Windows 10: Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore...

Discus and support Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; unable to turn this setting on pls help... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ashwani Pandey, Nov 17, 2022.

1. Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore...

unable to turn this setting on pls help

:)

Ashwani Pandey, Nov 17, 2022

2. Unable to turn on Windows Defender real time protection

Hi guys, I'm a bit desperate here right now. *Confused

I have the same problem that this guy over here. I'm running Windows 10 Home x64, version 1607, build 14393.0.

I had to restore the PC to a previous point because I ****ed up some drivers. Then my AV (Bitdefender Free) started having some issues (they gui didn't display correctly) so I decided to uninstall it and just go with Windows Defender.

The problem is I can't get it to work... I get a notification in the Action Center saying to turn on the virus protection, when I click it, Windows Defender goes green(PC status: protected, Real time protection: on) for a second and then goes yellow again (PC status: Windows Defender is OFF, Real time protection: Handled by another AV program) and I get the notification again. If instead of clicking the notification I click "Turn on" on the Windows Defender gui, Windows opens another window, "Apps & Features" in settings, like asking me to uninstall the other, nonexistent AV.

Now, I've tried a lot of things...

• Of course, I have completely uninstalled Bitdefender. I used the official tool provided by them for this. There is nothing in the registry by bitdefender nor any file or folder by that name in my PC.

• I have tried every step listed here.

• I have tried to install another AV (Avast) and the uninstall it to see if this would "reset" somehow windows defender. (Nope.)

• I have run MBAM and nothing pops-up

In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is noDisableAntiSpyware key. But in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender there is a DisableAntiSpyware key and its value is 0. (Not sure if this is important but wanted to give you the info.)

Anyone has any idea? Right now I'm thinking of downloading another AV or just go without any and be done with it. *Huh

ThunderRoad, Nov 17, 2022
  3. Unable to turn off Windows Defender

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are unable to turn off windows defender.

I suggest you try restarting Windows Defender service and check if issue is resolved. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and type services.msc,
      hit enter.
    • Search Windows Defender Service.:1) Windows Defender Service ; 2)
      Windows Defender Network.
    • Right click on each and press Start.
    • Restart your computer and check if issue persist.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Nov 17, 2022
  4. davidhk Win User

Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore...

Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore... [​IMG]

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Nov 17, 2022
Thema:

Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore...

1. Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore... - Similar Threads - Unable turn microsoft

2. I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus...: I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus protection for my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-turn-on-the-windows-firewall/afb5e856-c5b1-46ee-97f9-ee7810ab0deb
  3. I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus...: I'm unable to turn on the windows firewall protection and windows defender antivirus protection for my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/im-unable-to-turn-on-the-windows-firewall/afb5e856-c5b1-46ee-97f9-ee7810ab0deb
  4. Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore...: unable to turn this setting on pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-turn-on-the-microsoft-defender-firewall/94d5712e-b7ca-476a-a420-0cc14c78f8a3
  5. Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to turn on the microsoft defender firewall settings and also unable to restore...: unable to turn this setting on pls help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-turn-on-the-microsoft-defender-firewall/94d5712e-b7ca-476a-a420-0cc14c78f8a3
  6. Unable to turn on defender

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to turn on defender: can you please help to turn of the windows defender, i uninstalled the avast, tried registry and group policy as stated online it doesnt work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-turn-on-defender/5084c358-505c-4c00-b1b3-43e986ffdb3b
  7. Unable to Turn on Windows Firewall & McAfee Firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to Turn on Windows Firewall & McAfee Firewall: Hi, I'm using McAfee Total Protection for my device. But, I'm getting notification on my device that Both Firewall has been turned Off. But, while checking on McAfee, it shows Firewall status as ON. But, on my device, Firewall status shows, it is in ON state. While,...
  8. Unable to turn on Windows Defender

Unable to turn on Windows Defender: I always get a prompt in my laptop to turn on anti-virus protection. When I click on the notification to turn on the Windows Defender, I always received this message. Please help. Thanks.[ATTACH]...
  9. Unable to turn on Firewall on PC

Unable to turn on Firewall on PC: Good day I need some assistance. I have windows 10 64bit and im using avg antivirus. Everytime i stary up my p.c i keep getting a nitification that my firewall is deactivated. When i go to the notification panel to active my firewall it wont allow me to active, AVG...
  10. Unable to turn on windows firewall

Unable to turn on windows firewall: My Windows firewall kept freezing my PC every time I downloaded a file and after a lot of trouble I managed to turn it off permanently because it kept turning on by itself. However, I'm no longer able to turn it back on. [img] 79913