Windows 10: Unable to type text in any of start (search func)

Discus and support Unable to type text in any of start (search func) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As mentioned in title, I was unable to type in the start (press start > press any key to search) Unable to type wifi password too (but can paste) >... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ksstr, Jun 8, 2017.

1. ksstr Win User

Unable to type text in any of start (search func)

• As mentioned in title, I was unable to type in the start (press start > press any key to search)
    • Unable to type wifi password too (but can paste) > essentially the wifi passcode textbox that popups up from taskbar
    • I have tried many well-known antiviruses, malwarebytes etc. but none could solve the issue
    • I have also tried powershell scripts to fix but it doesn't work either:
      Unable to type text in any of  start (search func) [​IMG]

:)

ksstr, Jun 8, 2017
  2. ksstr Win User

Unable to type text in start (search function)

Hi, in safe boot all functions seem to work fine. do let me revert on the rest of the questions. Thanks

ksstr, Jun 8, 2017
  3. ksstr Win User
    Unable to type text in start (search function)

Hi the problem has been solved by resetting windows. Thanks, you can close the thread now

ksstr, Jun 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Please try creating a new user for test purposes. See if the symptoms are the same.

If they are, this is likely to be a Window issue.
    If not, your user profile is corrupt or something is configured which causes this.

If logging in as a new user makes no difference you can also try a clean boot, and see if there's any change.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  5. ksstr Win User
    -I have latest windows
    -tried file scanner: everything's perfect
    -tried new user: same thing
    -safe boot: typing works
    -clean boot: not sure how thats different from safe boot

ksstr, Jun 11, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, thanks, that's a useful outcome.

Since you see the same thing in a new user, but not in Safe Mode, that tells me it should be possible to identify this by a process of elimination.

I'm not certain what a 'filescanner' is. Do you perhaps mean running
    SFC /SCANNOW
    from an admin command prompt?

In a safe boot fewer items are started compared to a clean boot.
    You can research this for yourself.

So now please try a clean boot and see if the same symptom appears.

You can find out how to do this from the internet, or from the Tutorial section here:
    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    - Part 1.

Note: you may find it helpful as a convenience to set a System Restore point before setting things up for the clean boot, so using the restore point then lets you restore exactly the same state.
    (The same could be achieved by backing up your registry and restoring it).

If you find typing is ok after a clean boot, then you can try enabling all services, checking again, then enable start-ups one by one until the symptom reappears.

dalchina, Jun 11, 2017
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "I have tried many well-known antiviruses, malwarebytes etc. but none could solve the issue"

I had a similar issue a while back. Could not type in any search box, in any browser but could type anywhere else. Ran antimalware, etc, reset browsers, etc. Rather than waste any more time, I did a Repair Install and everything has been fine since. Since you can log into OS, use ISO and Option 4, can keep files intact, will take little over an hr and you'll have a clean system to start over with -
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

mrgeek, Jun 11, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

@mrgeek- there's no need to do such an extensive procedure yet- it seems to be a start-up that is interfering.

As typing is ok in Safe Mode, the repairs provided by this- replacing some registry entries and system files- should not be applicable.

Please let the user try simply identify what is apparently) interfering with Windows. That is a much more trivial procedure.

If that is so, an in-place upgrade repair install will not fix this. Further, to recommend an in-place upgrade repair install at this time means you should determine which build (AU or CU) the user is using. Otherwise you could have them upgrading to the CU.

dalchina, Jun 11, 2017
  9. ksstr Win User
    Hi I have tried clean boot, but it doesn't work either, disabled all non-microsoft services but still cant'type, the
    only way I can type is by running safe boot.

ksstr, Jun 12, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, now the normal clean boot procedure only disables a number of basic items.

It would seem something is starting in a clean boot scenario that is not starting in Safe Mode.
    If you have any idea of changes you made or that occurred before the problem appeared, this will help greatly.

I don't think I've yet asked if you have any System Restore points you can use. That's the first thing to try.

Otherwise:

Please download MS Sysinternals Autoruns (free) and install it. It needs to be run as admin.

This reads the registry and lists every item that starts up, from drivers and context menu entries to programs.

When you run it, you can see a lot of tabs. Each tab is a different class or group of items that start up; you can choose to view Everything, and the startups are listed in those groups.

Before you use this, I strongly recommend you back up your registry.

Now you need to carefully select items to disable.
    Avoid anything related to MS.

You can disable a number of items, and check the effect.

This needs to be done carefully, and will probably take a number of attempts.

dalchina, Jun 12, 2017
  11. ksstr Win User
    Hi, I have tried the sysinternal thing, but turns out I have no idea how to use it
    can't seem to find any suspicious entries hmmm

ksstr, Jun 12, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jun 12, 2017
  13. ksstr Win User

Hi, I tried disabled one by one and end up in blue screen in startup, even in safe mode
    so in the end I have to reset my windows
    its fine now *Think

ksstr, Jun 14, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Ah- maybe you disabled a key MS item. If you are now reinstalling programs, keep checking if the problem returns.

Here's a way to help protect your system and your data, provided you have an image created before the problem occurred:
    Routine use of disk imaging- e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk image sets.
    You can restore your PC if it's unbootable, corrupt, your disk fails...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to type text in any of start (search func) - Similar Threads - Unable type text

2. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  3. Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type in the Start menu to search an app: I cannot search for anything on the start menu or use the search box in the taskbar. No error messages. I tried using the troubleshooter, sfc, and DISM commands as well. But it didn't work....
  4. Unable to type on Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type on Start: I have been unable to type on Start or in any Windows search bars ie in Settings since yesterday. The keyboard otherwise is still functional, so I believe this is a PC problem. I looked up fixes and none of them seem to have solved this for me - one of them suggested running...
  5. Unable to type on Start

in Cortana
    Unable to type on Start: I have been unable to type on Start or in any Windows search bars ie in Settings since yesterday. The keyboard otherwise is still functional, so I believe this is a PC problem. I looked up fixes and none of them seem to have solved this for me - one of them suggested running...
  6. Unable to type on Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Grey highlighted text appearing in my search bars and around any text I type.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Grey highlighted text appearing in my search bars and around any text I type.: Hi there, I'm having a bit of an issue on my Windows 10 computer where any text I type, and any search bars I open, have a small two space wide grey box in them. I have attached pictures to show what I mean, I'm not sure how its happened but it is becoming rather annoying....
  8. start typing to search

in Windows 10 Customization
    start typing to search: hi Microsoft: I like to know that I do not have start typing to search on my start menu in Windows 10 2004 as in here, https://i3g4v6w8.stackpathcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/start-typing-search-windows-10-20h1.jpg. Where can I get that on mine?...
  9. Unable to type into Search Bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to type into Search Bar: Is anybody else experiencing issues of not being able to type into search bar. I tried restarting search as well as resetting it. submitted by /u/ashuraaz23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f26d6q/unable_to_type_into_search_bar/
  10. Unable to type in Search box

in Cortana
    Unable to type in Search box: Hi all, I have an office and 3 of my machines are unable to type in the search box, I've come to the conclusion that it is Cortana as on all 3 machines there is no Cortana to be seen. But other machines in the office have Cortana and are able to search I have tried...