Windows 10: Unable to update or manage Windows Defender

Discus and support Unable to update or manage Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; For the past few months, I've repeatedly been unable to update Windows Defender or run any virus scans on my own. After selecting Virus & Threat... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ToddMoss1, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ToddMoss1 Win User

Unable to update or manage Windows Defender

For the past few months, I've repeatedly been unable to update Windows Defender or run any virus scans on my own. After selecting Virus & Threat Protection, I receive the same "your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization". This a privately owned PC and I'm the administrator so what it going on? I just completed several hours upgrading to Version 1809 today with no change in my situation with Windows Defender. I'm very concerned about whether my PC is actually protected. Can anyone offer any ideas?

:)

ToddMoss1, Jan 21, 2019
  2. jsfitz54 Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Jan 21, 2019
  3. davidhk Win User
    Windows Defender disabled and is unable to start

OK. I am not sure if you can complete the steps below.......................
    In the search box, type services.msc > Enter
    Items in the Services box are listed alphabetically.
    Scroll down to Windows Defender Service...........................
    at Status heading, it should be.................................... Running
    at Startup type, it should be......................................... Automatic

Unable to update or manage Windows Defender [​IMG]

If that is not what yours said, right click at Windows Defender Service > click Properties >
    can you change the Startup type to Automatic and Service status to Start ?
    If yes, do so and click OK when done.

davidhk, Jan 21, 2019
  4. Unable to update or manage Windows Defender

Unable to turn off Windows Defender

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per description, you are unable to turn off windows defender.

I suggest you try restarting Windows Defender service and check if issue is resolved. To do so kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X key and type services.msc,
      hit enter.
    • Search Windows Defender Service.:1) Windows Defender Service ; 2)
      Windows Defender Network.
    • Right click on each and press Start.
    • Restart your computer and check if issue persist.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Ashish Sondhi, Jan 21, 2019
Thema:

Unable to update or manage Windows Defender

1. Unable to update or manage Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Unable update manage

2. microsoft windows defender unable to update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    microsoft windows defender unable to update: my pc runs 8.1 with windows 10 up grade installed. Im not concerned of no update for chrome. I use duck duck go. to day I ran my windows defender and it ran a little the says unable to update definitions .Ill keep trying it but should I uninstall and reinstall.?...
  3. microsoft windows defender unable to update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    microsoft windows defender unable to update: my pc runs 8.1 with windows 10 up grade installed. Im not concerned of no update for chrome. I use duck duck go. to day I ran my windows defender and it ran a little the says unable to update definitions .Ill keep trying it but should I uninstall and reinstall.?...
  4. unable to update defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to update defender: hi,we are having issues in updating defender https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unable-to-update-defender/d0a114d9-f60e-40ee-92fe-75b9cf69ff84
  5. Unable to update the window defender for servers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to update the window defender for servers: I tried all three approaches for updating the defender. However none of them works.... can someone provide me with some help https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-for-microsoft-defender-antimalware-platform-92e21611-8cf1-8e0e-56d6-561a07d144cc...
  6. Windows defender unable to update

Windows defender unable to update: Hi everone i am using windows 10 profession and dell 7510 core i7 laptop i am trying to upgrade defender it shows pending to install but automaticall it closes it is unable install is there anyother way...
  7. Windows Defender unable to download updates.

Windows Defender unable to download updates.: When trying to update in Windows Defender receive message to contact Help and Support. Error Code 2145124330. I have Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-unable-to-download-updates/3f06b7b7-ab58-4360-9869-e729ba862226
  8. Unable to update windows, unable to start windows defender.

Unable to update windows, unable to start windows defender.: So here is the story. My computer was infected with a virus. It disabled my ability update windows or use windows defender. I installed Malware bytes and was able to remove the virus. The problem is I still can't update windows or use defender. I have read so many fix actions...
  9. Unable to Update Windows Defender

Unable to Update Windows Defender: virus and spyware definitions cannot be updated [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-protectwindows8_1/unable-to-update-windows-defender/282e8f47-0f3d-4a97-a90c-0b9d024a0b35
  10. Unable to update windows defender

Unable to update windows defender: Unable to update Windows defender. Kept coming up with the message Erro Code 0x80004004 'The definition updates could not be installed Any suggestions please...