Windows 10: Unable to start scan using Windows Defender, Error message: The service couldn’t be started

Discus and support Unable to start scan using Windows Defender, Error message: The service couldn’t be started in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; this happens when I click "start now" on windows defender please look the screenshot below and help me [ATTACH] ***Modified Title from: please... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by akshay{}, Apr 11, 2019.

1. akshay{} Win User

Unable to start scan using Windows Defender, Error message: The service couldn’t be started

this happens when I click "start now" on windows defender

please look the screenshot below and help me

Unable to start scan using Windows Defender, Error message: The service couldn’t be started 8aeb7565-a5c2-4e3f-bca1-ddb98d0a5b7a?upload=true.png

***Modified Title from: please help me***

:)

akshay{}, Apr 11, 2019
  2. gzt7d8 Win User

Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services

A little background first, I downloaded a file and started to install it when Defender caught the virus, but didn't contain it. So I downloaded Malwarebytes to scan and remove the virus.

After I loaded Malwarebytes I noticed I wasn't getting anymore Windows Defender definitions but I noticed the Windows Defender services were stopped and I figured Malwarebytes stopped it and that was the reason I wasn't getting anymore updates on Defender.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes but now I can't restart Windows Defender.

If I got to Control Panel then Security and Maintenance window. Both buttons to turn on Defender are grayed out.

Unable to start scan using Windows Defender, Error message: The service couldn’t be started [​IMG]

If I search for Windows Defender in the search window on the task bar. This is the result I get.

Unable to start scan using Windows Defender, Error message: The service couldn’t be started [​IMG]

And lastly, if I go into Task Manager Services, there are 2 entries for Windows Defender, both are stopped. If I try to restart them this is the message I get.

So is there anything I can do to restart the app or does it require more drastic steps such as reload 9926?

gzt7d8, Apr 11, 2019
  3. davidhk Win User
    Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Apr 11, 2019
  4. jarmst Win User

Unable to start scan using Windows Defender, Error message: The service couldn’t be started

Windows Defender Error 1058: can't start service

I've seen posts regarding similar behavior for Windows 7, but not for Windows 10. I've tried a few of the steps but some of them (like specific registry key updates) are not applicable, since the registry seems different than previous versions.

Symptoms

• Windows Defender always fails to start, gives "Error 1058"
    • Under Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender, every option is greyed out
    • Can't manually start the "Security Center" service
      • Initially set to "Disabled"
      • Change setting to "Automatic," start service manually
      • After a short time, it reverts back to "Disabled"
    Troubleshooting Steps

• Performed virus/malware removal
      • Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, HitmanPro, AdwCleaner, Kaspersky's TDSS Removal, Bitdefender, Spybot
      • Individually installed, scanned, and removed each
      • Found some adware/viruses that were removed
      • Nothing shows up in any scans now (seems like everything active was removed)
    • Checked Group Policy Editor/registry key for the "Disable Windows Defender" setting
      • Made sure everything was set to "enable" Defender
      • Still see symptoms
    • sfc /scannow
      • Showed some errors that couldn't be resolved
      • Seems to be missing critical files in the running and backup file list
      • I have the CBS.log that was ran immediately before posting; not sure how to attach it or if I should include a snippet
      • EDIT: just re-looked through the log output, seems like most of the "check failed" errors were for different shortcut files (Task Scheduler, etc.). Not sure how applicable this is now
    Possible Solutions

• Download + reinstall Windows Defender to replace missing files
      • Not sure if this is even possible, given that it's a core system component in W10
    • Restore Registry keys back to default settings
      • Virus seems to have messed up several places
      • Nothing specific to Windows 10 online for getting Windows Defender back to stock in registry

jarmst, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to start scan using Windows Defender, Error message: The service couldn’t be started - Similar Threads - Unable start scan

2. Windows Defender Service unable to start

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Service unable to start: Enabled the Group Policy on Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows DefenderTurn off Windows Defender = EnabledChange the registry value of windefend Start value for service to 0x4 hex 4, decimal 4....
  3. Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting

Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting: Everything is up to date and even did a fixdsk. It acts like it's starting but never actually starts that I can tell. Usually it starts and does a scan on reboot.I need to check my other computers to see if this is a widespread issue....
  4. Unable to start Windows defender

Unable to start Windows defender: I had installed a third party Antivirus in my Laptop and now its expired and I have already uninstalled it. I am still unable to start my Windows defender. I tried few steps like Enabling Windows Defender from Group Policy, Deleting conflicting Registry Entry, Restarting...
  5. Unable to start Windows Defender Service

Unable to start Windows Defender Service: Hello guys. Recently I have been getting Windows Defender errors that say the service couldn't be started.[ATTACH]And this error is very annoying since this is my only Anti-Virus on my laptop and I don't feel like getting another Anti-Virus. Please help me...
  6. Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting

Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Starting: Offline scans suddenly stopped working. I can initiate an offline scan in the usual way (Virus & Threat Detection > Options > Windows Defender Offline Scan), and I get the usual popup that tells me the computer is going to restart, and it does restart, but instead of seeing...
  7. Unable to start Windows Defender service

Unable to start Windows Defender service: My Defender service has stopped working. Description of behaviour is below. In the security settings, it says the service has stopped. There is a button to restart but clicking it returns an error message. Unexpected error, it appears there is a problem, try again later :...
  8. Unable to start Windows Defender service

Unable to start Windows Defender service: My Defender service has stopped working. Description of behaviour is below. In the security settings, it says the service has stopped. There is a button to restart but clicking it returns an error message. Unexpected error, it appears there is a problem, try again later :...
  9. Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services

Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services: A little background first, I downloaded a file and started to install it when Defender caught the virus, but didn't contain it. So I downloaded Malwarebytes to scan and remove the virus. After I loaded Malwarebytes I noticed I wasn't getting anymore Windows Defender...
  10. Unable to start service, error 1053

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to start service, error 1053: Hello, after updating Windows 10 to the latest build, the HUAWEI web modem service does not start, it will not help reinstall Internet Manager, fixing this problem is important to me because I can not use T-Mobile internet (via the program installed on the modem, connect and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to start Windows Defender san