Windows 10: Unable to start Windows XP after Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Unable to start Windows XP after Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First a little clarification. I had Windows 7 installed on one HDD and XP installed on secondary HDD. When I initially installed W7, it set up a boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jon, Aug 31, 2015.

1. JON
    Jon Win User

Unable to start Windows XP after Windows 10 upgrade

First a little clarification. I had Windows 7 installed on one HDD and XP installed on secondary HDD. When I initially installed W7, it set up a boot screen which enabled me to access and run XP. After I upgraded to W10 and I try to start XP by booting from the secondary HDD, it pops up with the W7 boot select screen and, when I select to run "Earlier version of Windows", it goes to a black screen with no HDD activity.
    Before you ask why I still have XP, I run a number of programs for design and game modding which are NOT compatible with later versions of Windows, even when using the so-called compatibility modes.
    Is there any way I can eliminate the residual W7 boot select screen?

:)

2. Removing XP Mode from Windows 10 Pro

Having upgraded from Window 7 Pro with Windows Virtual PC-XP Mode to Windows 10 Professional I have been left with a problem.

I have been unable to remove any references to the programs used within XP Mode which now appear in the apps listing in the Windows 10 Start page - They all have uninstall options which do not function (of course!)

Anyone got any clues?

GeoffBrannan, Aug 31, 2015
  3. Åke RagnarEriksson, Aug 31, 2015
  4. Unable to start Windows XP after Windows 10 upgrade

When you upgraded to Win10, it overwrote the Win7 boot files. So, are you saying you get two boot screens -- one for Win7 and one for Win10?

Mark Phelps, Aug 31, 2015
  5. JON
    Jon Win User
    No, when I start the computer, it defaults to Windows 10. When I use the motherboards "Select boot disk" function to boot from the secondary drive I get the W7 boot select screen with no reference to W10.

6. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Aug 31, 2015
  7. JON
    Jon Win User
    Thank you very much! Downloaded and ran BCD. Added W-XP using its automated search. Rebooted and everything worked perfectly! Kudos!

8. AddRAM Win User

Excellent job, glad I was able to help *Thumbs

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to start Windows XP after Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Unable start upgrade

2. upgrade xp to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade xp to windows 10?: Can I upgrade xp to windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-xp-to-windows-10/b6df61a8-966e-4b07-a8cd-5b86587aea3b
  3. upgrade xp to windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade xp to windows 10?: Can I upgrade xp to windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-xp-to-windows-10/b6df61a8-966e-4b07-a8cd-5b86587aea3b
  4. Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10: Dear Admin, Good day to you, please I need your help to upgrade a Windows XP to Windows 10, this system has Windows XP installed long ago because it is still used to program PLC’s now to OS keep showing blue-screen on bootup, please there are backup’s and licenses of the...
  5. Upgrade from XP to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from XP to Windows 10: I have an HP Media Center PC m7680n running XP. After an IE8 upgrade I lost internet connectivity and cannot recover. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and ordered a USB. When I try to run the setup.exe from USB I get "setup.exe is not a valid win32 application" Whether I...
  6. Upgrade from XP to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from XP to Windows 10: I have an HP Media Center PC m7680n running XP. After an IE8 upgrade I lost internet connectivity and cannot recover. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 and ordered a USB. When I try to run the setup.exe from USB I get "setup.exe is not a valid win32 application" Whether I...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade from WIndows XP

Windows 10 upgrade from WIndows XP: i had windows XP with 32bit. I backed up my computer. I then upgraded to windows 10 which also changed my 32bit to 64bit. I of course had to erase everything on my computer. Can I now recover my files from by back up which is saved on my external hard drive?...
  8. Reformatting xp and upgrade to windows 10

Reformatting xp and upgrade to windows 10: I want to reformat my laptop it is a Windows xp but upgraded free to windows 10 ..will I be able to use my xp key code then upgrade to windows 10 free again...
  9. Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home: Hello, A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After that today I open my laptop and I have a black screen. I move my touchpad thinking I'm going to get to the login screen but still nothing happens. I...
  10. Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home: *Moved the thread* Hello, A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After that today I open my laptop and I have a black screen. I move my touchpad thinking I'm going to get to the login screen but...