Windows 10: Unable to transfer windows after motherboard/CPU change without access to old hardware.

Discus and support Unable to transfer windows after motherboard/CPU change without access to old hardware. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently replaced my motherboard and CPU and am unable to activate my product key. I do not have access to old hardware. They key was purchased... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Alauc550, May 17, 2022.

1. Alauc550 Win User

Unable to transfer windows after motherboard/CPU change without access to old hardware.

I recently replaced my motherboard and CPU and am unable to activate my product key. I do not have access to old hardware. They key was purchased digitally through the Microsoft store in January. Installed windows through media creation tool USBWhen I enter the key it says unable to use. When running the troubleshooter and selecting ‘recently replaced hardware’ it simply says I can’t activate using my key. I don’t have a way of un-registering my old hardware due to not having access to it. The troubleshooter does not list any other hardware with the key activated on it either.

:)

Alauc550, May 17, 2022

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, May 17, 2022
  3. Des- Win User
    Unable to activate windows 10 pro after hardware changed

I am unable to uninstall the key from my old motherboard as it was already sold together with the CPU.

Also during the Activation troubleshooter, I signed in to the microsoft account that ties my windows 10, my new device is not shown in the list when i select " I have recently changed my hardware " option

4. PinChung Win User

Unable to transfer windows after motherboard/CPU change without access to old hardware.

Unable to activate Windows after motherboard, CPU and graphic card change

My old motherboard died after a BIOS update. I had to get a new motherboard and CPU.

At the same time, I got a new graphic card.

after setting everything up, Windows 10 asked me to activate windows.

I tried the Windows activate troubleshoot after hardware change, and saw a list of the computers I have. I select the one that was running the current Windows, but it gave me an error message saying

"We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."

Please help.

Pin

PinChung, May 17, 2022
Thema:

1. Unable to transfer windows after motherboard/CPU change without access to old hardware. - Similar Threads - Unable transfer motherboard

2. Unable to access network drive after motherboard and cpu replacement

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access network drive after motherboard and cpu replacement: Hello all,I am having an issue accessing my family's network drive after upgrading my motherboard and CPU recently. I have struggled for the past month trying to access the network drive since upgrading. When trying to connect to the network drive it gives me a network error...
  3. Unable to sign in to Windows 11 after changing motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to sign in to Windows 11 after changing motherboard and CPU: I changed my CPU from a 3600 to a 7700x and everything works except Windows will not allow me to sign in to my microsoft account. This leaves me unable to use my Xbox Gamepass subscription or download anything from the Windows Store.I had tried to switch from my Microsoft...
  4. Unable to sign in to Windows 11 after changing motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to sign in to Windows 11 after changing motherboard and CPU: I changed my CPU from a 3600 to a 7700x and everything works except Windows will not allow me to sign in to my microsoft account. This leaves me unable to use my Xbox Gamepass subscription or download anything from the Windows Store.I had tried to switch from my Microsoft...
  5. Unable to transfer windows after motherboard/CPU change without access to old hardware.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to transfer windows after motherboard/CPU change without access to old hardware.: I recently replaced my motherboard and CPU and am unable to activate my product key. I do not have access to old hardware. They key was purchased digitally through the Microsoft store in January. Installed windows through media creation tool USBWhen I enter the key it says...
  6. Unable to transfer windows after motherboard/CPU change without access to old hardware.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to transfer windows after motherboard/CPU change without access to old hardware.: I recently replaced my motherboard and CPU and am unable to activate my product key. I do not have access to old hardware. They key was purchased digitally through the Microsoft store in January. Installed windows through media creation tool USBWhen I enter the key it says...
  7. Unable to reactivate after motherboard and CPU change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to reactivate after motherboard and CPU change: I changed my motherboard, CPU and RAM. Because of this my hard disk had to be formatted and then when I tried to reactivate my Windows, I am getting the error code: 0x803FABBB. I had gotten Windows 8 years back and I have forgotten the product key. How do I activate my...
  8. Unable to reactivate after motherboard and CPU change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to reactivate after motherboard and CPU change: I changed my motherboard, CPU and RAM. Because of this my hard disk had to be formatted and then when I tried to reactivate my Windows, I am getting the error code: 0x803FABBB. I had gotten Windows 8 years back and I have forgotten the product key. How do I activate my...
  9. Unable to reactivate after motherboard and CPU change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  10. Transferring Windows 10 license after a hardware upgrade without having access to the old...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring Windows 10 license after a hardware upgrade without having access to the old...: Hi Guys, I have upgraded my hardware some time ago and sold out the the old components already. Can I still transfer the my Win10 license to the new hardware. I have the retail box, the key card etc.Thanks!...