Windows 10: Unable to use headphones.

Discus and support Unable to use headphones. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently out of the blue, my PC stopped recognizing my headphones as an audio output device. Normally when this happens I just unplug and re-plug back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ronin1111111111111, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Unable to use headphones.

Recently out of the blue, my PC stopped recognizing my headphones as an audio output device. Normally when this happens I just unplug and re-plug back in my headphones and then it prompts me with a "select what type of device" window and I always select Headphones and it works from there. However, after trying to re-plug my headphones I noticed they weren't working as usual. I tried unplugging and plugging them back in multiple times and still to no avail. I then checked to see if I needed to update my drivers, no luck there either. I set my monitor as my default audio output and then set the headphones as a default audio output and still no luck.

In the sound mixer is says the headphones are there.

Unable to use headphones. 15d59902-a9b3-4add-93d4-db876a10dd7d?upload=true.png

However, no sound plays from them, and whenever I start playing audio it comes out of my monitor.

Unable to use headphones. a0822e7e-fd9d-4b94-9825-20e6b46a2dd1?upload=true.png

I've tried disabling my monitor to see if it would then come out of my headphones and that didn't solve it.

I've tried going into my audio device manager and tried to play a test through my headphones but I'm always prompted with an "Error playing test audio" window.

I'm completely lost and have no clue how to solve this.

Thank you for reading and for your time.

:)

ronin1111111111111, Apr 4, 2020

2. Unable to access headphones after upgrading to Windows 10.

Hi Clayton,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As per the description I understand that you are unable to access the headphones after upgrading to Windows 10, do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your laptop?
    • Is this issue specific only to the headphones?
    • Is your headphones working fine on other devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the headphones?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated drivers after upgrading to Windows 10. Try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to check if the headphones is set to playback device.

Follow the below:

• Connect the headphones to your device.
    • Right click on the sound icon at the bottom right corner of the taskbar.
    • Click on Playback devices.
    • Check if you are able to find the headphone in the list of connected playback devices.
    • If yes, click on the icon and then click on Set default option.
    • Click on Apply and then on OK.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates after upgrade to Windows 10.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates
    • Try to install the updates being shown.
    Also, visit the computer manufacturer’s website and install the drivers being found and check if it helps.

Hope it helps. Kindly reply back to us with the detailed description of this issue, we will be glad to assist you.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 4, 2020
  3. Unable To Connect Boase Headphones To ASUS Laptop.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the model number of the Bose headphone?
    2. How are you trying to connect the headphones to the laptop?
    3. What is the model number of your ASUS laptop?
    4. Are you using a wired or a wireless Bose headphone?

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned in Connecting To A Computer
    and try connecting your headphones to the laptop.

If you are still facing issues connecting the headphones to the laptop, I suggest you to elaborate on the issue, so that we can understand the concern and reply to us to help you further.

Shafeeq_Khan, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Unable to use headphones.

[WTB][EU]   Beginner audiophile headphones

i would also recommend looking at the Audio Technica m50s if this is your first step into audiophile headphones.

most of the cans you listed will also need an amp to push them.

THRiLL KiLL, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Unable to use headphones.

1. Unable to use headphones. - Similar Threads - Unable headphones

2. Bluetooth Connection Issue: Unable to Connect Headphones After Uninstalling Mediatek...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth Connection Issue: Unable to Connect Headphones After Uninstalling Mediatek...: Hello everyone,I'm experiencing a frustrating issue with my Bluetooth connection and I'm hoping someone here might be able to offer some insight or assistance.For context, I've been having trouble connecting my Bluetooth headphones for the past couple of days. Whenever I...
  3. Bluetooth Connection Issue: Unable to Connect Headphones After Uninstalling Mediatek...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth Connection Issue: Unable to Connect Headphones After Uninstalling Mediatek...: Hello everyone,I'm experiencing a frustrating issue with my Bluetooth connection and I'm hoping someone here might be able to offer some insight or assistance.For context, I've been having trouble connecting my Bluetooth headphones for the past couple of days. Whenever I...
  4. The Mic is being detected as a headphone Unable to change the method to "mic in" in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Mic is being detected as a headphone Unable to change the method to "mic in" in windows 11: The Mic is being detected as a headphone Unable to change the method to "mic in" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-mic-is-being-detected-as-a-headphone-unable-to/c43ebbbb-49f4-44a7-871c-9c5fbf73c043
  5. The Mic is being detected as a headphone Unable to change the method to "mic in" in windows 11

The Mic is being detected as a headphone Unable to change the method to "mic in" in windows 11: The Mic is being detected as a headphone Unable to change the method to "mic in" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-mic-is-being-detected-as-a-headphone-unable-to/c43ebbbb-49f4-44a7-871c-9c5fbf73c043
  6. Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working: I am using a headset with a built in microphone. I am running Windows 10. When I plug in the headset to the front audio jack, I use Dell Audio Manager via RealTek to select "headset w/ microphone". I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall all audio and speaker drivers. I...
  7. Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working

Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working: I am using a headset with a built in microphone. I am running Windows 10. When I plug in the headset to the front audio jack, I use Dell Audio Manager via RealTek to select "headset w/ microphone". I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall all audio and speaker drivers. I...
  8. Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Suddenly Unable to Switch Audio to Bluetooth Headphone!

Suddenly Unable to Switch Audio to Bluetooth Headphone!: Hello,Similar things have been asked, but nothing I saw seemed to be my exact problem. This is very very important and I need it fixed as soon as possible, I really hope I can get some help.The issue:Audio will not switch to bluetooth headset even after connected. Unable to...
  10. Suddenly Unable to Switch Audio to Bluetooth Headphone!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suddenly Unable to Switch Audio to Bluetooth Headphone!: Hello,Similar things have been asked, but nothing I saw seemed to be my exact problem. This is very very important and I need it fixed as soon as possible, I really hope I can get some help.The issue:Audio will not switch to bluetooth headset even after connected. Unable to...