Windows 10: Unable to unmount/eject a virtual drive - what is withholding it?

Discus and support Unable to unmount/eject a virtual drive - what is withholding it? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; When unmounting a virtual drive I sometimes get a warning reading as follows " There are currently files opened on N:\: or shell windows from that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by tfwul, May 28, 2020.

1. tfwul Win User

Unable to unmount/eject a virtual drive - what is withholding it?

When unmounting a virtual drive I sometimes get a warning reading as follows " There are currently files opened on N:\: or shell windows from that logical device. If you do not close the files before dismounting from the logical device, data may be lost.Do you want to dismount the device anyway? " I used Process Explorer > Find > Find Handle or DLL Substring, then entered the drive-letter, like X: but there are no hits. Any suggestions what else to use so as to figure out what is withholding ejecting the drive. Note: It is not VHD(X) Thanks. (Windows 10 x64 1909)

:)

tfwul, May 28, 2020
  2. tfwul Win User

When unmounting a virtual drive I sometimes get a warning reading as follows
    "
    There are currently files opened on N:\: or shell windows from that logical device. If you do not close the files before dismounting from the logical device, data may be lost.Do you want to dismount the device anyway?
    "
    I used Process Explorer > Find > Find Handle or DLL Substring, then entered the drive-letter, like X:
    but there are no hits.

Any suggestions what else to use so as to figure out what is withholding ejecting the drive.
    Note: It is not VHD(X)

Thanks.

(Windows 10 x64 1909)

tfwul, May 29, 2020
  3. tfwul Win User

Thanks. I do "File > Exited" all applications. I use a Windows Explorer replacement, Directory Opus and also File->Exited that one. It isn't in the Task Manager list, also not under tab "Details". I also disabled protection (AV software), but still 'some' process seems to access the virtual drive. Don't know of any other tools that may cast some light on this.

tfwul, May 29, 2020
  4. Berton Win User

I occasionally get the same type message with USB Thumb drives and the Safely Eject function, usually the process is being held up by antivirus scanning or File Explorer being open to the drive or files on the drive. Waiting a couple of minutes after closing File Explorer frequently works but in other instances rebooting the computer was necessary. It may help to open Task Manager, right-click File Explorer/Windows Explorer and choose Restart rather than rebooting.

Berton, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Unable to unmount/eject a virtual drive - what is withholding it? - Similar Threads - Unable unmount eject

2. Microsoft Virtual Drive Cannot delete or eject or remove

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Virtual Drive Cannot delete or eject or remove: CDDRIVE K;CCCOMA_X64FRE_EN-US_DV9, I used this virtual drive to upgrade to WIN11 and now I cannot delete it. I have tried everything that I could find, from going to the properties and uninstalling the driver, tried to eject, then I went to disk management and it doesn't even...
  3. Unable to safely eject an Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to safely eject an Drive: Hello, I faced some problems while I was trying to eject a HDD Transcend 25a3.When I tried to eject it, an error message picture below would pop up.I tried to find which program is it via the Event Viewer, and it says:Pid 4 is the system process ntoskrnl.exe so can't kill...
  4. Unable to safely eject an Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to safely eject an Drive: Hello, I faced some problems while I was trying to eject a HDD Transcend 25a3.When I tried to eject it, an error message picture below would pop up.I tried to find which program is it via the Event Viewer, and it says:Pid 4 is the system process ntoskrnl.exe so can't kill...
  5. Unable to safely eject an Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to eject usb hard drive: When trying to eject usb mass storage device it is showing that it is in use by other applications. But after disconnected from internet hard drive easily can be ejected. Is there any web related serious issue ?like Ransomware or anything?I have quickheal antivirus...
  7. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to eject usb hard drive: When trying to eject usb mass storage device it is showing that it is in use by other applications. But after disconnected from internet hard drive easily can be ejected. Is there any web related serious issue ?like Ransomware or anything?I have quickheal antivirus...
  8. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. remount usb after eject/unmount?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    remount usb after eject/unmount?: My password manager lives entirely on a USB stick attached to my laptop no main drive installation, no cloud. When I'm on a public WiFi network, I use VPN with kill switch, and eject the USB as soon as I'm done with passwords. The question is, if the USB is still in the...
  10. Unable to eject external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to eject external hard drive: My new computer came with a previous version of windows 10 home a couple weeks ago. I had to download the newer version of Windows 10 in order to use the newest versions of Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Not long after downloading this I started to notice that I was unable...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error will unmount virtual drive