Windows 10: Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help

Discus and support Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; You can try to load default settings in BIOS, just in case some setting is the problem. Before doing take a note of the hard disk configuration (AHCI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hgroth, Nov 15, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help

You can try to load default settings in BIOS, just in case some setting is the problem. Before doing take a note of the hard disk configuration (AHCI or IDE) so you can set it again, otherwise Windows won't boot. Also I would try upgrading the BIOS to improve compatibility.

spapakons, Nov 19, 2015
  2. hgroth Win User

I have an old Abit AW9D motherboard and Abit has been out of business for many years. The DVD works
    flawless read and write when running in Windows, but is it possible it is defective since I cannot boot from
    it any longer?

hgroth, Nov 19, 2015
  3. spapakons Win User
    Have you tried the DVD disc in another computer? Are you sure it is bootable? Download the ISO directly from Microsoft Tech Bench create a new DVD just in case. I hope that you OPEN the ISO in Nero or other application, not create a DVD with the ISO as a file, it won't work!

spapakons, Nov 19, 2015
  4. hgroth Win User

Yes the DVD boots fine in another PC and I tried other known good bootable DVDs and
    it will not boot in my Abit AW9D

hgroth, Nov 19, 2015
  5. spapakons Win User
    Then it may be a BIOS incompatibility. Try booting from the Plop Boot CD and then swap it with Windows 10 DVD and select booting from DVD device. If this still doesn't work, create a USB Flash drive from Windows 10 ISO and use Plop Boot CD to boot from it.

spapakons, Nov 19, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Try booting a Win 7 or 8/8.1 install DVD, see if that works. If yes then the DVD is good and the problem is either the ISO you downloaded or the way you burned the Win 10 DVD.

Note to self: Read the entire thread before responding!!!!! Sorry.

Ztruker, Nov 20, 2015
  7. hgroth Win User
    I tried to reset the BIOS by selecting the fail safe settings and the selected the CD Rom as 1st boot device.
    Thats how it worked before. I have a SATA DVD and HDD installed. I created the Plop boot CD and it will
    boot into that CD without any problem, but I cannot select any of the boot options that I get after booting
    with Plop Boot manager. Is it possible that the BIOS is corrupted since I cannot boot from CD/DVD?

hgroth, Nov 22, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

Last thing to try is update to newer BIOS. If no new official version is available, try the last Beta version. Or try flashing the same version if you already have the last. It should fix any problems if BIOS is indeed corrupt.

spapakons, Nov 22, 2015
  9. hgroth Win User
    How can I make sure the DVD is bootable? I burned the image with Nero2016 and it will not boot. The computer recognizes the inserted DVD and after it asks to boot from DVD and I hit yes, it continues to boot into windows. I tried a Linux boot disk and it boots to Linux without doing anything. When I put the Windows disk into another PC, I can boot to it.

hgroth, Nov 23, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Then some incompatibility in your BIOS doesn't allow you to boot from this DVD. Possible explanation, your BIOS supports boot from legacy ISO 9660 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM but not from newer format UDF DVDs. I am not sure, but maybe Windows 10 DVD is formatted in UDF and hence doesn't boot. Try creating a bootable USB Flash drive to install Windows 10. If your BIOS doesn't support booting from USB, you can use Plop Boot CD to get this option.

spapakons, Nov 23, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Try burning the DVD with Imgburn.

Ztruker, Nov 24, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    If you use Nero, you must OPEN the ISO and burn the image on the disk. Do not import the ISO file in a data DVD, it won't work!

spapakons, Nov 24, 2015
  13. hgroth Win User

I selected the img file, right click, then burn to disk with Nero

hgroth, Nov 24, 2015
  14. spapakons Win User
    Either way, in any application, you must OPEN the ISO to burn the image contents on DVD. Do not just put the ISO file on the disk, it doesn't work that way.

spapakons, Nov 24, 2015
  15. hgroth Win User
    Of course this function opens the img file and everything is on the DVD and is readable. I don't know of any other way to burn an image to disk using Nero.

hgroth, Nov 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Unable to upgrade to Windows 10, please help - Similar Threads - Unable upgrade please

2. Unable to Login PLEASE HELP !

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to Login PLEASE HELP !: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/9NAAGRAAJ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ktn1qi/unable_to_login_please_help/
  3. PLEASE HELP Unable to sign in to Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    PLEASE HELP Unable to sign in to Windows 10: Recently ive made an update to my pc. It told me that it would sign me out of my pc. It says i need to put my microsoft password in. I did it and now the screen talks about windows hello pin. If i click next, it will says please retry and if i press “skip” it takes me back to...
  4. Upgrading and need help please.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Upgrading and need help please.: Hello everyone. I'm sorry for my bad English. I bought a PC about 4 years ago and I am now looking to upgrade my graphic card. I have a $300 budget and i'm looking to get a good bang for my buck and compatible with my current set up. My system Specs : CPS - Intel(R) Core(TM)...
  5. Audio Issue after upgrading to Windows 10. Please Help.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Issue after upgrading to Windows 10. Please Help.: Post-installation, I noticed that the bass in a lot of the music I hear seems to feel 'empty', like there's no presence. This is more noticeable the lower the 808 note. Even messing around with the Equalizer and increasing the lower frequencies creates overwhelming bass....
  6. Unable to recover windows 10 please help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to recover windows 10 please help: I recently purchased my new computer which is the MSI Trident 3 running Windows 10. This was a used computer so when we went to perform a reset Windows 10 somehow got corrupted and now I’m stuck on the error Recovery, file Windows\system32\winload.efi missing or corrupted....
  7. Please Help! Lots of issues since upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Please Help! Lots of issues since upgrade to Windows 10: Hi All I am hoping that somebody might be able to help. I bought my laptop in June so practically a brand new pc, and it worked absolutely fine in Win 8.1. I upgraded it to Win 10 a couple of days ago and it has since got practically unusable! Here is a summary of the...
  8. Need Help With Windows Upgrade please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need Help With Windows Upgrade please: I have Windows 10 Pro build 240 installed (and activated) currently, but I want to update to (at minimum) the November Update, currently my start menu is 'broken' because after upgrading from Win 7 I had 512+ shortcuts I have a single (500GB) Hard disk which has been...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade, help please

Windows 10 upgrade, help please: Finally decided that i want to upgrade to windows 10, clicked the upgrade now button and the window just closed after about a second, tried this many times and nothing happened. Ran windows update, clicked the upgrade now button again and it just sticks on starting download.....
  10. Tried everything to upgrade to Windows 10 but in vain. Please help.

Tried everything to upgrade to Windows 10 but in vain. Please help.: Hello, I would like to know if i can cancel my reservation from the Get Windows 10 app so that i don't get the prompt every now and then and then upgrade from a bootable media later on? I've tried all possible solution out there to upgrade my windows 8.1 to 10 but...