Windows 10: Unable to turn on file and printer sharing on guest or public network

Discus and support Unable to turn on file and printer sharing on guest or public network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to turn on File and Printer Sharing on the Guest or Public Network but whenever I save the changes the status returns to "Turn off" as shown... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by antares, Apr 1, 2020.

1. antares Win User

Unable to turn on file and printer sharing on guest or public network

I'm trying to turn on File and Printer Sharing on the Guest or Public Network but whenever I save the changes the status returns to "Turn off" as shown in the attached screenshot. Thanks for any hints.

Unable to turn on file and printer sharing on guest or public network [​IMG]

:)

antares, Apr 1, 2020
  2. Karen Her Win User

turning on file and printer sharing windows 10

Thank you for the update. What we can suggest now is to turn on File and Printer sharing in Command Prompt. Here are the steps to do it:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type CMD in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Exit from the command prompt, and check if it will work.

If issue persists, try turning it on using Powershell, and check if it works. Here are the steps:

• Leave File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks turned
      on.
    • Type Powershell in the Search bar.
    • Right-click on Windows PowerShell, and select
      Run as Administrator
    • Type netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="File and Printer Sharing" new enable=Yes, and hit
      Enter.
    • Close PowerShell.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen Her, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Not able to access shared folders on network

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, file and printer sharing is turned on even for Guest or Public networks. Network Discovery is turned off for Guest or Public Networks.

--Nanda

Nanda KumarCH, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Mark Ole Win User

Windows 10 - Networking

Hi Nizam,

To address your concern, we suggest that you check the firewall settings of WS2.

Also check if the network discovery and file & printer sharing are both enabled.

To enable Network discovery, please follow these steps:

• Open Settings, and click on the Network & Internet icon.
    • Click on on the left side, click on the Ethernet connection.
    • Turn on Make this PC discoverable.
    • Restart the computer.
    To Turn On or Off File and Printer Sharing in Network and Sharing Center.

• Open Control Panel, and click on the Network and Sharing Center.
    • Click on the Change advanced sharing settings.
    • Expand the Private or Guest or Public network profile to turn on or off file and printer sharing.
    • Select Turn on file and printer sharing and click on
      Save changes
    • Restart the computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to turn on file and printer sharing on guest or public network - Similar Threads - Unable turn file

2. Unable to Access Shared Printer on Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Access Shared Printer on Network: Hello, I'm having trouble accessing a shared printer on my home network from my Windows 11 laptop. The printer is connected to another computer on the network, and sharing is enabled, but I can't seem to connect to it. Whenever I try to add the printer, I receive an error...
  3. Unable to Access Shared Printer on Network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Access Shared Printer on Network: Hello, I'm having trouble accessing a shared printer on my home network from my Windows 11 laptop. The printer is connected to another computer on the network, and sharing is enabled, but I can't seem to connect to it. Whenever I try to add the printer, I receive an error...
  4. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file and printer sharing not staying turned on: Asked this one a while back and did some experimenting. The File and Printer sharing keeps resetting to off after turning it on. Refuses to stay on. Tried all suggestions that I was given on here. Nothing worked so dont resugest the same things again. As a last resort I...
  5. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file and printer sharing not staying turned on: Asked this one a while back and did some experimenting. The File and Printer sharing keeps resetting to off after turning it on. Refuses to stay on. Tried all suggestions that I was given on here. Nothing worked so dont resugest the same things again. As a last resort I...
  6. file and printer sharing not staying turned on

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. File and printer sharing not turning on!

File and printer sharing not turning on!: Hi, I run a NAS on my home network, on my old version of Windows 10 it was visible and accessible. I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Windows install the latest version 1909 and now I cannot turn on file and printer sharing over a...
  8. Cannot Turn ON File and Printer Sharing

Cannot Turn ON File and Printer Sharing: Hello, I have a network that is pretty simple. * ATT DSL model/router. * MyBook Live NAS attached by Ethernet to the router * 2 identical Dell M2800 laptops running Windows 10 (with update 1803) that connect to the network via wireless. Both are typically within 10 feet of...
  9. Network file and printer sharing will not stay on

Network file and printer sharing will not stay on: I have a desktop running Windows 10. Some time back I began to be unable to be seen by, or access, other computers on my home network. I checked setting in control panel and found "file and printer sharing" were turn off. When I tried to turn them on, they would be back to...
  10. File and printer sharing turned on

File and printer sharing turned on: Hi, two days ago i got a new router from my provider because with my old one the connection just kept identifying, after a restart w10 identified it as network 2, when booting up before that it was still network, but even after the reboot it didn't ask me what network profile...