Windows 10: Unable to use DVD drive

Discus and support Unable to use DVD drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a HP notebook 15ay082nr that I was given last October and the dvd drive worked, it just needed to be reset to default to delete previous owner... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KristinCade, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Unable to use DVD drive

I have a HP notebook 15ay082nr that I was given last October and the dvd drive worked, it just needed to be reset to default to delete previous owner info. Well I did that the same day I got it...and now i have a few issues but mainly it's my dvd drive. It wont open by pushing the button, (have to use the paperclip) it sounds kinda grindy-ish, nothing will play in it, wont burn..just completely inoperable. I have windows 10 installed, which is what I think the problem was, considering when I looked up info on this pc, it said it came from the store with windows 8. So I'm guessing when I reset and installed from hp.com, I got the windows 10 update. I guess?? Its out of warranty and I cant afford a customer service call...can anyone out there in Cyberland help me?

***Modified title from: Dvd drive***

:)

KristinCade, Jul 2, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Dvd drive not showing

Is this the HP 15r014tx in your system specs? If so, try the steps in this thread....
    https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...r/td-p/6186456

It may be that your DVD drive has a hardware failure (as was suggested in that thread).

More HP support and diagnosis suggestions here in their Help pages....
    HP PCs - CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

Bree, Jul 2, 2019
  3. C_C
    c_C Win User
    DVD Drive issues.

The games used to run, now apparently the disks don't even read.

Go to Device Manager and remove the DVD
    Scan for hardware changes and update driver as OS suggests

Still not working?

1) Clean the heads.
    2) Run a diagnostic program on the drive.

Nothing else has changed about your system aside from the OS?

Revert to XP Home, assuming you don't find the source of the problem in steps above.

4. Unable to use DVD drive

DVD RW Drive

Hi Julia,

Welcome and thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are having a tough time working on the computer.

Please provide us the following information:

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• What is the exact\complete error message?
    Step 1: Try updating the DVD\CD-ROM drives from device manager.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device Manager
    • Expand DVD\CD-ROM drives .

• Right click on the driver and select
      Update Driver Software.

• Restart the computer.
    Step 2: I suggest you to check and install if there is any latest firmware update for DVD drive from the computer manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Do update us with the details, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Jul 2, 2019
Thema:

Unable to use DVD drive

1. Unable to use DVD drive - Similar Threads - Unable DVD drive

2. dvd drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    dvd drives: Windows 11 does not recognize my ASUS DVD drives called ASUS and they stated that the DVDs I have is plug and play with windows11 where can I get the proper drivers to fix this problem?...
  3. Unable to burn/copy files to DVD using an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to burn/copy files to DVD using an external drive: I have been trying for days to copy photos from my laptop to a DVD and have had no success and keep having the same problem.Please can someone help? I am not technically minded at all, especially when it comes to computers but this should be an easy thing to do, surely? Move...
  4. Using an external DVD drive with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using an external DVD drive with Windows 10: ,I am a long time Windows user who changed over to Mac Pro for a while and now I am back to Microsoft, having recently purchased a Surface Pro. I was annoyed that Microsoft removed a DVD player/writer as standard equipment in the Surface unit. I tried purchasing several...
  5. Unable to Share DVD Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to Share DVD Drives: I set up a private home network last week between two desktop computers, and all of my selected folders have been shared successfully between the two, however both computers will not allow me access to the other's DVD drive. Everything with with them has been set up exactly...
  6. Unable to use subtitles in Windows DVD player

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to use subtitles in Windows DVD player: I purchased Windows DVD player from the app store and it plays DVDs well. The only thing is that I can't get it to display the subtitles embedded in my DVDs. I click on the little subtitles icon at the bottom left of the main DVD player screen when a DVD is playing and...
  7. DVD Drive Unable to Read Discs

DVD Drive Unable to Read Discs: My DVD drive can't read any discs at all. Whenever I try to open the disc, it returns this error: [ATTACH] I've tried Methods 3 and 6 listed here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs, but it...
  8. DVD drive

DVD drive: DVD no longer plays movies, it keeps asking to insert disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive/5709fd73-ed10-4786-922f-af9a7b620797
  9. Dvd drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dvd drive: I have a HP notebook 15ay082nr that I was given last October and the dvd drive worked, it just needed to be reset to default to delete previous owner info. Well I did that the same day I got it...and now i have a few issues but mainly it's my dvd drive. It wont open by...
  10. DVD drive

DVD drive: Sometimes when I insert something in my USB port(slot) my DVD drive will disappear and I have to reboot the computer to get it back. Anybody got any ideas of what's going on, so weird. 90142