Windows 10: Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys

Discus and support Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys router. I use a EA 7500 Linksys router with a windows 10 32-bit computer. Until... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by khl, Mar 6, 2019.

1. KHL
    khl Win User

Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys

Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys router.

I use a EA 7500 Linksys router with a windows 10 32-bit computer.

Until today, I was able to use a USB memory stick connected to the router as a network drive. However, when I tried swtching USB sticks, I could no longer use the memory stick as a network drive.

Here are the steps that I've taken: refreshed the USB stick in Linksys smart wifi, reset network discovery in Windows 10, tried using different USB ports on the router, reset and power cycled the router, and restarted the Windows 10 PC, tried refreshing router firmware. None of those steps made any difference.

The problem seems unsolvable, but there are hints from Linksys support that this is a known problem, and Linksys and Microsoft are passing the blame back and forth.

I got this response back from a Linksys support chat: "Linksys router feature request to update SMB to version 2, Win10 developers update changed SMB v1 to SMB v2.Precious Joy L: And we're aware of this issue."

The support chat person directed me to a Microsoft support page (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709) claiming there was a solution there. I looked, and there was no solution.

If it helps, I got a case number of 10843700. However, the support people I contacted seemed to not understand the problem, and said I should contact Microsoft. Of cource, when Microsoft was contacted, they said if was a Linksys problem.

When I tried accessing the memory stick through an address, I got this error "windows can not access \\192.168.1.1"

I tried the steps at "https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=136742" That didn't work.

So I've tried several steps though Linksys support and given support reps detailed information, and nothing has worked and no one has been able to help.

What should I do next?

:)

2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 6, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Problem with usb port and old memory stick

Hello Steve,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with your issue.

• Does the issue occur when u try with different USB drive?
    • Did you install all the pending Windows update?

I suggest you to first try and check with different USB Memory stick and check if the same issue occurs. Also try using your current USB memory stick in different USB port and check. Also install all the pending Windows
    updates and check. You can also try using the Memory stick on another system and check if its working fine.

For now, you can try updating the drivers of the Memory Stick and check if it helps:

Follow the steps to update drivers from the Device Manager:

1. Right click on
    Start button, select Device Manager andEnter.

2. Find the drivers which needs to be installed and also see if there are any warning symbols. If yes update the drivers.

3. Right click on the Memory stich device and click on
    Update driver.

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Mar 6, 2019
  4. Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys

Cannot get Win10 to recognize a 128g usb memory stick.

Hello Brad,

To assist you with your concern, please answer the following:

• Which device are you using?
    • Are you receiving any error message when you're trying to connect your USB Memory Stick?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

Looking forward to your response.

Michael Rey, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys

1. Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys - Similar Threads - Unable USB memory

2. “USB memory stick."

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    “USB memory stick.": I wanted to look into what I called, “USB memory sticks among other things and came up with the following term. “A small electronic device used to store digital data, more portable and robust than a hard drive.” Knowing nothing about them I have always bought inexpensive ones...
  3. “USB memory stick."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    “USB memory stick.": I wanted to look into what I called, “USB memory sticks among other things and came up with the following term. “A small electronic device used to store digital data, more portable and robust than a hard drive.” Knowing nothing about them I have always bought inexpensive ones...
  4. “USB memory stick."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Failed USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed USB memory stick: Hi, I am having a problem with my USB memory stick, it says it doesn't have any storage, yet it does, and it has data on there, it's not like it's CD-ROM drive. I even have proof from a recovery attempt on a Linux VM....
  6. reconnect USB stick as a network drive

reconnect USB stick as a network drive: Hi,a USB stick on my FritzBox7582 shall be connected automatically as a network drive after starting Win10. When I connect it manually it works. But it is tedious to do this every time manually.In the forum I found several tips but none of them worked.I tried:1 use different...
  7. Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 - Unable to map network drive USB drive attached to Linksys...

Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 - Unable to map network drive USB drive attached to Linksys...: Help Please!!!Why is my PC running ...Windows 10 ProVersion 20H2Installed on ‎7/‎21/‎2021OS build 19042.1165Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0Unable to see the USB Drive attached to my Linksys EA9300 Max-Stream AC4000 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router? This is...
  8. Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys router.

Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys router.: Unable to use a USB memory stick as a network drive through a Linksys router. I use a EA 7500 Linksys router with a windows 10 32-bit computer. Until today, I was able to use a USB memory stick connected to the router as a network drive. However, when I tried swtching USB...
  9. Using a memory stick.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Using a memory stick.: I have purchased a memory stick to put my photos and music on. My photos are ok but my music is trying to play through Windows Media and as I am on Windows 10 + Groove. I cannot get it to play on groove. Any help would oblige....
  10. Cloning to USB memory stick

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning to USB memory stick: Partition Wizard is bootable from usb and allows the cloning of hard drives. Can I clone a ssd to USB memory stick and clone the USB back to the hard drive as a precaution against ssd failure? 117190