Windows 10: Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Discus and support Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hey All, Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by coolguy9000, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Hey All,

Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which utilizes Bitlocker for encryption.

I went through all of the motions with the C:\ drive to be encrypted and even printed the recovery key. Well, at some point I plugged in a few My Passport USB drives and they became locked by Bitlocker To Go. Everytime I try to unlock or click on these drives it asks for the 48-bit key which I don't have because I never was prompted to encrypt/lock these drives.

Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go [​IMG]

IT says that there are no keys stored on the servers for these USB drives and suggested that this would be a "local" encryption. However, they also stated that they wouldn't be encrypted unless I was prompted about it. So, there's this mystery about how these USB drives came to be locked.

I've been doing some research and the closest I've come is getting some output about the protectors:
    Code: c:\Windows\System32>manage-bde -protectors g: -get BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011 Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Volume G: [Label Unknown] All Key Protectors Numerical Password: ID: {27319850-4EB5-42AC-9BA5-1C0CCB997EE7} External Key: ID: {A4A49BE5-70A4-4388-8B2F-8C13B1CA765C} External Key File Name: A4A49BE5-70A4-4388-8B2F-8C13B1CA765C.BEK[/quote] I've tried to copy the .bek file to another non-encrypted/locked USB but get:

Code: c:\Windows\System32>manage-bde -protectors -add g: -rp f:\key BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011 Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. ERROR Cannot specify multiple volumes c:\Windows\System32>manage-bde -protectors -add g: -rp f:\key\key.txt BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011 Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. ERROR: The operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked.[/quote] I've tried all of the passwords (even blank) I have in an attempt to unlock the drive:

Code: c:\Windows\System32>manage-bde -unlock g: -pw BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011 Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Enter the password to unlock this volume: ERROR: The password failed to unlock volume G:.[/quote] When I search my laptop by either the Numerical or External IDs, I get nothing even with hidden files enabled.

Can anybody provide any recommendations here? I can always provide any additional info. Should I also post in the MS forums?

There's so much data on these drives that I cannot loose.

Regards, Jimmy

:)

coolguy9000, Jul 21, 2016
  2. khhc Win User

SATA drive and USB drives locked

Dear all,

I logged into my Windows 10 Pro and found that my SATA drive and my external USB drives were locked.

This was not done by me, is there anyway to unlock the bitlocker encrypted drives?

3. Paul Lupa Win User
    What does a yellow exclamation mark over the C Drive on a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 in Devices and Drives mean?

Here are the different icon adornments for hard drives that may appear

Adornment
    Meaning

Windows logo (may be combined with other adornments)
    System drive.

Locked padlock
    BitLocker locked: Volume is inaccessible.

Unlocked padlock
    BitLocker on: Drive is encrypted and keys are protected.

Unlocked padlock with yellow warning triangle
    BitLocker is suspended: Drive is encrypted but everyone has access. This icon is also used to indicate the BitLocker is pre-provisioned.

Paul Lupa, Jul 21, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Hi there

assuming the drives aren't encrypted then a Linux Distro should rescue you here.

Boot up any Linux Live CD - Linux Mint is a good one. Plug your USB in - should be recognized as an NTFS / FAT32 drive. Use the built in file manager (If the KDE desktop then DOLPHIN is the file manager - works and looks fairly similar to Windows / File explorer). Copy what you need or delete other stuff you don't need.

I don't think there's Windows fixes for this.

To make a Linux bootable USB stick I recommend download this ISO (Linux mint Rosa 17.3 x-64 KDE)

Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" - KDE (64-bit) - Linux Mint

Then use (on windows) RUFUS to make bootable USB stick.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Boot the USB stick, plug your other stuff in and use DOLPHIN to get your data. Linux reads and writes Windows file formats.

Here's an example of DOLPHIN reading an HP 64GB USB stick that I couldn't access with windows -

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 22, 2016
  5. Thanks, jimbo45.

I already have another laptop running Ubuntu here, but the drive doesn't show up. However, I believe that's because the drive is Bitlocker locked. Unless using a Live CD versus an install makes any difference which I'm confident it won't.

coolguy9000, Jul 23, 2016
  6. Hi,

coolguy9000, have you been able to resolve this issue?
    I am having almost same problem as you are. The only different is I restarted my computer while the encryption was still running.

I do not have any data in the USB do recover.
    Every formatting software i try tells me that the drive is write protected.

Is there how do I format the drive and put it to use again?

Thank you,

hoanggeneral, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

1. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go - Similar Threads - Unable unlock USB

2. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.: Greetings,I have a microSD card with bitlocker that I can unlock with my password and view the files on, but I'm unable to remove the encryption or format the drive. I've tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and I get similar errors. I do NOT need to recover information,...
  3. Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to format or remove encryption on unlocked bitlock drive.: Greetings,I have a microSD card with bitlocker that I can unlock with my password and view the files on, but I'm unable to remove the encryption or format the drive. I've tried on both Windows 10 and Windows 11, and I get similar errors. I do NOT need to recover information,...
  4. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  5. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  6. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?: I suddenly opened my PC and saw that my H drive is locked. I am having trouble to access my account. Please get back to me as soon as possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-locked-drive/04bcd4be-7090-4c17-9233-9dc8cc7c4294
  8. How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?: I suddenly opened my PC and saw that my H drive is locked. I am having trouble to access my account. Please get back to me as soon as possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-locked-drive/04bcd4be-7090-4c17-9233-9dc8cc7c4294
  9. How to unlock hard drive encrypted with BitLocker

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to unlock hard drive encrypted with BitLocker: I don’t remember the password and cannot unlock the hard drive. Can you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-hard-drive-encrypted-with-bitlocker/08678428-f8fd-436f-9512-81369fef0fab
  10. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key: I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a notepad document. The problem I am having is that when I enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock the drive nothing happens. No...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Bitlocker ERROR: The operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked win 10 pro

2. could i use usb protected with bitlocker to booting