Windows 10: Unable to use Fingerprint reader to bypass BIOS password after reboot

Discus and support Unable to use Fingerprint reader to bypass BIOS password after reboot in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I have a new fingerprint reader that I installed under Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkstation P300 that was working ok. Upon reboot the bios would... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by wcsusername, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Unable to use Fingerprint reader to bypass BIOS password after reboot

I have a new fingerprint reader that I installed under Windows 10 on a Lenovo Thinkstation P300 that was working ok.

Upon reboot the bios would prompt me for a password in order to bootstrap to Windows and then swipe my finger again to login to Windows 10 as.

My PC is setup to enter a password from the bios during bootup. After installing the fingerprint reader upon a reboot the bios would prompt me of a fingerprint in order to boot to Windows 10, I'm able to login by swiping my finger from the reader.

However after a while the bios reboot no longer prompts to scan a finger and I need to manually enter a password from the keyboard to boot to Windows 10 login.

Apparently the bios stopped prompting me for a fingerprint scan upon a reboot.

I can remember years ago fingerprint software and drivers had an option where one only needed to scan a finger once during bios reboot and the pc would boot up into Windows (also password protected). One fingerprint scan would get you past both the bios and Windows login. However I don't see that option under Windows 10.

I'm running the latest bios which was updated prior to installing the fingerprint reader, which is working ok except now during a reboot the bios no longer prompts me.

Perhaps I need to reset the bios admin password?

***Modified title from: Reboot, bios quit promting for fingerprint scan, Windows Login ok***

:)

wcsusername, Jan 9, 2019
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Can I use a Fingerprint Security Reader with NO Win 10 Password?

But he doesn't want to use the fingerprint reader to sign in to Windows with. He wants the fingerprint reader to sign into LastPass with, which stores passwords for websites. He would go to a website requiring a password, LastPass then asks for a master password, which he would swipe his finger to provide, then LastPass provides the password to the website. As far as I know, there is no requirement to use the fingerprint reader to sign into Windows with in order to use the fingerprint reader with LastPass.

NavyLCDR, Jan 9, 2019
  3. pbcopter Win User
    fingerprint readers

I am using the following with good results with Windows 10

https://www.amazon.com/BIO-key-Finge.../dp/B01L7XO5H2

pbcopter, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Mike1951 Win User

Unable to use Fingerprint reader to bypass BIOS password after reboot

Prefer Fingerprint Reader use Password Instead of PIN

I just purchased a modest Toshiba laptop to replace my five year old HP laptop. Being new to W10, I am not impressed with and do not trust the use of a PIN rather than a sophisticated password.

The USB reader I bought for the Toshiba is an Eikon using Authentec driver. I dislike the apparent limitation of Windows Hello to only associate the fingerprint reader with the PIN. But my real issue is that this prevents my using the FP reader to also open my password program.

On my HP laptop, I have this capability with SimplePass. I actually attempted to install HP's SimplePass on the Toshiba, but it would not install.

Unless I'm overlooking a way to do this with W10, I'm looking for a utility that will store password(s) for use by the FP reader both for logon and accessing, at the minimum, my password program.

I do not wish to change the password for my password program to the Hello PIN just to achieve the dual function.

Any enlightenment and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike1951, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Unable to use Fingerprint reader to bypass BIOS password after reboot

1. Unable to use Fingerprint reader to bypass BIOS password after reboot - Similar Threads - Unable Fingerprint reader

2. Fingerprint Reader unable to start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fingerprint Reader unable to start: Hello everyone, I am using Windows 11 Home Single Language Version 22H2 OS build 22621.900 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0 I recently discovered that my fingerprint reader does not recognize my prints. I removed my sign-in information from Windows...
  3. Fingerprint Reader unable to start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fingerprint Reader unable to start: Hello everyone, I am using Windows 11 Home Single Language Version 22H2 OS build 22621.900 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0 I recently discovered that my fingerprint reader does not recognize my prints. I removed my sign-in information from Windows...
  4. Fingerprint reader

Fingerprint reader: Hy i just bought an Asus Studiobook pro 16 brand new winth windows 11 Pro,and when i try to Setup the Microsoft Hello Fingerprint sign in ,when it asked to put sa finger on the sensor ,nothing happening.The driver is up to date,the Laptop is with Fingerprint reader ,i try...
  5. Fingerprint reader

Fingerprint reader: My Precision5530 will not let me use the fingerprint reader to sign into my computer. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fingerprint-reader/b314b40e-f1d8-4656-8445-ce60053a472c
  6. fingerprint reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    fingerprint reader: I have had my yoga C940 for about two weeks and my fingerprint reader has been working fine. then all of a sudden it stops working so I delete it to add another an this happens. I'm totally upset because this is one of the main reasons I purchased his laptop. the windows 10...
  7. Windows Hello and Bio-Key fingerprint readers

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Hello and Bio-Key fingerprint readers: Hi, I'm the IT guy at a smallish hospital here. I have been using a Bio-Key fingerprint reader on my office PC for quite some time and it works awesome, with the exception that it would log me into my other user account from time to time. I used two different fingers for...
  8. Unable to use Fingerprint Reader

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to use Fingerprint Reader: Why can't windows hello in my hp probook 6470b set up a fingerprint password yet there is a fingerprint scanner? current OS windows 10 1909, fp drivers hp protecttools manager and validity fingerprint sensors. will be great to receive help here. Thanks. ***Modified title...
  9. Prefer Fingerprint Reader use Password Instead of PIN

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Prefer Fingerprint Reader use Password Instead of PIN: I just purchased a modest Toshiba laptop to replace my five year old HP laptop. Being new to W10, I am not impressed with and do not trust the use of a PIN rather than a sophisticated password. The USB reader I bought for the Toshiba is an Eikon using Authentec driver. I...
  10. Unable to bypass opening password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to bypass opening password: I have 4 family members on same pc. Under USER ACCOUNTS all are shown as homeusers & my wife & I are additionally shown as administrators. The PW box on USER ACCOUNTS remains unticked. However whatever I try i cannot seem to overule the settings which require me/us to...