Windows 10: Unable to turn on Windows search service. PLEASE HELP!!!

Discus and support Unable to turn on Windows search service. PLEASE HELP!!! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've tried too many things to count at this point. Unable to rebuild index as search service won't run/turn on. Have tried troubleshooting which did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by David H 19955, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Unable to turn on Windows search service. PLEASE HELP!!!

I've tried too many things to count at this point. Unable to rebuild index as search service won't run/turn on. Have tried troubleshooting which did nothing. Have used cmd as admin and ran: net user administrator /active:yes. Have set the service to start manually and automatically but this shows 'error 5: access denied', also 'failed to read description: error code 2'

Basically on task manager the search feature is shown to be starting and stopping rapidly, but never succeeding to turn on.

I really am a novice with PC issues like this but will be able to follow basic procedures and run commands. Is it possible or advisable to delete and reinstall the search feature?

Really don't know what else to try so any advice would be much appreciated, TIA.

:)

David H 19955, Oct 4, 2020

2. Help with the Windows Search Service failed

Hi,

Having some damaged system components is one of the possible causes why the services in the system are failing. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to your computer before this issue occurred?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest refreshing the Windows Search service. To do so, follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R to pull-up the Run box.
    • In the Run box, type services.msc and then hit the Enter key.
    • In the Services window, look for Windows Search, right-click on it and then choose Stop.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Pull-up the Services window again.
    • Look for Windows Search, right-click on it and then choose Start.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Oct 4, 2020
  3. Borg 386 Win User
    windows defender & security center services keep turning off

Are you running any other AV or did you have one running in the past? If you didn't use an uninstaller for the AV, then the remnants of it could be causing the problem. Normally any time you install an AV it disables Defender by default.

If you are getting any error codes please list those, that will be helpful in helping you.

As torre suggested, might be a good idea to do a reset or even a reinstall.

Reset Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are also some suggestions listed here:

Unable to turn on Windows Defender in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Borg 386, Oct 4, 2020
  4. Geethu B Win User

Unable to turn on Windows search service. PLEASE HELP!!!

unable to turn on the location service .

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you are
    unable to turn on the location service.

I suggest you to leave a Feedback in the Windows Feedback app. You may simply search for “Windows Feedback” from the search box.

Hope this information helps.

Geethu B, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

Unable to turn on Windows search service. PLEASE HELP!!!

1. Unable to turn on Windows search service. PLEASE HELP!!! - Similar Threads - Unable turn search

2. Unable to RESTART SERVICE Windows search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to RESTART SERVICE Windows search: I have error when tried to RESTART SERVICE Windows search to fix the indexing issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-restart-service-windows-search/af1b5636-ada0-434a-8b53-03bb81eeb32a
  3. Unable to RESTART SERVICE Windows search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to RESTART SERVICE Windows search: I have error when tried to RESTART SERVICE Windows search to fix the indexing issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-restart-service-windows-search/af1b5636-ada0-434a-8b53-03bb81eeb32a
  4. Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help: Earlier the Windows Search was running fine, but now when I search in Windows Explorer, it shows 'Search indexing was turn off. Turn indexing back on.' When I click here Indexing Options opens with a message 'Indexing is not running.' I try to open 'Searching Windows' option...
  5. Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help

Search Indexing is not running and unable to turn on, please help: Earlier the Windows Search was running fine, but now when I search in Windows Explorer, it shows 'Search indexing was turn off. Turn indexing back on.' When I click here Indexing Options opens with a message 'Indexing is not running.' I try to open 'Searching Windows' option...
  6. Search Indexing is turned off, Windows search service down, help pls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Indexing is turned off, Windows search service down, help pls: I just can't fix this, need some help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing-is-turned-off-windows-search/18920ac3-0d12-467e-9fe3-c4b09598fca1
  7. Search Indexing is turned off, Windows search service down, help pls

Search Indexing is turned off, Windows search service down, help pls: I just can't fix this, need some help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-indexing-is-turned-off-windows-search/18920ac3-0d12-467e-9fe3-c4b09598fca1
  8. Unable to search in the Start Menu - please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to search in the Start Menu - please help: I disabled Cortana in the regedit and also renamed the Cortana folder in the System Apps folder in order to completely stop it from running. Now, when I hit the Start menu button on the keyboard, it opens up, but am unable to type in anything.. How do I resolve this issue?...
  9. Please help, windows search service

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Please help, windows search service: So i wanted to search a file with file explorer but apparently search indexing was turned off, so i went ahead and tried to turn it on, guess what i couldn't, "modify" is greyed out and rebuild in the advanced tab does absolutely nothing. i looked it up and it seemed to have...
  10. windows search service is turned off

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows search service is turned off: search performance will be impacted. How do I turn it back on? Outlook https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-service-is-turned-off/96286bb5-cb49-4b64-a425-7d31c462b036