Windows 10: Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps

Discus and support Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps in Cortana to solve the problem; Hello, I am unable to type in the search bar in start menu when I click search icon or when I disable the search icon and type directly to the Start... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by O. T. Banuş, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps

Hello,

I am unable to type in the search bar in start menu when I click search icon or when I disable the search icon and type directly to the Start menu.

In Mail app I also can not type anything. However, I am typing this question using the exact same laptop, so the problem is not due to my keyboard.

I checked all available updates for my Dell G505. The problem still exists. Some had the problem in login screen, which is not the case for me I tried ending the "Search" and "Start" tasks from task manager since cortana is disabled I don't have that. The problem started a few days ago, and not after any update, new installation or change. How to solve this issue?

:)

O. T. Banuş, Jan 7, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Jan 7, 2021
  3. Bug in Windows 10 - start menu and apps not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern that you are unable to access Start menu, Windows Store apps, Microsoft Edge, Taskbar etc., after installing Windows Updates.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: If you are able to access Programs and Features, I suggest you to uninstall the updates and check.

• Press Windows + x key to open a task list from the bottom left corner of the screen.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Programs and Features.

• Double click on the updates you want to uninstall and follow the onscreen instructions.

Step 2: If you are unable to perform the above mentioned steps,
    I suggest you to run the PowerShell command and check:

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC, to open the
      Task manager

• Click File > Run New Task.

• Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges

• Type Powershell.

• Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml'; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

• Close the Powershell window.

• Reboot/Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 7, 2021
  4. Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps

Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Jan 7, 2021
Thema:

Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps

1. Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps - Similar Threads - Unable type Start

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  4. Unable to type on Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type on Start: I have been unable to type on Start or in any Windows search bars ie in Settings since yesterday. The keyboard otherwise is still functional, so I believe this is a PC problem. I looked up fixes and none of them seem to have solved this for me - one of them suggested running...
  5. Unable to type on Start

in Cortana
    Unable to type on Start: I have been unable to type on Start or in any Windows search bars ie in Settings since yesterday. The keyboard otherwise is still functional, so I believe this is a PC problem. I looked up fixes and none of them seem to have solved this for me - one of them suggested running...
  6. Unable to type on Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu: I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana, running ctfmon.exe, SFC scannow, and DISM, but none of it has worked. I have also tried creating a new user account to see if it was an issue with my account specifically, but the new account...
  8. Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot Type in Windows Start Menu: I have tried nearly all fixes I have found online, including reinstalling Cortana, running ctfmon.exe, SFC scannow, and DISM, but none of it has worked. I have also tried creating a new user account to see if it was an issue with my account specifically, but the new account...
  9. Unable to Pin a File to Start Menu App

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to Pin a File to Start Menu App: Pinning files to an app's Start Menu icon seems to be an ongoing OS problem in Win 10, MS Office 365. I have MS Office 365 installed and updated. The apps are all on the Start Menu, Word and Excel are pinned there. When I right-click on the Word app icon, the context menu...
  10. Windows 10 1803: Cortana not working and unable to type in the start menu

in Cortana
    Windows 10 1803: Cortana not working and unable to type in the start menu: I am running Windows 10 version 1803 on a Surface Pro 4. Suddenly, Cortana stopped working and I am unable to type via the start menu. I tried re-registering cortana via powershell, rebuilding the index file, checking if Cortana runs under another users profile, and made sure...