Windows 10: Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also.

Discus and support Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also. in Cortana to solve the problem; Can't type anything on search box in windows taskbar or windows explorer. So unable to search anything. Also , I can't find Cotana anywhere.... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Lakshitha Samod, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also.

Can't type anything on search box in windows taskbar or windows explorer. So unable to search anything. Also , I can't find Cotana anywhere.

:)

Lakshitha Samod, Oct 7, 2019
  2. Arjay Dom Win User

Search box on taskbar missing.

Hi John,

This issue with search box may happen if it's hidden from the taskbar.

To resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the taskbar and select Search.
    • Select Show search box.

Feel free to post back if you have other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Oct 7, 2019
  3. Jay2020 Win User
    Can't type anything in the search/cotana box

Hi all,

I've recently had this problem with the Search/Cotana box. The search box worked well previously however, after updating the Window Defender and install Korean language pack (I still chose the English as the default display language), I can'y type anything
    even when I click on the box, nothing happens

Anyone has the same problem? What should I do next? Use the window restore?

Thanks,

Jay2020, Oct 7, 2019
  4. JohnHeinz Win User

Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also.

Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Oct 7, 2019
Thema:

Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also.

1. Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also. - Similar Threads - Unable type anything

2. Windows 10 Search Box in Taskbar for users not responding & unable to type anything

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Box in Taskbar for users not responding & unable to type anything: Hello,I've been having an ongoing issue that's been affecting multiple users who share the same PC in the same office.Ever since a week ago, the Search Box in Taskbar has been unresponsive and users aren't allowed to type/search anything on it. Something I've noticed is the...
  3. Windows 10 Search Box in Taskbar for users not responding & unable to type anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Search Box in Taskbar for users not responding & unable to type anything: Hello,I've been having an ongoing issue that's been affecting multiple users who share the same PC in the same office.Ever since a week ago, the Search Box in Taskbar has been unresponsive and users aren't allowed to type/search anything on it. Something I've noticed is the...
  4. Windows 10 Search Box in Taskbar for users not responding & unable to type anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  6. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar: Hi,Why i am not able to type anything in Win 10 search box in taskbar. restarted also but doesnt help.Can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-to-type-anything-in-search-box-in/20a3e6d4-4702-442a-acd7-311a9e43f7d1
  7. Unable to to type anything in search box in taskbar

in Cortana
  8. Can't type anything in the file explorer search box.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't type anything in the file explorer search box.: Just that. I've tried resetting my notebook several times, but it didn't work. How do I fix this? Thanks. submitted by /u/CannedPeas_1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m1urbt/cant_type_anything_in_the_file_explorer_search_box/
  9. Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box

in Cortana
    Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box: Can't type anything in File Explorer Search box. Search box is greyed out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-anything-in-file-explorer-search-box/b93f647a-cadc-4f4e-b7e2-fd1ac6c87e1c
  10. Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.

in Cortana
    Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.: After the latest updates I am unable to type in the search box on the taskbar. I have tried all the solutions on the internet. Powershell commands, the ctfmon fix, restarting windows explorer, all of it. No matter what I try, the search box won't respond. The latest updates...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to search windows explorer

2. windows explorer unable to type in search box