Windows 10: Unable to type on Start

Discus and support Unable to type on Start in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have been unable to type on Start or in any Windows search bars ie in Settings since yesterday. The keyboard otherwise is still functional, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by XPXY, Aug 26, 2022.

1. XPXY Win User

Unable to type on Start

I have been unable to type on Start or in any Windows search bars ie in Settings since yesterday. The keyboard otherwise is still functional, so I believe this is a PC problem. I looked up fixes and none of them seem to have solved this for me - one of them suggested running the ctfmon.exe application under C:\Windows\System32 however I would run into an error with the status 0xc0000020 and tried to look a solution for this error up to no avail.Any form of help or solution to any of these problems would be very much appreciated.

:)

2. ksstr Win User

Unable to type text in any of start (search func)

• As mentioned in title, I was unable to type in the start (press start > press any key to search)
    • Unable to type wifi password too (but can paste) > essentially the wifi passcode textbox that popups up from taskbar
    • I have tried many well-known antiviruses, malwarebytes etc. but none could solve the issue
    • I have also tried powershell scripts to fix but it doesn't work either:
      Unable to type on Start [​IMG]

ksstr, Aug 26, 2022
  3. davidhk Win User
    Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

Unable to type on Start [​IMG]

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Aug 26, 2022
  4. ksstr Win User

Unable to type on Start

Unable to type text in start (search function)

• As mentioned in title, I was unable to type in the start (press start > press any key to search)
    • Unable to type wifi password too (but can paste) > essentially the wifi passcode textbox that popups up from taskbar
    • I have tried many well-known antiviruses, malwarebytes etc. but none could solve the issue
    • I have also tried powershell scripts to fix but it doesn't work either:
    ***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

ksstr, Aug 26, 2022
Thema:

Unable to type on Start

1. Unable to type on Start - Similar Threads - Unable type Start

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  4. Unable to type on Start

in Cortana
    Unable to type on Start: I have been unable to type on Start or in any Windows search bars ie in Settings since yesterday. The keyboard otherwise is still functional, so I believe this is a PC problem. I looked up fixes and none of them seem to have solved this for me - one of them suggested running...
  5. Unable to type on Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type on Start: I have been unable to type on Start or in any Windows search bars ie in Settings since yesterday. The keyboard otherwise is still functional, so I believe this is a PC problem. I looked up fixes and none of them seem to have solved this for me - one of them suggested running...
  6. Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Start Menu and Windows Apps: Hello, I am unable to type in the search bar in start menu when I click search icon or when I disable the search icon and type directly to the Start menu. In Mail app I also can not type anything. However, I am typing this question using the exact same laptop, so the...
  7. Unable to type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to type: At times, I am unable to type using my keypad. I am using my touchscreen to type this message. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-type/7cafe86b-9466-4fb2-a0ed-e4703ccc199e
  8. unable to type

unable to type: unable to type at, re installed, and then was ok however has since disabled again unable to type in box https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-type/1532d8e7-960f-4a57-873d-4f8a9cb97ed7
  9. Unable to type

Unable to type: I am unable to type on my computer. I'm working from home and am unable to type a email or anything but this question. It asked me something about shortcuts and I hit yes. Now I'm unable to type anywhere. Please Help...
  10. Unable to type text in any of start (search func)

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to type text in any of start (search func): As mentioned in title, I was unable to type in the start (press start > press any key to search) Unable to type wifi password too (but can paste) > essentially the wifi passcode textbox that popups up from taskbar I have tried many well-known antiviruses, malwarebytes etc....