Windows 10: Unable to Turn off/Restart PC or delete devices

Discus and support Unable to Turn off/Restart PC or delete devices in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I am currently running Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18363. I have been having persistent problems with being unable to restart or turn off my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Adam.G, May 9, 2020.

1. Adam.G Win User

Unable to Turn off/Restart PC or delete devices

Hello, I am currently running Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.18363. I have been having persistent problems with being unable to restart or turn off my PC, as well as being unable to delete devices/device drivers, or uninstall programs that have their own drivers. Here are some of the common symptoms of the problem:

When I click Shutdown or Restart, the blue shutdown screen appears and spins for approximately 5 minutes before showing a BSOD with error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Also, whenever my PC enters sleep mode, it becomes impossible to wake. I have tried most of the solutions that I have found online including updating all drivers, changing power plan settings, running SFC, etc with no change in behavior whatsoever.

Another, possibly related issue occurs when I try to uninstall certain programs. Most notably, I have tried on several occasions to uninstall LogMeIn Hamachi. Every time I try this, the uninstaller hangs on Removing Device Driver, and never progresses. I am also unable to delete or disable the "hamachi" device under "Other Devices" or the "LogMeIn Hamachi Virtual Ethernet Adapter" under "Network Adapters" in the device manager. When I try to do this, the device manager goes unresponsive until I kill the program from the task manager.

After trying all of the online solutions that seemed reasonable, I have also attempted to reinstall windows. I first attempted to reset my windows installation from the settings app, but each time I tried, the reset failed, and all changes were undone. I have looked through the error logs from the failed reset attempts, and don't see anything that is enlightening to me, but if you like I can post the error messages.

I also tried to "upgrade" my windows installation from a fresh Windows 10 .iso file, but after the installation process reached 100%, it hung on "Windows will restart in a few moments" for an extremely long time, until I manually cycled the power, which seems to have caused the installation process to fail.

My next step at this point would likely be to completely reinstall windows, possibly reformatting my hard drive before doing so; my hope is that someone will have an idea for how to fix this that won't require me to reinstall all of the programs on my computer.

:)

Adam.G, May 9, 2020
  2. eLC2 Win User

Unable to delete PC from MS Account devices

I am unable to delete a PC under Devices on my MS Account page.

When clicking "remove", I get an error: Blank page + "try another URL".

I just renamed my PC, and it appears by the old name in the Device listing.

My MS account logon will not sync with Windows 10, and i believe the two issues might be related.

So, any tips on removing the erroneous device from my list?

Thanks! Unable to Turn off/Restart PC or delete devices :)

eLC2, May 9, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, May 9, 2020
  4. Unable to Turn off/Restart PC or delete devices

Guide: Turn your Killer E2200 NIC into Qualcomm Atheros AR8161

Basically I right click on the Killer Network Adapter in Device manager > Uninstall > Check the box to DELETE driver for this device

Then you won't have a relevant network adapter listed. So you have to add a new device, and I just followed the instructions listed in this thread... does that help?

comfytoday, May 9, 2020
Thema:

Unable to Turn off/Restart PC or delete devices

1. Unable to Turn off/Restart PC or delete devices - Similar Threads - Unable Turn off

2. PC Randomly Turns off and Restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Randomly Turns off and Restarts: As the title indicates, my PC has randomly restarted ie screen black, mechanical light up keyboard and mouse go black and then restarts. There is no rhyme or reason, most of the time I am just browsing the internet i.e a fairly light load. About a month ago, my CPU was...
  3. PC Randomly Turns off and Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Randomly Turns off and Restarts: As the title indicates, my PC has randomly restarted ie screen black, mechanical light up keyboard and mouse go black and then restarts. There is no rhyme or reason, most of the time I am just browsing the internet i.e a fairly light load. About a month ago, my CPU was...
  4. PC turning off completely even after restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC turning off completely even after restart?: Hi, so i whenever i restart my PC it needs disk checking and i found out in task manager that the CPU runs for 1 second basically it starts fresh, normally the PC doesnt shut down completely right?And also it takes like 10-20 seconds till the blue screen with "Restarting"...
  5. PC turning off completely even after restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC turning off completely even after restart?: Hi, so i whenever i restart my PC is needs disk checking and i found out in task manager that the CPU runs for 1 second, normally the PC doesnt shut down completely right?And also it takes like 10-20 seconds till the blue screen with "Restarting" disappears and the PC turns...
  6. PC Automatically Restart and turn off after deleted NVIDIA Driver Update 457.09

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC Automatically Restart and turn off after deleted NVIDIA Driver Update 457.09: Hello , I want to ask After i install my NVIDIA Drivers from 457.09, my PC Suddenly restart or even turn off automatically without any warning,When playing games like Minecraft,Tomb raider and the other games. And even when not playing any games, my PC keeps suddenly...
  7. Pc turns off but not on again when restarting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc turns off but not on again when restarting: I have tried to restart the pc several times and when you click restart, it powers down completely and does not turn back on. I am trying to clear my C drive and this requires me to do a restart, which fails as it turns off every time. Any help would be much appreciated...
  8. Allow PC to turn off device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Allow PC to turn off device: Good day I am currently having an issue with USB and HID devices on a Del 5289 2 in 1 laptop... When I check the sleep states supported by the laptop it gives me S0 only but Windows 10 has this funny option which is ticked or turned on by default which is: "Allow the...
  9. PC randomly turns off completely and restarts.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC randomly turns off completely and restarts.: I've had this issue for the past month or longer. It's inconsistent as hell and ridiculously annoying. Basically at random points my pc will turn off completely and then restart for absolutely no reason whatsoever, even when loading into a game which is more common. Now I...
  10. When I restart pc it turns off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    When I restart pc it turns off: When I restart my pc it turns off but all the lights and fans are still on. When i shut it down it down it works perfectly fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-restart-pc-it-turns-off/79c267bb-44f8-4ec3-804a-80ff1f06cd2f