Windows 10: Unable to Switch Keyboard Layouts with Shortcuts

Discus and support Unable to Switch Keyboard Layouts with Shortcuts in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So I saw one other person had a similar problem here:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BlanketPI, Apr 28, 2019.

1. BlanketPI Win User

Unable to Switch Keyboard Layouts with Shortcuts

So I saw one other person had a similar problem here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...not-work/4399b607-d6a1-4388-86b7-0dda8b69c19b

I'm posting this both because while I had the problem with Windows 7, it wasn't as restrictive as it is with Windows 10 right now, and because I have no idea how to access his solution (which I'm worried might cause other issues, as well).

So I have a lot of keyboard layouts installed, in case I should ever want to type in one of the relevant languages, but there's only a few I really want to keep available without having to go to the language bar:

-Korean (which is my default, because it doubles as an English keyboard)

-Canadian International Standard

-Greek Polytonic

-a custom Hebrew keyboard, which I installed long after this was a problem, and is my only custom keyboard (I was having this problem when I was just using the standard Hebrew keyboard)

If it's relevant, my display language is French, and I do not have the other keyboards for the respective language (i.e. standard English, standard Greek, nor standard Hebrew). I am able to have Crtl + Shift + 1 give me the Korean keyboard, but whenever I add a shortcut for the others (Crtl + Shift + 2 or 3 or 4), while it may display those as being shortcuts in the language bar options window (even if I close it and reopen it), they flat out don't work. Moreover it forgets about them often, probably whenever I put my computer into hibernate.

For the record, when I still had Windows 7 (before my laptop needed to be replaced) when I had the standard Greek and Hebrew layouts available, any shortcut I assigned to the more specialized one would be reverted to the standard one. But now there's no real way to do even that. (I had the display language as English back then, too.)

Any ideas on how to get these to work?

(Sorry if I have the wrong label, by the way. I wasn't sure whether this would be under "Personalization" or "Ease of Access"

:)

BlanketPI, Apr 28, 2019

2. How to change the default keyboard layout shortcut.

Hi,

I would like to inform you that presently you may change the default keyboard layout by pressing
    Windows key + space and I would like to inform you that it is not possible to change the keyboard shortcut for the keyboard layout.

• If you would like to create shortcut for the applications, please follow the below steps:
    • Right click on the application and select properties.
    • Enter a key combination in the Shortcut key field. The combination must be CTRL + ALT + a letter / number.

Hope the information helps. Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 28, 2019
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Switch layout via screen keyboard in one tap

Hi Mikhail,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Could you please help me with the below questions:

• Which version of Windows you are using?
    • Which is the default keyboard language you use?

You can follow these steps to switch between the keyboard layouts:

1. Tap on the Windows key on your keyboard, search for control panel.
    2. Tap on Languages > on the left pane, select Advance settings.
    3. Tap on ‘Change language bar hot keys’ under switching input methods.
    4. Go to the second tap: Advance key settings.
    5. Select the language To English > click on Change key sequence.
    6. Check the box: Enable key sequence.
    7. Select the shortcut keys you would like to use under the drop down menu along with the key and click on Ok.
    8. Click on apply and Ok.
    9. Restart the PC and try the shortcut keys now.

This should change the keyboard layout language with the shortcut keys we have setup.

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Apr 28, 2019
  4. Unable to Switch Keyboard Layouts with Shortcuts

Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it).

Now when I switch to French I find that I am often in another layout which I believe to be the Canadian French layout, although I am not completely sure. It is similar to the Canadian multilingual with the most notable difference being that the è and the / are swapped round. I have never chosen the Canadian French keyboard in my preferences and it isn't listed there now. Canadian Multilingual is what is listed.

What's even more annoying is that the layout seems to switch randomly between Canadian Multilingual and Canadian French while I am typing, so I am never really sure what is going to happen when I try to type an è.

How can I get my keyboard to consistently be Canadian Multilingual when I am typing in French?

ricecrispies, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

Unable to Switch Keyboard Layouts with Shortcuts

1. Unable to Switch Keyboard Layouts with Shortcuts - Similar Threads - Unable Switch Keyboard

2. Can I change the "switch between keyboard layouts" keyboard shortcut in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I change the "switch between keyboard layouts" keyboard shortcut in Windows 11?: The default keyboard shortcut to change the keyboard layout is Win+Spacebar as seen in the picture. But there is also another shortcut: if you hold Control and press Shift it will also switch between the layouts. This is very inconvenient because there are other software...
  3. Can I change the "switch between keyboard layouts" keyboard shortcut in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I change the "switch between keyboard layouts" keyboard shortcut in Windows 11?: The default keyboard shortcut to change the keyboard layout is Win+Spacebar as seen in the picture. But there is also another shortcut: if you hold Control and press Shift it will also switch between the layouts. This is very inconvenient because there are other software...
  4. Unable to remove keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to remove keyboard layout: Hi! I want to have my Windows Display langauge set to English, with a Norwegian and a Russian keyboard layout. However, when I press Win+Space, I get a list of three languages. I don't need the English keyboard layout, because I'm not used to the layout and the Norwegian...
  5. Keyboard layout switching issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Keyboard layout switching issue: Hello, I use Windows 10. In my system there are several combination of language/keyboard layout: - English/United States-International QWERTY - English/US QWERTY - Russian/Russian - French/United States-International QWERTY - French/French AZERTY I try to configure...
  6. Auto-switch keyboard layout?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto-switch keyboard layout?: I have 2 keyboards with different layouts (US-International and PT-ABNT2) I switch back and forth between. I currently have a shortcut set to change layouts. Is there any way to configure Windows 10 so it automatically switches to the correct layout based on the keyboard I'm...
  7. Problems switching between keyboard layouts

Problems switching between keyboard layouts: I am having trouble switching between keyboard layouts for different languages. English is my default setting and I have the language packs for 4 other languages installed. However, the language selection icon the one that normally appears in the lower righthand corner...
  8. Keyboard shortcut for a single layout resets

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard shortcut for a single layout resets: Hi, windows has a function where you can switch to a single set keyboard layout via a keyboard shortcut: Change Hotkeys to Switch Keyboard Layout in Windows 10 However it often resets my setup. Win7 never did. I'm on Windows 10 1903 but it occurred on earlier win10 releases...
  9. Keyboard shortcut for a single layout resets

Keyboard shortcut for a single layout resets: Hi, windows has a function where you can switch to a single set keyboard layout via a keyboard shortcut. https://winaero.com/blog/change-hotkeys-switch-keyboard-layout-windows-10/ However it often resets my setup. Win7 never did. I'm on Windows 10 1903 but it occurred on...
  10. Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout

in Windows 10 Support
    Randomly switching to unwanted keyboard layout: When I type in French I use the Canadian Multilingual Standard layout. This is what I have configured in my settings and it is what worked fine for me for years until a week or two ago (which suggests the April update may have had something to do with it). Now when I switch...