Windows 10: Unable to update time via Internet

Discus and support Unable to update time via Internet in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is a follow up to the previous thread with the same title, now locked. I had replied to @lukpac that my workaround was to use a VPN to tunnel past... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MJPatterson, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Unable to update time via Internet

This is a follow up to the previous thread with the same title, now locked. I had replied to @lukpac that my workaround was to use a VPN to tunnel past my ISP firewall and link to the time servers.

Subsequent experiments have shown that the VPN tunneling was bypassing my router's firewall, not the ISP firewall. I had Google Mesh and it was blocking the time server port, UPD123. I got a Synology router that was easier to configure and opened that port for internet time sync and now it works fine.

So, if you are getting "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with [server name]. This operation returned because the timeout period expired." try opening UDP port 123 on your router firewall.

:)

MJPatterson, Sep 19, 2020
  2. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond Unable to update time via Internet :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Sep 19, 2020
  3. Unable to access internet

Original Title: Internet access

Hi Greg,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10. I understand the frustration to wait for something and it is taking a long time.

I would suggest you to perform an Internet troubleshooter by following the steps below.

• Click on start and type ‘troubleshooting’ and press enter.
    • Click on ‘View all’ on top left corner.
    • Select ‘Internet Connections’ in the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Also, check if the issue persists by connecting to a different network.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write is back for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 19, 2020
  4. Unable to update time via Internet

Unable to sync Windows 10 time with time servers

I have a new, OEM installation of Windows 10 that is unable to contact any time servers to sync the system time. Each attempt gives me a timeout error, and pinging the time server times out as well. Here is what I've tried:

• Checked that the Windows Time service is running and set to automatic startup, and restarted it
    • Disabled my firewall
    • Tried using time.nist.gov, which is currently working according to NIST
    • These steps using w32time, which appeared to succeed but didn't update the time

The time is currently off by 7 hours, which shouldn't be far enough to break Internet syncing.

EDIT: Just tried the same steps on my other computer which boots only Windows (albeit an longer-standing installation of 10), and had the exact same issue, except when I try syncing it simply says "An error occurred when Windows was synchronizing with time.nist.gov." So I highly doubt it is dual boot-related. What is going on?

David Pitchford, Sep 19, 2020
Thema:

Unable to update time via Internet

1. Unable to update time via Internet - Similar Threads - Unable update via

2. Blocked internet via Edge update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blocked internet via Edge update: HelloIm having a problem with internet Connection. After Microsoft Edge update And Chrome update that happened exactly on the same day And same time i cannot access internet… it appears to be a nasty virus. However non of the antivirus software are manage to find affected...
  3. Blocked internet via Edge update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocked internet via Edge update: HelloIm having a problem with internet Connection. After Microsoft Edge update And Chrome update that happened exactly on the same day And same time i cannot access internet… it appears to be a nasty virus. However non of the antivirus software are manage to find affected...
  4. Blocked internet via Edge update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Unable to Connect to Internet at Specific Time of Day

Unable to Connect to Internet at Specific Time of Day: Happy Monday, I'm pretty perplexed. The problem: One of our users loses internet access around 4pm CST. The first occurrence was Friday, and it happened again today Monday. Before ~4pm, everything is fine. The issue lasts at least 60 minutes but the exact length is...
  6. Unable to Update Windows via Automatic Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to Update Windows via Automatic Update: Hi, I am not able to update my Windows 10 Pro since the last version 1809. I can recall that the update was working before. I have tried to use Troubleshoot but it couldn't fix the issue. I have also downloaded and ran Windows 10 Update Assistant but right after it...
  7. Unable to update time via Internet

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to update time via Internet: Today I happened to notice that my PC was a couple of minutes off, and that it hadn't synchronized time in a few months. I tried to manually synchronize, but it does not work. I have tried the following servers: time.windows.com pool.ntp.org time.nist.gov time-a.nist.gov...
  8. Unable to access the internet via Google homepage

Unable to access the internet via Google homepage: I have been unable to access any person or company online for 3 days following yet another update from Windows! Is there anything I can do to put this right? I need to shop on line being partially disabled and these constant updates always upset my PC. I don't use a smart...
  9. Unable to connect to the Internet via Ethernet Cable

Unable to connect to the Internet via Ethernet Cable: Thank you very much all, especially Samuria. I only needed to make use of "netsh winsock reset catalog" and it worked!
  10. Internet Time not updating to correct time

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Time not updating to correct time: Date and Time Settings are set to "Set time automatically", But after any reboot, Windows 10 displays the incorrect time. When I go to the Date and Time Settings configuration and toggle the "Set time automatically" setting off then on again, the time changes to the correct...