgrade: My surface go 2 failed the windows 11 upgrade midway through the installation. It now reboots with the automatic repair and diagnosis, but I'm unable to even do a factory reset.Error: automatic repair couldn't repair your PC.Log file:...
  10. Unable to start Windows XP after Windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to start Windows XP after Windows 10 upgrade: First a little clarification. I had Windows 7 installed on one HDD and XP installed on secondary HDD. When I initially installed W7, it set up a boot screen which enabled me to access and run XP. After I upgraded to W10 and I try to start XP by booting from the secondary HDD,...