Windows 10: Unable to start Windows Defender Service

Discus and support Unable to start Windows Defender Service in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello guys. Recently I have been getting Windows Defender errors that say the service couldn't be started.[ATTACH]And this error is very annoying since... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Windows 98_152, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Unable to start Windows Defender Service

Hello guys. Recently I have been getting Windows Defender errors that say the service couldn't be started. Unable to start Windows Defender Service df3256a5-085f-4e7e-a6a2-5b3cfa78b2da?upload=true.png And this error is very annoying since this is my only Anti-Virus on my laptop and I don't feel like getting another Anti-Virus. Please help me

:)

Windows 98_152, Oct 19, 2020
  2. davidhk Win User

Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

Unable to start Windows Defender Service [​IMG]

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Oct 19, 2020
  3. gzt7d8 Win User
    Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services

A little background first, I downloaded a file and started to install it when Defender caught the virus, but didn't contain it. So I downloaded Malwarebytes to scan and remove the virus.

After I loaded Malwarebytes I noticed I wasn't getting anymore Windows Defender definitions but I noticed the Windows Defender services were stopped and I figured Malwarebytes stopped it and that was the reason I wasn't getting anymore updates on Defender.

I uninstalled Malwarebytes but now I can't restart Windows Defender.

If I got to Control Panel then Security and Maintenance window. Both buttons to turn on Defender are grayed out.

If I search for Windows Defender in the search window on the task bar. This is the result I get.

And lastly, if I go into Task Manager Services, there are 2 entries for Windows Defender, both are stopped. If I try to restart them this is the message I get.

So is there anything I can do to restart the app or does it require more drastic steps such as reload 9926?

gzt7d8, Oct 19, 2020
  4. Unable to start Windows Defender Service

Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

Hi guys!

I finally managed to fix my Windows Defender. I had to restore the service using registry key. And also make changes in the registry using steps mentioned on articles online.

I restored the WD default registry key through the steps provided here this restored my service of Windows defender.

Services - Restore Default Services in Windows 8

It seems that the registry key for WD of Windows 8.1 is same as that of Windows 10.

I also followed the steps mentioned here:
    [FIX] Windows Could Not Start The Windows Defender Network Inspection Service On Local Computer

And

Here:

Windows Defender Does Not Start in Windows 10 - WindowsInstructed

So far it's working fine. Will report back if I see anything weird pop up as I did fiddle with the registry keys.

Thanks for the help davidhk Unable to start Windows Defender Service :)

thenextstar, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Unable to start Windows Defender Service

1. Unable to start Windows Defender Service - Similar Threads - Unable start Defender

2. Unable to Start Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to Start Windows Defender: Plz anyone help for this error I am not able to enable my antivirus[Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unable-to-start-windows-defender/92318026-deb8-4ea6-8230-11eac6bd9b49
  3. Windows Defender Service unable to start

Windows Defender Service unable to start: Enabled the Group Policy on Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows DefenderTurn off Windows Defender = EnabledChange the registry value of windefend Start value for service to 0x4 hex 4, decimal 4....
  4. Unable to start Windows defender

Unable to start Windows defender: I had installed a third party Antivirus in my Laptop and now its expired and I have already uninstalled it. I am still unable to start my Windows defender. I tried few steps like Enabling Windows Defender from Group Policy, Deleting conflicting Registry Entry, Restarting...
  5. Windows Defender Service Couldn't be Started

Windows Defender Service Couldn't be Started: this is the problem when I click "start now" on windows defender what to do please help[ATTACH] [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-service-couldnt-be-started/86fb1270-ced0-4795-b295-622e5a718c50
  6. Windows Defender Service service failed to start

Windows Defender Service service failed to start: Hello, I have a server 2016 on which I am unable to start the Windefend service. I'm getting an error upon starting the service in the System log: "The Windows Defender Service service failed to start due to the following error: Windows cannot verify the digital...
  7. Unable to start Windows Defender,

Unable to start Windows Defender,: running Windows 10 on a stand alone PC, infected since running a possible malware. Have been using licensed McAfee and Kaspersky AV programs as an alternate. Windows Defender does not run even on the offline scan option [ATTACH]...
  8. Unable to start Windows Defender service

Unable to start Windows Defender service: My Defender service has stopped working. Description of behaviour is below. In the security settings, it says the service has stopped. There is a button to restart but clicking it returns an error message. Unexpected error, it appears there is a problem, try again later :...
  9. Unable to start Windows Defender service

Unable to start Windows Defender service: My Defender service has stopped working. Description of behaviour is below. In the security settings, it says the service has stopped. There is a button to restart but clicking it returns an error message. Unexpected error, it appears there is a problem, try again later :...
  10. Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services

Unable to Re-Start Windows Defender Services: A little background first, I downloaded a file and started to install it when Defender caught the virus, but didn't contain it. So I downloaded Malwarebytes to scan and remove the virus. After I loaded Malwarebytes I noticed I wasn't getting anymore Windows Defender...