Windows 10: Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually.

Discus and support Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to convert my system from MBR to GPT in Windows 10 Recovery Mode Command Prompt but sadly I am getting the following error when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lolcocks, May 12, 2019.

1. lolcocks Win User

Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually.

Hello,

I am trying to convert my system from MBR to GPT in Windows 10 Recovery Mode Command Prompt but sadly I am getting the following error when I try to do so:

Code: MBR2GPT: Attempting to convert disk 0 MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes MBR2GPT: Trying to shrink the system partition MBR2GPT: Trying to shrink the OS partition Cannot find room for the EFI system partition. MBR2GPT: Conversion failed[/quote]
    There is 37 GB of free space available on C drive and 73 on D drive. I only have two drives.

Then I started Windows and went into Disk Management and tried to shrink my C drive from there and I got the following error:

Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually. [​IMG]

A screenshot of my Disk Management:

Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually. [​IMG]

I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1809, clean installed.

:)

lolcocks, May 12, 2019

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, May 12, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Need help with MBR2GPT.

From the log file. It appears that you only have one partition ie. C: which also contains the boot manager to boot from. There's no System Reserved partition as a normal MBR Windows installation (500MB System Reserved and C: drive). MBR2GPT is picky about the current disk layout of Windows, if not properly configured, it will fail the conversion.

Open Disk Management and try to shrink C drive about 2GB and leave it unallocated, if failed then that means your C drive is fragmented. Defrag the disk and shrink again. Once done, try MBR2GPT. If failed again then post back the result and we can try different way.

topgundcp, May 12, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Need help with MBR2GPT.

Yeah - if no system reserved partition it can be tricky.

cereberus, May 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually. - Similar Threads - Unable MBR2GPT shrinking

2. macrium reflect shrink partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium reflect shrink partition: I'm using macrium reflect free making images of my ssd and hdd together in one file. My ssd is 256 Gbyte.(one C: partition) If I install a new 250Gbyte ssd wiil the reflect restore process after drag and drop the c: partition from the old ssd to the new ssd in the restore...
  3. shrink size of c drive while partitioning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shrink size of c drive while partitioning: Error "Access is denied" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shrink-size-of-c-drive-while-partitioning/9d56b50a-0b10-406b-bdd5-0bb96bdf9791"
  4. Unable to Shrink Volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Shrink Volume: Just got an ASUS laptop. In Disk Management I want to shrink C: a small amount and use the partition for my data. But, regardless of what value I put in Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB I get The parameter is incorrect The size that is available to shrink is 45032...
  5. Disk management fails to shrink volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk management fails to shrink volume: I want to shrink the G: volume but Disk Management shows the following error after the "Querying available shrink space ..." message: "An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then...
  6. mbr2gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mbr2gpt: Evening all , I recently bought a new harddrive , I tried to convert using this method as it said the conversion rate was rapid taking only seconds . I must have done it wrong because my drive still shows 1.99TB and 2.93MB can someone please tell me how to complete the...
  7. How to shrink a partition in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to shrink a partition in Windows 10: Warning: It’s always better to backup your important data before resizing your partitions. I- Why would I ever need to resize a drive? Well, I’ll start with our famous problem: Drive C: doesn’t have enough space for Windows updates, programs, downloads …etc. Therefore, we...
  8. Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Use Unallocated Space to Extend Partition: I just cloned my 250 GB SSD to a 500 GB SSD and installed the 500 GB SSD into my laptop. There is about 228 GB that is unallocated. I want to extend the D partition to use all of this unallocated space (unless it's a good idea to leave some space unallocated)? I've...
  9. Partition Prerequisites for converting to GPT using MBR2GPT

Partition Prerequisites for converting to GPT using MBR2GPT: Hi I am looking into converting from a BIOS based system to UEFI using MBR2GPT but I understand there are specific rules for the layout of the system disk. Currently I have four Primary partitions comprising System Reserved, Windows 7, Windows 10 and an unnamed partition...
  10. Help using MBR2GPT on my system

Help using MBR2GPT on my system: I've been trying to install Windows 1607 as a dual boot, thread How to downgrade Windows 10 from 1709 to 1607 - Windows 10 Forums. The question came up about converting from MBR to GPT. It's not working for me. I want to make a separate thread for this particular problem....