Windows 10: Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually.

Discus and support Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to convert my system from MBR to GPT in Windows 10 Recovery Mode Command Prompt but sadly I am getting the following error when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lolcocks, May 12, 2019.

1. lolcocks Win User

Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually.

Hello,

I am trying to convert my system from MBR to GPT in Windows 10 Recovery Mode Command Prompt but sadly I am getting the following error when I try to do so:

Code: MBR2GPT: Attempting to convert disk 0 MBR2GPT: Retrieving layout of disk MBR2GPT: Validating layout, disk sector size is: 512 bytes MBR2GPT: Trying to shrink the system partition MBR2GPT: Trying to shrink the OS partition Cannot find room for the EFI system partition. MBR2GPT: Conversion failed[/quote]
    There is 37 GB of free space available on C drive and 73 on D drive. I only have two drives.

Then I started Windows and went into Disk Management and tried to shrink my C drive from there and I got the following error:

Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually. [​IMG]

A screenshot of my Disk Management:

Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually. [​IMG]

I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1809, clean installed.

:)

lolcocks, May 12, 2019

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, May 12, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Need help with MBR2GPT.

From the log file. It appears that you only have one partition ie. C: which also contains the boot manager to boot from. There's no System Reserved partition as a normal MBR Windows installation (500MB System Reserved and C: drive). MBR2GPT is picky about the current disk layout of Windows, if not properly configured, it will fail the conversion.

Open Disk Management and try to shrink C drive about 2GB and leave it unallocated, if failed then that means your C drive is fragmented. Defrag the disk and shrink again. Once done, try MBR2GPT. If failed again then post back the result and we can try different way.

topgundcp, May 12, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Need help with MBR2GPT.

Yeah - if no system reserved partition it can be tricky.

cereberus, May 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Unable to use MBR2GPT, shrinking the partition fail even manually. - Similar Threads - Unable MBR2GPT shrinking

2. Mbr2gpt fail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mbr2gpt fail: Hello I recently wanted to update to windows 11 but my drive was mbr so I tried to transfer it to GPT but when I did that I went to the bios and enabled UEFI but it doesn't boot back to windows +if I fix it will it still be gpt or change back to mbr...
  3. Mbr2gpt fail

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mbr2gpt fail: Hello I recently wanted to update to windows 11 but my drive was mbr so I tried to transfer it to GPT but when I did that I went to the bios and enabled UEFI but it doesn't boot back to windows +if I fix it will it still be gpt or change back to mbr...
  4. Mbr2gpt fail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  6. MBR2GPT Failing To Create EFI Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MBR2GPT Failing To Create EFI Partition: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB with 173 GB free space perfectly healthy according to Samsung MagicianI've been battling away with this for days now and it's driving me crazy- trying to convert an MBR system drive to GPT. In the end I performed a repair...
  7. Unable to shrink a partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to shrink a partition: I have a new SSD and am trying to install Windows Home from a USB drive. I can see in Disk Management several partitions that Windows created, but Windows fails to install due to error 0x8007025D. One suggestion from Microsoft is to reduce the partition to 125GB currently...
  8. MBR2GPT fails to convert to GPT despite resizing partitions.

MBR2GPT fails to convert to GPT despite resizing partitions.: I'm trying to use MBR2GPT to enable UEFI secure boot on my system drive (which is currently booting in Legacy mode, Windows 10 Pro 21H1). The process fails repeatedly, returning the following error: MBR2GPT will now attempt to convert the default book disk. If conversion is...
  9. Mbr2gpt fail

Mbr2gpt fail: good day been trying to run this command but so far what i can see there is no recovery partition how can i re create it? In order to do this conversion witnout re i stalling everything...
  10. Partition Prerequisites for converting to GPT using MBR2GPT

Partition Prerequisites for converting to GPT using MBR2GPT: Hi I am looking into converting from a BIOS based system to UEFI using MBR2GPT but I understand there are specific rules for the layout of the system disk. Currently I have four Primary partitions comprising System Reserved, Windows 7, Windows 10 and an unnamed partition...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mbr2gpt can not shrink star partition

2. mbr2gpt unable to shrink

3. mbr2gpt trying to shrink the os partition

4. mbr2gpt conversion failed cannot install bootfile,
  5. mbr2gpt: trying to shrink the os partition,
  6. mbr2gpt /convert failed run manually,
  7. MBR2GPT could not shrink system partition,
  8. mbr2gpt cannot shrink the volume