Windows 10: Unable to use keyboard in Windows apps

Discus and support Unable to use keyboard in Windows apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I just recently began to have an issue typing and using the mouse pad of my computer on Windows-based apps. I've been able to type just fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sydney413, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Sydney413 Win User

Unable to use keyboard in Windows apps

Hello,

I just recently began to have an issue typing and using the mouse pad of my computer on Windows-based apps. I've been able to type just fine in the past, and it seems like this is only affecting apps that come with Windows 10 (I've been able to use my keyboard just fine on apps I've downloaded onto this computer). I haven't tested it on every app, but so far I haven't been able to type and use the mouse pad on Mail, Calendar, Settings, Sticky Notes, and the Search Bar.

My computer is touchscreen and the type where you can take off the keyboard and use it as a tablet, and I thought it was a problem with just my keyboard at first. I tried taking the keyboard off and putting it back on, but it didn't work. Like I said though, I'm able to use other apps I've downloaded just fine, so I'm fairly certain this isn't the case.

I'm on Windows 10, Version 1803 if that helps. I've already tried restarting my computer, but I still have this problem.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Sydney413, Nov 19, 2018

2. Unable to use keyboard on Windows 10.

Hi Hank,

Please let us know the make and model of your device.

This issue might be due to corrupted or outdated drivers. I suggest you to follow the steps below and check.

Step 1: Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on troubleshooting, then click on “Hardware and Devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and your hardware troubleshooting will start.

Step 2: Update keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.

• Expand ‘Keyboard’ from the list.

• Right click on the driver and select ‘update driver software’ and follow the prompts.

Please get back to us with the results of the issue in regards with keyboard and any other questions you might have regarding Windows operating system. We are happy to assist.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Nov 19, 2018
  3. Keyboard problem in Windows 10

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to check if the issue persists when you connect another keyboard to your system.

If the issue is with the keyboard, then suggest you to update the keyboard drivers by following the steps below.

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Device Manager
      from the list.

• Expand ‘Keyboard’ from the list.

• Right click on the driver and select ‘update driver software’ and follow the prompts.

Hope the information is helpful.

SujataMoktan, Nov 19, 2018
  4. Dos101 Win User

Windows Phone users Clubhouse

I think I'll put a list of people's favourite apps in the OP, starting with my own until I get some suggestions, but you can take a look at the Windows Phone app store at the top apps to see what's popular http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store

You are both now added, welcome! *Toast :toast:

Dos101, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

1. Unable to use keyboard in Windows apps - Similar Threads - Unable keyboard apps

2. Unable to sign into Windows using the touch keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to sign into Windows using the touch keyboard: I currently have my device set up to use the touch keyboard. After I updated to Windows 11, version 22H2, and restarted Windows, I find that I’m no longer able to enter my password at the sign-in screen. When I tap on the touch keyboard to try to enter my login password,...
  3. Unable to sign into Windows using the touch keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to sign into Windows using the touch keyboard: I currently have my device set up to use the touch keyboard. After I updated to Windows 11, version 22H2, and restarted Windows, I find that I’m no longer able to enter my password at the sign-in screen. When I tap on the touch keyboard to try to enter my login password,...
  4. Unable to Use Chinese Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Use Chinese Keyboard: Hello! I just downloaded the system's Chinese keyboard. However, there are certain issues when I'm typing certain words like hao - it comes out as ha'o instead of hao and I'm not given the word for hao good. It's the same when I try to type words with more than two letters....
  5. Unable to Use Chinese Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Use Chinese Keyboard: Hello! I just downloaded the system's Chinese keyboard. However, there are certain issues when I'm typing certain words like hao - it comes out as ha'o instead of hao and I'm not given the word for hao good. It's the same when I try to type words with more than two letters....
  6. Unable to use touchpad while using keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to use touchpad while using keyboard: I have a brand new windows 10 laptop and haven't been able to find any way to turn off smart sense or anything to fix this issue. I go into control panel and my mouse settings just aren't there to begin with. when i go into settings nothing indicates any way to change any of...
  7. Unable to use keyboard in WinRE

Unable to use keyboard in WinRE: I recently started having "KERNEL MODE HEAP CORRUPTION" bluescreens (after I login) after installing the latest update, so I tried to fix it by uninstalling the latest Quality Update through WinRE. But the problem still persists. Then when I tried to enter WinRE the second...
  8. Unable to use keyboard in WinRE

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to use keyboard in WinRE: I recently started having "KERNEL MODE HEAP CORRUPTION" bluescreens (after I login) after installing the latest update, so I tried to fix it by uninstalling the latest Quality Update through WinRE. But the problem still persists. Then when I tried to enter WinRE the second...
  9. Unable to use keyboard

Unable to use keyboard: Good afternoon. I have an ASUS FX502VMZ laptop. This morning the keyboard backlight mysteriously wasn't working. Went the ASUS website to download ATK package which fixed the backlight, but the keyboard stopped working. Contacted ASUS support and they had me download ATK...
  10. Unable to use keyboard and mouse on Windows 7

Unable to use keyboard and mouse on Windows 7: After installing windows 10, I'm unable to use my keyboard and mouse after the logo screen in windows 7. Everything works fine in the BIOS, but as so as that loading screen for Windows 7 comes up, the lights on the keyboard go off, and I cant use either the mouse or keyboard....