Windows 10: Unable to use Microphone

Discus and support Unable to use Microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I have had this microphone/headset combination for 2 months now and all of a sudden my computer wont recognize me speaking into the mic. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BradenMussat, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Unable to use Microphone

Hello,

I have had this microphone/headset combination for 2 months now and all of a sudden my computer wont recognize me speaking into the mic. I've tried to unplug it and use the regular computer microphone and it doesn't seem to pick up that anything is talking. The headset works fine but the computer can't sense a microphone. Please help quick!

***Original title: Computer Microphone***

:)

BradenMussat, Feb 2, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Feb 2, 2019
  3. Unable to use microphones

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the recording. I will be glad to assist you with this issue.

This might be due to some incorrect audio settings or it might be due to the outdated audio HD drivers. Let’s try the following methods and check if that resolves the issue.

Method 1: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled and is set as default.

Step 1:

Make sure that the microphone that you are using is not disabled and is set as default in the computer. Follow these steps to check this:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.
    • Now, right click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.
    • Select “Microphone” and click on “Properties” and make sure that the microphone is enabled.
    • You may also check if the microphone that you are using is set as default.
    Step 2: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

a) Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

b) Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

c) Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

d) Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

e) Click Apply and OK.

Now, check the issue. If it is already enabled, then try the next method and check the issue.

Method 2: Run Recording Audio Troubleshooter

This troubleshooter is an automated Windows 8 inbuilt tool which finds and fixes the common issues with the recording audio devices and its settings. Perform these steps to run this tool and check if that helps.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Recording Audio”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
    If this does not help, then let’s try updating the sound card drivers and check if that resolves the issue.

Method 3: Update the Sound Card Drivers.

Step 1: Check the Windows updates for any latest driver updates.

Check in Windows updates if any driver updates are available. If so, install the same and check if it helps.

Step 2: Update Driver Software from the Manufacturer’s website:

Go to the computer or sound card manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 8 audio drivers available for the sound card model and then install it by following the instructions given in the website.

I hope the above suggestion helps. If you need further assistance, get back to us and we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Feb 2, 2019
  4. Unable to use Microphone

microphone is not working

Hi Junezryaz,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10 and your steps in solving the issue.

I suggest you to run the microphone troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooter” in the search box and press Enter.
    • Click on ‘View All’ on the top left corner.
    • Click on “Recording Audio” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful. Please revert back with the necessary information and we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 2, 2019
Thema:

Unable to use Microphone

1. Unable to use Microphone - Similar Threads - Unable Microphone

2. Unable to record audio on powerpoint and microphone is unresponsive. Dell inspiron 15 5501

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to record audio on powerpoint and microphone is unresponsive. Dell inspiron 15 5501: Someone please help. I have a powerpoint I have to turn in for a class that I can't record any audio on. It says powerpoint cannot perform this operation because the recording device is unavailable. I've tried going into my settings and allowing access but even testing my...
  3. Unable to record audio on powerpoint and microphone is unresponsive. Dell inspiron 15 5501

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to record audio on powerpoint and microphone is unresponsive. Dell inspiron 15 5501: Someone please help. I have a powerpoint I have to turn in for a class that I can't record any audio on. It says powerpoint cannot perform this operation because the recording device is unavailable. I've tried going into my settings and allowing access but even testing my...
  4. Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working: I am using a headset with a built in microphone. I am running Windows 10. When I plug in the headset to the front audio jack, I use Dell Audio Manager via RealTek to select "headset w/ microphone". I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall all audio and speaker drivers. I...
  5. Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working

Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working: I am using a headset with a built in microphone. I am running Windows 10. When I plug in the headset to the front audio jack, I use Dell Audio Manager via RealTek to select "headset w/ microphone". I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall all audio and speaker drivers. I...
  6. Unable to get headset microphone to work despite the headphones working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Unable to Choose 2 channels for USB Microphone. Please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Choose 2 channels for USB Microphone. Please help: I have recently bought Maono PM461 Series USB Mic but the input is very low.I tried checking it at various platforms but didn't found any resolution.In my Windows 10 settings there is no option to choose the 2-channel setting.Please suggest....
  8. Unable to Choose 2 channels for USB Microphone. Please help

Unable to Choose 2 channels for USB Microphone. Please help: I have recently bought Maono PM461 Series USB Mic but the input is very low.I tried checking it at various platforms but didn't found any resolution.In my Windows 10 settings there is no option to choose the 2-channel setting.Please suggest....
  9. Unable to Choose 2 channels for USB Microphone. Please help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Windows 11 - unable to use laptop's built-in microphone while Apple earbuds are plugged in

Windows 11 - unable to use laptop's built-in microphone while Apple earbuds are plugged in: Hey there! Since June 10th, 2023, I have been unable to use my laptop's built-in microphone whenever my Apple earbuds are plugged in. My laptop, instead of using the native mic, suddenly swaps over to the earbud mic that's designed into the volume remote on the right-ear...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to use microphone on windows 10