Windows 10: Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help

Discus and support Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 7 need SP1 to update from Get Windows 10. Otherwise, you can download the ISO from here that doesn't have this requirement. The same with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hgroth, Nov 15, 2015.

1. hgroth Win User

Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help

Can I upgrade Windows 7 with the ISO and keep all installed programs?
    My Win 7 install is up to date with all available updates

hgroth, Nov 15, 2015
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

Yes. Either use a program like UltraISO to mount the ISO file in the OS and you will get a drive letter like a DVD, run setup.exe from the drive letter that appears.

Or burn an actual USB or DVD from the ISO, insert the USB or DVD with Windows 7 running, like you were going to play a movie or copy a file. Run setup.exe from it while inside Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Nov 15, 2015
  3. hgroth Win User
    Are you sure this will bypass the upgrade problem if I run it from within Windows 7

hgroth, Nov 16, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

No, I am not sure if the upgrade will be successful. I was only answering the last question:

Yes, you can.

NavyLCDR, Nov 16, 2015
  5. hgroth Win User
    I think it will give the same upgrade error if I run it in Windows7

hgroth, Nov 16, 2015
  6. hgroth Win User
    I installed the same driver in Windows 7 that I have in Windows 8.1 where I have no issue with the CPU but since its a virtual drive
    installation I cannot upgrade to Windows 10. It is still not working and now I discovered another issue when I tried to just do a
    clean installation, I cannot boot from my DVD drive, it does not load the Windows 10 ISO and the drive works without any problem when
    I am booted into Windows I can start the installation from DVD but it stops again due to the CPU issue. What can I do now?

hgroth, Nov 18, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    Check your BIOS if you boot in UEFI or Legacy mode. If there is an option set it to "UEFI first" (so if no bootable media found will then try legacy mode), otherwise try setting that to Legacy. Some DVD don't like UEFI, they boot only on Legacy mode.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  8. hgroth Win User

Thank you for the advise. It used to work before and I didn't make any changes knowingly. Where do I find this
    setting in the BIOS? I got an older Abit AW9D motherboard

thanks

hgroth, Nov 18, 2015
  9. hgroth Win User
    Thank you for the advise. It used to work before and I didn't make any changes knowingly. Where do I find this
    setting in the BIOS? I got an older Abit AW9D motherboard. I selected the DVD as 1 boot drive and when I try
    to boot it asks if I want to boot from CD/DVD but then the drive will not spin and there is no activity

thanks

hgroth, Nov 18, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    If the motherboard is old, it doesn't support UEFI, only legacy mode. If you choose to boot from DVD, and you have a bootable Windows disk inside, it should give you a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" and counting a few seconds before it starts from hard disk. If you see the prompt, press ENTER to start from DVD.

spapakons, Nov 18, 2015
  11. hgroth Win User
    Yes exactly it does and then I hit any key to continue but the DVD does not spin up or do
    anything. It continue to boot to windows and then I can use the drive normally.

hgroth, Nov 19, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    Then your DVD device might have a problem. Try replacing it.

spapakons, Nov 19, 2015
  13. hgroth Win User

But when I boot into Windows, the DVD works great

hgroth, Nov 19, 2015
  14. spapakons Win User
    Try to update the BIOS to improve compatibility.

I also have seen some old motherboards that support booting from a CD-ROM but not from a DVD-ROM. When in Windows the DVD works fine. If this is your case, you can download Plop boot CD and burn on CD-ROM. This will display a custom boot menu which can access all your devices. First thing to try is to replace the Plop with the Windows 10 DVD and select to boot from DVD. If this doesn't work, create a bootable USB and use Plop to boot from it.

spapakons, Nov 19, 2015
  15. hgroth Win User
    But this DVD was working without any problem til a few month ago and I could boot from it

hgroth, Nov 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help - Similar Threads - Unable upgrade please

2. Unable to Login PLEASE HELP !

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to Login PLEASE HELP !: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/9NAAGRAAJ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ktn1qi/unable_to_login_please_help/
  3. PLEASE HELP Unable to sign in to Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PLEASE HELP Unable to sign in to Windows 10: Recently ive made an update to my pc. It told me that it would sign me out of my pc. It says i need to put my microsoft password in. I did it and now the screen talks about windows hello pin. If i click next, it will says please retry and if i press “skip” it takes me back to...
  4. Upgrading and need help please.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Upgrading and need help please.: Hello everyone. I'm sorry for my bad English. I bought a PC about 4 years ago and I am now looking to upgrade my graphic card. I have a $300 budget and i'm looking to get a good bang for my buck and compatible with my current set up. My system Specs : CPS - Intel(R) Core(TM)...
  5. Audio Issue after upgrading to Windows 10. Please Help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Issue after upgrading to Windows 10. Please Help.: Post-installation, I noticed that the bass in a lot of the music I hear seems to feel 'empty', like there's no presence. This is more noticeable the lower the 808 note. Even messing around with the Equalizer and increasing the lower frequencies creates overwhelming bass....
  6. Unable to recover windows 10 please help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to recover windows 10 please help: I recently purchased my new computer which is the MSI Trident 3 running Windows 10. This was a used computer so when we went to perform a reset Windows 10 somehow got corrupted and now I’m stuck on the error Recovery, file Windows\system32\winload.efi missing or corrupted....
  7. Please Help! Lots of issues since upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Please Help! Lots of issues since upgrade to Windows 10: Hi All I am hoping that somebody might be able to help. I bought my laptop in June so practically a brand new pc, and it worked absolutely fine in Win 8.1. I upgraded it to Win 10 a couple of days ago and it has since got practically unusable! Here is a summary of the...
  8. Need Help With Windows Upgrade please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need Help With Windows Upgrade please: I have Windows 10 Pro build 240 installed (and activated) currently, but I want to update to (at minimum) the November Update, currently my start menu is 'broken' because after upgrading from Win 7 I had 512+ shortcuts I have a single (500GB) Hard disk which has been...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade, help please

Windows 10 upgrade, help please: Finally decided that i want to upgrade to windows 10, clicked the upgrade now button and the window just closed after about a second, tried this many times and nothing happened. Ran windows update, clicked the upgrade now button again and it just sticks on starting download.....
  10. Tried everything to upgrade to Windows 10 but in vain. Please help.

Tried everything to upgrade to Windows 10 but in vain. Please help.: Hello, I would like to know if i can cancel my reservation from the Get Windows 10 app so that i don't get the prompt every now and then and then upgrade from a bootable media later on? I've tried all possible solution out there to upgrade my windows 8.1 to 10 but...