Windows 10: Unable to update Windows 10 and can't install update on external hard drive :

Discus and support Unable to update Windows 10 and can't install update on external hard drive : in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi,I’m unable to update Windows 10 because of a lack of space on C drive and I can't install update on external hard drive. I’ve moved everything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jeff3399, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Jeff3399 Win User

Unable to update Windows 10 and can't install update on external hard drive :

Hi,I’m unable to update Windows 10 because of a lack of space on C drive and I can't install update on external hard drive. I’ve moved everything possible from C drive to my D drive. I’ve uninstall many things from my C drive and still I have only 1 GO free on the C drive.My D drive is half full with plenty of space and I have two external hard drives, one of them empty with 232 GO of space. I do not understand how come I’m unable to download the Windows 10 update to any of my others drives with plenty of space. Windows Update just tells me again and again to make room on driver C without any

:)

Jeff3399, Jun 19, 2021

2. External hard drive not suppoted after anniversary update windows 10

To isolate the issue, we suggest that you perform the following steps below:

• Connect the external hard drive to the different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Use different external hard drive to connect to the same port and check if same issue happens.

If the same issue happens after using different external hard drive to different ports, try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problem and make sure that any new devices or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly. Here's how:

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

After that, follow the steps on how to Install and Update drivers
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Acelyn Alc, Jun 19, 2021
  3. Can't install update on external hard drive?

Thank you for that information Laura.

Since the Update Assistant is still not offering the option to install updates in external drive, I suggest that you create a bootable media using a USB flash drive and another one where we will install the updates. See

Create Windows 10 installation media
    and follow the steps under "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file)" to learn how.

Afterwards, follow the steps below on how to install updates :

• Connect both the USB flash drive with Windows 10 installation files
      and the other empty USB flash drive.
    • Double-click the Setup.exe file to launch the Windows 10 installation from the USB flash drive.
    • Select the Keep personal files and apps option to update your computer.
    • If you get the "Windows needs more space" option, click the
      Choose another drive
      or attach an external drive with 10GB available link.
    • Click Install
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process as necessary.

We appreciate your patience Laura. Don't hesitate to post back if you need more help.

Israel Arn, Jun 19, 2021
  4. Unable to update Windows 10 and can't install update on external hard drive :

Unable to access external hard drive after Anniversay Update on Windows 10

Hello,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to contact the device manufacturer's website, download the latest chipset drivers, install them manually and check if it helps.

Installing the latest chipset drivers will help you to install the drivers for USB ports.

Refer to the article by Andre Da Costa to install drivers in compatibility mode manually :
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of accessing external hard drive for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 19, 2021
Thema:

Unable to update Windows 10 and can't install update on external hard drive :

1. Unable to update Windows 10 and can't install update on external hard drive : - Similar Threads - Unable update can't

2. Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...: I recently replaced the enclosure on an external hard drive, device connected and drivers were installed. But I cannot find the drive under "This PC". Attempted to run device troubleshooter but the troubleshooter has been retired. Included is a screen shot of the drive listed...
  3. Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...: I recently replaced the enclosure on an external hard drive, device connected and drivers were installed. But I cannot find the drive under "This PC". Attempted to run device troubleshooter but the troubleshooter has been retired. Included is a screen shot of the drive listed...
  4. Unable to access data on external hard drive; connected, drivers updated, but unable to...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Windows 10 with External Hard Drive: Hello, I have been getting alerts on my Laptop about me needing to free up space. 32GB I can't really do that so, the computer said I could buy an External Hard Drive. I went and bought myself a 2TB for the update and some game files, etc. I remembered when I downloaded game...
  6. Windows updates and external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows updates and external hard drive: Does windows updates have an effect on external hard drives? I recently encounter an issue with my hard drive, my laptop randomly stopped detecting my external hard drive and it crashed my windows explorer. I tried to find a solution but I had no luck. I stopped trying to fix...
  7. Problem in attaching external hard drive to install windows 10 update

Problem in attaching external hard drive to install windows 10 update: I have tried everything, including the suggestions given by Microsoft, but despite plugging in a 120GB portable drive to help the download process, I am not given the option to use a portable drive. The upgrade tool simply shows the same error message as the update message,...
  8. cant install updates to external hard drive

cant install updates to external hard drive: cant install windows update to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-updates-to-external-hard-drive/fa9aa461-3774-4b8a-8776-a0a3f5459814
  9. Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update

Lost external hard drive during windows 10 update: I have just recently had to get a new laptop because the motherboard in my previous laptop died unexpectedly. I was able to connect to my old hard drive until there was an issue with my Windows 10. I had a Microsoft agent check my system and he determined that i need to to...
  10. Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized

Win 10 update - external hard drive unrecognized: Hello, I hope someone can help me. Microsoft just updated the Win 10 installation on my main computer and now my WD My Passport 4TB hard drive is not recognized. It shows as "Local Disk (H*Smile" in Windows Explorer, and in Disk Management it shows as being empty and the file...