Windows 10: Unable to type in Windows 10 search box

Discus and support Unable to type in Windows 10 search box in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi, I am unable to type into the search box in the task bar of my Windows 10 laptop. Not sure if it's related but there did appear to be some... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Kevin S, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Kevin S Win User

Unable to type in Windows 10 search box

Hi,

I am unable to type into the search box in the task bar of my Windows 10 laptop.

Not sure if it's related but there did appear to be some updates applied when I logged off last night.

Googling I have found a number of suggestions.

So far I have tried the following

Attempted to restart Cortana from Task manager and services however Cortana is not visible in either.

Run powershell as administrator and executed the following

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Run C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe

Restart Windows Explorer as follows

- Press Windows key + X

- Click Task Manager

- Select the Processes tab

- Scroll down to Windows Explorer then select it

- Click Restart

run system file checker "sfc /scannow" in command prompt run as administrator.

run the following lines in the command line

taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    taskkill /f /im shellexperiencehost.exe
    timeout /t 3 /NOBREAK > nul
    del %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\TempState\* /q
    timeout /t 2 /NOBREAK > nul
    start explorer

note: when running "taskkill /f /im shellexperiencehost.exe" I got the message "ERROR: The process "shellexperiencehost.exe" not found".

The problem is still not fixed.

Further research has suggested

I go to "settings > troubleshoot > Search and Indexing > run the troubleshooter" but this gives me the message that windows cannot access the specified device or I don't have permissions.

The file specified is C:\Windows\System32\msdt.exe.

In widows eplorere I can see the file msdt.exe in C:\Windows\System32. I can't run it even though I have run windows explorer as administrator. A message pops up saying I need to enter a pass key.

If I open the command line and change the current dir to C:\Windows\System32 and attempt to run msdt.exe I get the same.

Can you advise as to anything I might have missed?

Thanks

Kevin

:)

Kevin S, Oct 10, 2019

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Oct 10, 2019
  3. Cortana search box - type request

Since I got a Win 10 update a few days ago, Cortana has been hard to deal with :>). She will take requests verbally but if it try to type something into her search box, as soon as I enter a letter, a white box appears as though some suggestions will be
    listed (as it did before the update) and then all of a sudden it disappears and I am back to the original Cortana window. Any ideas? I did set up other admin user and Cortana will allow that user to type into the box and she will immediately start a list
    of suggestions. Also I tried "method 1 and 2 that required changes to the registry.

Richardsymms, Oct 10, 2019
  4. Unable to type in Windows 10 search box

Unable to type in to box on 'Control Panel'.

In this case, we suggest that you follow these steps and check if the issue persists:

• Press Windows key + R, type control.exe srchadmin.dll, and click on
      OK.
    • Click on the Advanced button.
    • From the Advanced dialogue box, select Rebuild. Selecting
      Rebuild will begin the process of deleting, and then rebuilding your PC’s search index.

Note: While the steps to initiate the rebuilding process are simple, the actual process can take quite some time depending on how much data Windows has to index.

Keep us updated on the results.

Aileen Alf, Oct 10, 2019
Thema:

Unable to type in Windows 10 search box

1. Unable to type in Windows 10 search box - Similar Threads - Unable type search

2. Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.

in Cortana
    Unable to type in the search box on the taskbar.: After the latest updates I am unable to type in the search box on the taskbar. I have tried all the solutions on the internet. Powershell commands, the ctfmon fix, restarting windows explorer, all of it. No matter what I try, the search box won't respond. The latest updates...
  3. Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also.

in Cortana
    Unable to type anything on search box in taskbar or explorer. Cotana is missing also.: Can't type anything on search box in windows taskbar or windows explorer. So unable to search anything. Also , I can't find Cotana anywhere....
  4. Unable to type in Search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Search box: Hi all, I have an office and 3 of my machines are unable to type in the search box, I've come to the conclusion that it is Cortana as on all 3 machines there is no Cortana to be seen. But other machines in the office have Cortana and are able to search I have tried...
  5. Windows 10 Search Box

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Box: I cannot do searches that access the internet via the search box in the Windows 10 taskbar search box. I could in the past but I can't now. What have I done to cause this and, more importantly how can I fix it? I really like the results of searches in the past and I would...
  6. cursor types backward when i type in Bing search box.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cursor types backward when i type in Bing search box.: Cursor types backward in Bing and this form also. Returns to start after typing 2 letters. tried everything. HELP!!! THIS TOOK 20 MINUTES TO TYPE!!!!!!!!...
  7. Randomly unable to type in search bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Randomly unable to type in search bar: I have read many posts on how to fix this problem, but it always happens again. Why has MS not fixed this and is there any way to resolve this annoying problem? I use remote desktop often and it also affects being able to log in using RDP. Any help would be greatly...
  8. Can't type in Search box; Cortana does not work

in Cortana
    Can't type in Search box; Cortana does not work: Can't type in Search box; Cortana does not work. Tried quite a number of "fixes" online; none have worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-in-search-box-cortana-does-not-work/640dcbf5-0982-440b-ad5d-a31b4295684e"
  9. Can’t type in Windows 10 apps, Search Box, Dialogue Boxes, Cortana, etc.

in Windows 10 News
    Can’t type in Windows 10 apps, Search Box, Dialogue Boxes, Cortana, etc.: [ATTACH] It so happened to me that when typing inside Cortana, Windows 10 apps, Taskbar, Search Bar, and so on, everything was invisible. At first, I thought that there was something wrong with my keyboard, but then it turned out to be [...] This post Can’t type in Windows...
  10. Unable to Type in Search the Web and Windows Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Type in Search the Web and Windows Bar: I've just upgraded my laptop to Win10 (did my desktop several months ago). The laptop is unable to take input to the Search the web and Windows task bar. I've searched the web, but all I've found was references to killing and restarting Search from the task manager, but there...