Windows 10: Unable to start, reset, or restore

Discus and support Unable to start, reset, or restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently updated from windows 7 to windows 10 and was doing all the new windows updates that go along with the new operating system. While doing that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnGlaeser9, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Unable to start, reset, or restore

I recently updated from windows 7 to windows 10 and was doing all the new windows updates that go along with the new operating system. While doing that my computer completely froze and was unable to do anything. I tried to restart it but it refuses to boot. So i did a clean boot and pressed f8 until i got to the repair menu. It lists a system restore point i can use but when trying to do that it gives me:

"System Restore failed while mounting the registry from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070020)"

Since i was going updates i tried to use the uninstall updates menu. After trying both quality and features, both failed and recommended I reset. I tried both keep my files, and remove everything; both failed. It wont even let me boot into safe mode.

I have no idea what to do now, my computer seems to be bricked.

:)

JohnGlaeser9, Jun 20, 2019

2. Unable to restore or resize windows now

Hi,

I realize that you are unable to restore or resize windows. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer these questions to get more clarity on this issue:

• Did you make any changes to the PC prior to this issue?

• Does this issue occur on a different user account?

Suggest you to boot the PC in a clean boot state to check if that helps. A clean boot step will help us determine if any 3rd party service or application is causing this issue.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow the steps under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot” in the article to boot to normal startup.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jun 20, 2019
  3. MIRRORvB Win User
    Windows unable to Start/Restore/Reset

My computers hardware was recently upgraded motherboard/RAM/GFX card. During this upgrade process my copy of windows became non-activated since my hard drive was reset and I've been unable to find my product key. At first everything was fine but then my
    RAM was upgraded from 8gb to 16gb(same make and model). Since the RAM upgrade my computer would occasionally need to restart and repair upon startup, this would be tedious but would eventually fix itself. Now my computer is unable to start up at all, it will
    diagnose and try to repair itself and be unable to. I've tried restarting in safe mode which hasn't worked. I've tried booting windows from a USB, which hasn't worked. I've tried doing a system restore which doesn't work the error seems to be related to spotify,
    which can be seen in the imgur. I've tried doing a system reset without losing all my files, which I am trying to save but it keeps encountering an unspecified problem. You can see my bios specs and errors in the attached link. Any suggestions would be welcome,
    thank you.

Imgur

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

MIRRORvB, Jun 20, 2019
  4. topgundcp Win User

Unable to start, reset, or restore

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

Unable to start, reset, or restore [​IMG]
    4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Jun 20, 2019
Thema:

Unable to start, reset, or restore

1. Unable to start, reset, or restore - Similar Threads - Unable start reset

2. Unable to restore Windows to a restore point or reset PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to restore Windows to a restore point or reset PC: I was installing a new browser called Opera GX. In the middle of the installation, my PC crashed and went into the BIOS mode. After rebooting several times, my PC went into the automatic repair mode. Unfortunately, it was unable to repair my PC automatically. As such, it...
  3. Unable to restore Windows to a restore point or reset PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to restore Windows to a restore point or reset PC: I was installing a new browser called Opera GX. In the middle of the installation, my PC crashed and went into the BIOS mode. After rebooting several times, my PC went into the automatic repair mode. Unfortunately, it was unable to repair my PC automatically. As such, it...
  4. Unable to Boot, Safe Restore or Reset PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Boot, Safe Restore or Reset PC: Hi, I tried turning on my PC today and it initially loaded into the sign-in interface, but kept refreshing thus I could not type in my password. I decided to restart the pc, which then led to "Preparing Automatic Repair". 1 Automatic Repair Failed > restart or advanced...
  5. Unable to Reset/Restore after recent update.

Unable to Reset/Restore after recent update.: Does anyone else seem to have issues with the re ent quality update? I have tried to restore my pc to an earlier version, but it will not let me. It won't even let me uninstall the update. Anyone know what's going on?...
  6. BSOD- unable to reset, restore, etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD- unable to reset, restore, etc.: Hello. I have had windows 10 on my laptop and had no issues until now. Yesterday during normal use, the touchpad was unresponsive so I used tab+arrows to try to go into settings and figure out the problem. Windows 11 was downloading but not installed yet. Other than that I...
  7. BSOD- unable to reset, restore, etc.

BSOD- unable to reset, restore, etc.: Hello. I have had windows 10 on my laptop and had no issues until now. Yesterday during normal use, the touchpad was unresponsive so I used tab+arrows to try to go into settings and figure out the problem. Windows 11 was downloading but not installed yet. Other than that I...
  8. BSOD- unable to reset, restore, etc.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Laptop crash. Unable to reset or restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop crash. Unable to reset or restore: My laptop crashed and I am unable to restore or reset it. When its booting up, it says "preparing automatic repair", then restarts. It's does this several times, then says "diagnosing your PC".Then it restarts. Then it brings up the automatic repair screen, I go to advanced...
  10. Critical process died. Restoring fails. Unable to Reset. Unable to start in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical process died. Restoring fails. Unable to Reset. Unable to start in safe mode: My system is running on win 10 build 1909 with GTX 1050Ti card. From yesterday, the system started crashing often, I thought it will be some graphics driver issue and I reinstalled it. Still it was crashing and after that the BSOD screen with error "Critical process died"...