Windows 10: Unable to switch languages after update

Discus and support Unable to switch languages after update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is just getting ridiculous. Every time there`s a windows update, an issue happens with language selection. Default language won`t work, or an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bobbymcgeed, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Unable to switch languages after update

This is just getting ridiculous. Every time there`s a windows update, an issue happens with language selection.

Default language won`t work, or an extra keyboard is added for no reason, or am forced to use one language I don`t want to that`s tied to the wrong keyboard layout... and all this when I have not changed a single setting -- it just happens with Windows update.

But December 20 2018 update just plain killed the ability to switch languages. You know, an important thing if working in multi-language, but I suppose it`s the main thing that developers and testers don`t care about when working on Windows?

I mean, I managed to get it kind of onto English from French, but ``````` look at those apostrophes! This is supposed to be an English apostrophe ` ,but it comes from the French keyboard. The language selection won`t switch away displaying that the keyboard is in French, yet I can half-way switch by using the shortcut to switch languages. It gets rid of part of the French keyboard, but keeps the rest.

So, now I`ve got an English keyboard, managed to get rid of French accents (until I need them when they won`t be available of course), but I can`t make a proper English apostrophe appear.

So much for Professional writing to clients.

Windows team, please invest slightly more care into the tens of millions of people out there who don`t exclusively use English.

***Modified title from: Windows update completely breaks language selection***

:)

bobbymcgeed, Dec 22, 2018
  2. avi12641 Win User

Prevent language from automatically being changed

• Since Keyla has stopped working.
    • Two.
    • When I test if the language stays after switching between programs - I switch to a different program, then switch the language, then switch to the previous program.
    The steps you suggested didn't work, as I don't want to remove any of the languages.

avi12641, Dec 22, 2018
  3. Unable to switch to Chinese Bopomofo language for typing, Error: Downloading Language Dictionary...

Hello Kuan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which version of Windows 10 you are using currently?
    2. Have you tried installing any other language?

The issue might be that the language pack features are not installed properly. We can try uninstalling and then installing the language pack again and check if that helps.

Follow the steps mentioned below to remove the language pack.

1. Go to Settings > Time & Language >
      Region & Language.
    2. Click on Chinese
      and Click on Remove.

After removing the language pack, refer the article to
    Add and switch input and display language preferences in Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Dec 22, 2018
  4. Unable to switch languages after update

unable to change the language of UI

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

To assist you better I would like to know, what was the base language for your previous Operating system?

I would suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Remove the Existing language.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Control panel.

• Select language.

• Click on the Option adjacent to the
      Existing language.

• Click on remove under input method.
    Step 2: Add English Language.

• Press Windows + X on your keyboard.

• Select Control panel.

• Select language.

• Click on Add language.

• Add the English language from the given list.

If you want a language pack:

You may refer to the suggestions posted by Andre Da Costa on the following thread.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-edition/930628cd-18a0-4a21-8270-284584397495

Hope this information was helpful.

Sahil Bali, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

Unable to switch languages after update

1. Unable to switch languages after update - Similar Threads - Unable switch languages

2. Switch Keyboard Languages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch Keyboard Languages: Hi all,Had this issue in the past, now again with Windows 11 even when Windows 11 is fresh installed. My old thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-languages/64a40c2c-73a6-420e-a0df-33062d2b31ce4 Languages are shown in the Keyboard Languages...
  3. Switch Keyboard Languages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch Keyboard Languages: Hi all,Had this issue in the past, now again with Windows 11 even when Windows 11 is fresh installed. My old thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-languages/64a40c2c-73a6-420e-a0df-33062d2b31ce4 Languages are shown in the Keyboard Languages...
  4. Switch Languages

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switch Languages: Hi all, In my Windows settings, have 2 languages installed. But 4 languages are shown, don't know why. In the Registry HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload have also 4 languages. Deleting the two wrong languages there, does not help. Thanks for any advice. Cheers...
  5. Language switching

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Language switching: Hi, I'm using Windows since version 3.0. Now with the ending of Windows 7 support I'll be forced to upgrade to Windows 10 and here comes the problem. Since at least Windows 3.11 switching languages in Windows was working almost flawlessly. Now, with Windows 10 this is...
  6. Switching keyboards/languages

Switching keyboards/languages: I have only one language and two layouts of keyboard defined in Windows 10. But in panel when switching there are 4 possibilities! WHY? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switching-keyboardslanguages/ab4a9a40-1fc3-4580-b082-29ffc83b3b44
  7. Problem with switching languages

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with switching languages: After the last Windows update in December, I cannot switch the languages on the keyboard. This issue occurs each time after the update. But the last update is getting me mad because I cannot switch languages at all!...
  8. Unable to switch to Chinese Bopomofo language for typing, Error: Downloading Language...

Unable to switch to Chinese Bopomofo language for typing, Error: Downloading Language...: Hello, I am having a issue of typing traditional Chinese with Bopomofo input method in Window 10. I have installed the language pack successfully as the below screen shows. [ATTACH] However, every time I wanted to switch between Chinese and English using Shift key...
  9. switch language

switch language: i 've changed the language to russian by mistake _ setting >>region and time >>language >> add language _ so all the system language switched to russian i tried to switch back to english but nothing happened tried to add language_any english version_ but nothing added...
  10. Unable to download and install language packs after update to 1803

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to download and install language packs after update to 1803: After an apparently successful update to Version 1803, I've found that my default language has changed to Italian, wheras before it was set to British English. I have added US and GB English to my preferred languages, but I cannot download the relevant language packs (the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. after update I am unable to switch languages